Rivers Alton Baker Canal Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Plenty of carp out there, common and grass I believe

Long brown slender ones as well as shorter gray carp with white stomachs

Weather today is absolutely perfect for a trout, I've caught almost all my big trout there in overcast weather

Could have been a bass? There's also MONSTER pikeminnow out there, 12"+, but they usually fight pretty hard

Reactions: OliverW
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
The fly fisherman on the tube lives out there, he's in one of the canal houses almost up to the first crossover bridge, fishes it quite a bit but never keeps any.

hooksman
hooksman
Yes, overcast weather yields the best fishing in the pond. That's been my experience, and the only trophy-size 'bow I've caught in there was from an overcast morning last October. Yesterday I was fishing powerbait floating worms 2' off the bottom on the south side of the inlet, hoping to hook a perch in between the dinky rainbows. That combined with the lack of a fight is why I thought carp. It was just big and stubborn, I doubt I moved it 2 feet.

Can't blame the float tube guy for not keeping the pond trout. I wouldn't fry one and eat it but they do smoke up alright.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Haven't been out in awhile but man what a blast.

1 bass, 4 bluegill, 11 trout, and 4 pikeminnow.

I had some leftover live worms from the camping trip, every fish was caught weightless on a live worm and 6# test.

Water is back up to winter levels, maybe the cleaned out the grate in the river, or adjusted the flows, but it's plenty deep.

Water is a little stained, got off a little early, just too busy with people.

• 20200812_151839.jpg
  • 20200812_164140.jpg
  • 20200812_170752.jpg
  • inCollage_20200812_180214267.jpg
Reactions: bass, Admin, hooksman and 1 other person
bass
bass
Looks like a really fun day @NKlamerus ! Those bluegill are so pretty. In most years I spend some time chasing them at Hagg but with the crowds being what they are this year I have not done it. When I fished around Newburg I had sunfish follow my lures in multiple times but I did not have anything with me that was small enough to catch them.

Great job and thanks for the report.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Lots of hit and miss reports on Facebook, lots of success at the west D boat ramp, in the river, not on the canal side.

M
Mickdawg75
NKlamerus said:
Lots of hit and miss reports on Facebook, lots of success at the west D boat ramp, in the river, not on the canal side.
Thanks for all your help yesterday on Facebook. Definitely gonna go check out that west D boat ramp , river side sometime next week.

hooksman
hooksman
I haven't used facebook in 5 years. What are people catching in the river at west D? I've scouted a few river spots between Day Island and Ferry Street Bridge but I haven't fished them yet. I have 4 days OFF this week and I'm looking to get caught up.

OliverW
OliverW
NKlamerus said:
I was fishing the canal on Sunday. Could see lots of pike minnow messing with my bait

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Went yesterday for an hour and ahalf.
7 trout and one small bass

People are starting to catch more pikeminnow in the pond, going to be a real nuisance if ODFW doesn't do anything with them.

Seeing LOTS of fresh bass this year, hundreds of little 1-2" Largemouth up and down the creek

Reactions: OliverW and Admin
D
datsunwhacko
NKlamerus said:
I thought I snagged a beaver!

I spooked her from underneath the kayak and made a toss in towards her heading, she smoked it on the sink!
fish the canoe canal right under the interstate......4lb line size 16 egg hook no splitshot pink Pautskeeeez egg. yellow maribou jig caught a 14" & 12" one today. water clear very smart fish. lots of them. prepare to be frustrated with looks and chases but they can be fooled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom