Anybody Have Experience on East Lake?

O
OnTheFly
I could really use some advice to help me figure East Lake out. An Uncle of mine is considering moving to Bend so he can spend more of his retired life duck hunting and fly fishing. This is great news for me because this man is second, next to my Dad, who taught me how to fish and by moving to Oregon would allow us to do just that. I'll have two fishing days in mid July to sell the idea to him. The first day is a no brainer which will be at the Fall River. The meandering stretch of water from the hatchery is absolutely his favorite fly fishing scenario. Day two at East Lake and I have never fished it. We will be in pontoon boats and fly fishing only. If anyone has experience at this lake let me know.

Thanks

F
FishSchooler
All I know that it tainted (is that the right word?) with mercury.

O
Outdrsmn
i have never fly fished this lake. My suggestion would be to stop in at the sun river fly shop while you are at fall river and they should hook you up with everything you need to know.

J
jmelinte
I have little to no experience flyfishing, but I've trolled and casted East Lake several times. What I've seen from flyfishermen has been floating along the west side of the lake. I tend to see them in the SW corner of the lake early in the morning, and then getting farther north away along that coastline as time goes by. I'm not sure as to what they're catching, but that's just what I can remember. Also, the guy who owns and runs the resort is VERY nice and helpful. My best friend and I try to make it every year for about a week, and he has always given us great tips on what's been working for others, and which spots seem to have the most activity.

O
OnTheFly
jmelinte said:
I have little to no experience flyfishing, but I've trolled and casted East Lake several times. What I've seen from flyfishermen has been floating along the west side of the lake. I tend to see them in the SW corner of the lake early in the morning, and then getting farther north away along that coastline as time goes by. I'm not sure as to what they're catching, but that's just what I can remember. Also, the guy who owns and runs the resort is VERY nice and helpful. My best friend and I try to make it every year for about a week, and he has always given us great tips on what's been working for others, and which spots seem to have the most activity.

Thanks for the tip. I will try those areas you suggested and hopefully it will save me a lot of searching time. We will be targeting brown trout and I'll let you know how we do. Thanks again.

H
hydedrifter
I have fished East Lake a lot. I jig for kokes there and have not done much fly fishing. Jigging for them is a ball if you have never tried it.
You need a line counter and a depth/fishfinder and your set.

The folks at the East Lake store know the ins and outs of what is working and where.

Good luck, its a fun lake

M
Mad dog
East lake....I've fished it a lot! A good callebaetis hatch begining in early july. Fish the weed beds at the NE end of the lake near Cinder hill campground in about 10-20 ft. of water, the action can be fast for atlantics, kokanee, planted rainbow and a few bigger browns. Olive pheasant tails work, callebaetis cripples or dries. Lot's of chubs in east hanging around those same weedbeds and the big browns will be there looking for them! Sink some minnow or leech patterns and fish them just over the tops and edges of the weed beds....expect hard strikes!

Troutski
Troutski
OnTheFly said:
I could really use some advice to help me figure East Lake out. An Uncle of mine is considering moving to Bend so he can spend more of his retired life duck hunting and fly fishing. This is great news for me because this man is second, next to my Dad, who taught me how to fish and by moving to Oregon would allow us to do just that. I'll have two fishing days in mid July to sell the idea to him. The first day is a no brainer which will be at the Fall River. The meandering stretch of water from the hatchery is absolutely his favorite fly fishing scenario. Day two at East Lake and I have never fished it. We will be in pontoon boats and fly fishing only. If anyone has experience at this lake let me know.

Thanks

You should take him to the Dechutes between Crane and Lava...This alone will keep him here. Some of the largest Brook Trout in Oregon live in that stretch of water. Sorry don't know any thing about East Lake, except about the BEARS...but that is another story.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Hey thanks guys. I'm taking notes.