Bass fishing near Oregon State University

S
salmonslammaer
Howdy, I am currently attending OSU and I am interested in some bass fishing information on the matter. I am from Southern California and I am used to bass fishing. Its heating up down there and was hoping that it is here too. I was wondering about any areas around here that can produce some nice bass. I'm not really interested in QUALITY, but more of QUANTITY. It could be smallmouth or largemouth. Doesn't really matter. PMs are welcome as well. Thanks and tight lines.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF; and GO BEAVS!

There's the Long Tom River (north of Fern Ridge dam to the mouth of the Willy). Plus, there's Fern Ridge damn. Have not heard of smallies in the lake; but I've caught LOTS of smallies in the River. The river above the reservoir, holds some smallies too...I believe in the lower portions, closest to the lake.

Here's a map of Fern Ridge:

Fern Ridge Lake pic.jpg

There's also bucketmouths, in the far western lake of Freeway (often also mistakenly called Threeway) Lakes. You can't fish it, though, unless you have a boat or toon.

And there is Simpson's Ponds, in Albany.

P.S. You'll want to get landowner permission, along the Long Tom. And I also forgot two lakes to the east. Foster has smallies, and Green Peter has bucketmouths. Plus, Olalla and Big Creek Reservoirs (near Toledo and Newport) both have bucketmouths too...if you'd like to fish near the coast.

Last edited:
M
medco_bass
Get in touch with the bass team up there they know a lot of the places

B
bassin16
The marys has some along with the willy. Truax Island on riverside dr off hwy 34 has a few small ponds that hold bass. There are a lot of ponds in Albany that have bass in them as well.

L
lilsalmon
You can fish from the bank at Freeway lakes....there are a ton of good spots. A toon would be better but banking it is definitely possible. I was just there yesterday and there were a ton of people on the bank....Now, if your fly fishing...it is way too boring from the bank.