Bank angler abuse?

K
Knot Fishing Sober
While I'm at clackamette eating lunch I thought I could vent it out since I can't find the jerks that did it.. I'm out today trying to catch my first chrome. It's hard enuff to keep positive being new to the state and having to learn all the techinalities that go into fishing here. I've spent a fortune on gear and countless hours reading, driving around scouting, and fishing.. Today I'm fishing the clack under the 99 bridge. Just threw out a nice jig the guy at bc angling sold me this morning. Work my bobber into a nice little seam and start meding my line. All of a sudden some guy comes flying around the corner in a boat and spools me in about 3 seconds. There goes another 20 bucks in braid. I can't catch a cold in this state let alone a fish. So anyways I guess I'm headed to fishermans to re spool my new reel and drop yet even more money. Then I'm gonna try cross park. Welcome to Oregon tourists!

T
TimberTodd
Sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately you will come across folks who will try your patience where ever you go. Don't let them discourage you though.

D
DrTheopolis
Sled A-hole is the elite of the river A-holes, and Clackamas River Sled A-hole rules the A-hole roost.

Always try to get hull numbers of unsafe boaters. And he's legally responsible to replace your line (although good luck with that). The old semi-unwritten rule of "boats yield to bankies" doesn't mean much anymore.

Last year, we had multiple problems with a guy in a black Willie Predator with a whatchamajigger 250 horse (is it Force with the red lettering?). I'm about the most forgiving, non-confrontational guy you'll ever not meet, but I'd have no problem sending a large rock his way. He just about sank an anchored boat as he did 50+ past the Barton ramp. Got a call from another friend on the river that day, asking "Did you see a guy in a black Predator? I want to kill him." If anybody knows that guy (he's probably 50-55, and I've only seen him by himself), you'd be doing him a favor to tell him there's many people upset with him. I mean, I realize he owns the Clack, but he should be nicer to his guests.

H
halibuthitman
DrTheopolis said:
Sled A-hole is the elite of the river A-holes, and Clackamas River Sled A-hole rules the A-hole roost.

Always try to get hull numbers of unsafe boaters. And he's legally responsible to replace your line (although good luck with that). The old semi-unwritten rule of "boats yield to bankies" doesn't mean much anymore.

Last year, we had multiple problems with a guy in a black Willie Predator with a whatchamajigger 250 horse (is it Force with the red lettering?). I'm about the most forgiving, non-confrontational guy you'll ever not meet, but I'd have no problem sending a large rock his way. He just about sank an anchored boat as he did 50+ past the Barton ramp. Got a call from another friend on the river that day, asking ?"Did you see a guy in a black Predator? I want to kill him." If anybody knows that guy (he's probably 50-55, and I've only seen him by himself), you'd be doing him a favor to tell him there's many people upset with him. I mean, I realize he owns the Clack, but he should be nicer to his guests.

must be the brother of the 50-54- year old dink who runs the white North river sled on the Mult channel.. flies up on you at 45, throws it in reverse and just about throws his anchor onto your engine hood, then with this howdy doody smile shouts out "hows feeshin!" I swear its Capt Rons dad..

Last edited by a moderator:
K
Knot Fishing Sober
Yeah no way to read hull numbers on this guy I was busy making sure my drag was loose and pole was in my hand tight! I know it was two younger guys, the guy not driving was looking at me the whole time. I hurried back to meldrum in hopes of seeing them but they were gone.

S
salmonguy70094
Sorry to hear that it happens everywhere I fish the mckenzie a lot during the spring run a honestly think motors should be banned nothing like plunking from the bank and a sled tearing ar.ound. the corner. and tearing by you at 30 mph. As for the fish here winters are very tough but when you get one there is nothing like it.

D
DrTheopolis
On the Clack, I would suggest a 25hp max above Carver, except there'd be pitchforks and torches surrounding my house, and the Mayor of the Clack, Mr. Bob Toman would be impacted.

Compromise at Barton. Or Bob's house.

C
chrisohm
I had an issue like that this last summer. The captain was lucky he turned in time too because his boat would have been trashed by the low water and rocks near me. 5 feet off the bank at Cross Park. Got a good lashing from the braid snapping as I saved the rod. Saved both fishing rigs from my pole and my friend's pole and only lost 1 weight and half a spool of line. It was too dark at that point to see the boat clearly.

Always carry a slingshot or fish from a bank with good throwing gravel....2000mw green lazer pens are not recommended.

Cross park is better water from my experience. You can also go across the bridge to fish the other side down from the 205 overpass. Good riffles below that and some more bank access if you follow the trail down to the train tressel. Be careful, there are some slick spots that get worse in icy conditions and the likelihood of meeting a crazy bum with a dog. In the summer, find somewhere else to fish or go early as the "beach bums" start loitering.

S
Steeliekiller
I've had multiple sled Aholes shoot by me as I fished the willows. One of them would shoot through in close an drift right back down, did this aleast 10 times. He hooked my line twice an yelled like it was my fault. Sorry for being a "bank maggot" as sled AHoles call us bank fishers. I have floated the river in the summer and there are much better drifts that we bank anglers can't very well get too.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I have often thought of packing...a paint gun with boosters and high capacity...just a thought. :D

D
DrTheopolis
Steeliekiller said:
I've had multiple sled Aholes shoot by me as I fished the willows.

I'm extremely familiar with he Clack (like every inch below Rivermill, although rarely fish below Riverside). I've heard mention of the Willows, but don't know where it's referring to. Does it have another name?

Maybe it's time for the Marine Patrol to start reining in the irresponsible sledders, and enforcing the laws about passing unpowered boats. They're raising revenue with higher parking fees, why not make the horribly behaved sorts pay some extra?

T
troutmasta
halibuthitman said:
I swear its Capt Rons dad..

"Eh swab gemme another brewski"-

I love that movie!

about the thread- Go up river where there are less _ _ _ _ _ _ _s

B
bigboy70
The willows are high rocks or very close to them depnds who you talk to. This happened to me idk boat but it was huge atleast a 18ft sled and was fishing above the bridges and here comes the sled Ahole. Zooms right by me almost got my line lucky he didn't, i did get a bit of satisfaction when he went up by the old powerhouse and i heard him hit a rock and went from doing 35+ to about 10. My favorite were the guys over this weekend under the walking bridge there decided they were gunna drift in the middle of the river and stayed there going up and down for about an hour till darkness started to come. It is irritating but i wont have to worry about them for a couple weeks now as i will not be able to chase my chrome dream.

Last edited:
K
Knot Fishing Sober
Thanks. I will try farther up river. Maybe eagle creek or something. My common sense told me early season I should fish lower river but I've read they are being caught up by barton already.

D
DrTheopolis
Dealing with sled guys while in a drift boat is always a treat.