Any tips for a first time steelhead angler?

W
Willerman
I am right here with you. Not only with this being my first steelhead season, but also living in Corvallis. Alsea is the best bet right now around here, from what I've read the Siletz will get their run a little later. Refer to this for river levels. Best level from what I hear is anywhere from 4-6 feet, when it is dropping, not rising. It also provides predictions so you can plan ahead:
http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/rfc/

Because it is still early, you might want to try lower in the river - although I just saw a thread about a guy (actually his girlfriend) who hooked one over by the hatchery. Tons of bank access along the Alsea; just find a spot to pull over and get out and look at the water.

Good luck out there, I am still looking for my first steelhead as well.

O
OnTheDrop
The Centerpin is my favorite way to catch Salmon and Steelhead when I'm fishing for myself! It doesn't get much better than the 'Pin....!

jamisonace
jamisonace
bubs said:
I almost get a bit crazy with changing riggings from bobber to drift to spoon/spinner because I'm working all kinds of water..

Good for you! You haven't spent your children's college tuition on a rod for every possible scenario.

B
bubs
jamisonace said:
Good for you! You haven't spent your children's college tuition on a rod for every possible scenario.

Yea man, the old Goodwill special, she does it all

S
steelhead_stalkers
Love the pin! Only thing I'v used the last two years for steelhead. Unless I'm side drifting, might try it though. :D

B
Blackdiamond1983
Only thing that limits my time on the water is kids and a disabled girlfriend. I am thinking about building my own rods and learning how to repair them.