Automatic fly reel

T
the salmon kid
i just got me a utica automatic fly reel and i am going to try it out and i was wondering what you guys think of automatic fly reels,., this one is pretty old but it still works fine i have never used it i just want some opinions on the reel :think: ,..here is a pic of the reel

• fly reels.jpg
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Automatic reels are cool and, to me, adhere to the "correct" way of line management. That is, not bringing in the fish in with the reel like you would a spinner or a levelwind but rather pulling in several feet of line by hand, then spooling it up on the reel, then collecting more and spooling that up, etc. Of course there really is no correct way of fishing, so I probably should re-consider using the term, but I certainly enjoy that method a lot more. Especially with larger fish as it can be pretty tough to reel them in with no gearing!!!

Cool find!!!

H
halibuthitman
I like fishin little trout with one, hook into a big chromer and your gonna get punished.. also, if you catch a record book fish, it doesn't count if you use an auto reel. I don't know about " proper line managment"... but I almost always play my fish off the reel.. unless they are tiny. Grease that reel up with some remlube before you use it, it will be a lot of fun.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
It's true that spooling your line up with inadequate pressure will cause your line to dig in and bind up with a large fish but it also comes down to the type of reel: Trying to reel up a big fish with direct drive is going to run a VERY high risk of the fish surging, the handle getting caught up in your knuckles and breaking your tippet. With a geared real it's not a problem as it's essentially a level wind with a drag that acts accordingly. To me that's where the distinction should be placed when considering what is and isn't practical for a fly reel and the type of retrieve you chose.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
We never did actually tell you what we think of the reel... I don't like the side mount style.. but it looks like a good reel.. I included photos of the two I ocassionaly use, mostly when teaching kids how to flyfish and I don't want the headache of teaching them line managment while trying to get casting and catching down.
the one on the left is a Martin Mohawk auto reel from the late 50's, and the second is my favorite of all the auto reels.. a Garcia-Matic from back when Abu Garcia still built Great gear, you can buy almost any old auto reel online for around $12... a bargain for a fun cool reel, have fun with yours!

Last edited by a moderator:
T
the salmon kid
thanks guys i really appreciate it and i will see how well this reel works when i take it out this weekend

S
steelhead_slayer
i've never used one, but my fly fishing mentor told me he likes them as a drag against a big fish. and i think i'd like the automatic line pick up