Best hiking-style wading boots

J
jrbecca
Go

Troutski
Troutski
Spoil yourself...

Spoil yourself...

If you are serious about wading, figure out how much you can spend and add $45.00... You will never regret it, miles in uncomfortable shoes on dry, even earth is horrible. Now throw in freezing water and very slippery surfaces with the adrenalin pumping... think about it and go all out. JMHO

Chuck

S
Spydeyrch
A good rubber soled Simms boot is good. Another option are the Korkers' boots. I have a pair of the Korkers. I can hike miles and miles in them and they are comfy. The korkers have changeable soles, so you pop on the rubber ones and start hiking. Get to the water and throw on the felt or rubber with studs soles.

One thing that I have noticed though, the korkers rubber soles tend to ear down quite quickly and if they are left out in the sun for even a minimal amount of time, they crack quite quickly. But replacement soles are like $35 so, you can replace them quite cheaply if needs be.

As for the simms, I would go with: either the Rivertekboa, the Rivershed, or the Guide boot. Any of those in Rubber sole. You can add studs to it if needs be for better traction.

I like the simms boots because they are a real boot, like the ones I grew up with mountaineering and climbing. Great ankle support, sturdy sole, lace-up with the exception of the Boa boot.

Take care!

-Spydey

J
john montana
Simms guide boots with rubber soles and cleats. I walk miles and miles when out carping through rough terrain and they have never failed me.

T
Tinker
Are the Simms boots really better or are they just Simms boots? I'm not challenging the recommendation, I'm just curious about what makes the Simms boots worth 200 bucks. Aren't there other boots that are just as or nearly as comfortable and supportive, but cost less?

I'm a tightwad.

F
fredaevans
The new 'style' Korker Chromes with the swap out bottoms. Long walk in the rubber bottoms and hit the river and 'wade in.' Or (me) pull those off and put on the felt-studs.

S
Steeliekiller
I have the cabellas boot style felts and are thee most comfortable boots I've had. They have been around quite some time and the felts are just starting to wear down, I've really put some miles on them. The only down side is they're darn slippery in wet/muddy condition while hiking.

J
john montana
I have used cabellas, korkers, and redington boots in the past. The Simms are the toughest, which is important to me. I walk a lot of uneven stuff and long distances and having something tough is key. The korkers sounded great n theory but the soles kept coming off when I was in the field. Good boots...but if you are distance hiking I would look another direction. I hike along the river, so stopping to fish and change soles isn't really what I do...I am walking and looking for fish in the water or near the water the entire time. I love the Simms boots.