Baitcaster

F
fishing man
does anyone no what a bait caster reel is used for???

T
Thuggin4Life
casting bait duh. lol. I use levelwinds to troll with. just started to learn to cast with them. some people swear by them. I feel comfortable casting heavy things but still like spinning reels. All about preferences.

F
Finneus Polebender
Use mine for as thuggin said heavier lures/baits mostly Bass fishin w/lg artificials , jigs ,spinner baits ,and buzz baits . Personally think if you want to target big bass they are a must along w /braided line and a broomstick pole. also use them for rock/jetty fishin and for the few times a year that I have went after Channel cats. luv the way they work for my topwater lures and the cats meow when fighting big fish , will agree though they take a bit of practice to learn to cast without backlash. They work awesome in almost any trolling situation ! definitly spend as much time on my baitcaster as I do on my spinnin rod.

F
fishing man
ive got the casting down and its on a large pole so i was thinking i could use it on lakes when im fishing from the shore

T
Thuggin4Life
Bring it next time you go. My experiance is for trout the gear isn't heavy enough to use it right.

troutdude
Bait casters (people using them), cast farther than I could w/ spinning gear--when I fish next to them.

I'm in the process of adding some larger level winds/bait caster reels to my arsenal.

I've already used level winds for trolling. It is much easier to let your trolling gear out, w/ a level wind. Plus, if you don't have line counter--or are not using a down rigger (flat line trolling)--it is easier to mark the depth. I just count the spool rotations as the line goes out.