Bead and yarn ball under a bobber?

U
Utahutes
Just learning to fish for steelhead and salmon. Good or bad idea to fish a bead and yarn ball under a bobber THANKS

Solution
yes, 'yarnie and a bead' under a bobber is what I use for winter steelhead. I normally have a yarnie on the first hook (and add eggs to it until I run out) and the second hook ('dropper') has a soft bead on it.

here is a shot of the rig I was running during swift high, OFF color water back in early 2020. it's difficult to see but the upper hook has a red yarnie that I just loaded it up with eggs, the lower hook has a big (14mm) soft bead. you might also notice I have a split shot between the hooks to push the hooks down on this high water day.

and that day, it got me some chrome...

TheKnigit
I never fished with a bead and a yarn ball, but I have caught then on a Oaky floater and a yarn ball, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Reactions: Admin
Chromatose
Some of my more productive days is when I used gear outside of the norm. Ever watch kids fish? With a bit of guidense as to the ethics and logistics they come up with the oddest ideas to catch, and catch fish they do.

Reactions: troutdude and Admin
rogerdodger
yes, 'yarnie and a bead' under a bobber is what I use for winter steelhead. I normally have a yarnie on the first hook (and add eggs to it until I run out) and the second hook ('dropper') has a soft bead on it.

here is a shot of the rig I was running during swift high, OFF color water back in early 2020. it's difficult to see but the upper hook has a red yarnie that I just loaded it up with eggs, the lower hook has a big (14mm) soft bead. you might also notice I have a split shot between the hooks to push the hooks down on this high water day.

and that day, it got me some chrome...

Reactions: allforthefish, Utahutes and Admin
Solution
troutdude
Pepper approved too boot!

U
Utahutes
yes, 'yarnie and a bead' under a bobber is what I use for winter steelhead. I normally have a yarnie on the first hook (and add eggs to it until I run out) and the second hook ('dropper') has a soft bead on it...
I was kinda thinking bead 2 inchess above yarn with scent

Artwo
I saw some fish (some very big) caught on some out of the ordinary setups this last winter steelhead season so you never know until ya try.......

rogerdodger
Would it work or give it a try

my standard advice for fish that can be difficult to catch (I think steelhead might qualify) is to get familiar with a few of the popular techniques, get to where you are regularly hooking/landing fish, and then start experimenting.

F
fish4life
I have caught fish on yarn with bead, but the bead wasn't above the hook, right next to it, I m not sure exactly why you should run bead above hook, maybe helps with hook ratio, I were to think fish maybe hooked outside the mouth.

U
Utahutes
I have caught fish on yarn with bead, but the bead wasn't above the hook, right next to it, I m not sure exactly why you should run bead above hook, maybe helps with hook ratio, I were to think fish maybe hooked outside the mouth.
I was thinking like 1'- 1 1/2 inches above yarn ball to peg my bead