Alsea man arrested for illegal hunt

troutdude
troutdude
I hope that our courts throw the book at this idiot!!!

P
pdxjon
The worst thing I see is the trespassing. People have been filling others tags for years. I wouldn't do it but my dad did fill one of mine when I was a kid.

troutdude
troutdude
The whole issue, revolves around a NEW Oregon law. I forgot to mention that (and don't have time to search for it at the moment).

However, the "worst thing you see is trespassing"? Really? What about hunting out of season (i.e. POACHING)?

T
troutmasta
troutdude said:
I hope that our courts throw the book at this idiot!!!
Its a misdermeanor to POACH 2 bull elk????
Im big on rehabilitation and not punishment for sick people but this deserves good ol fashon justice. Thats insane.
My dad recently stumbled upon a couple of tree stands on his E texas property! God damn whitetail poachers. Free new hunting gear!

P
pdxjon
troutdude said:
The whole issue, revolves around a NEW Oregon law. I forgot to mention that (and don't have time to search for it at the moment).

However, the "worst thing you see is trespassing"? Really? What about hunting out of season (i.e. POACHING)?

Where does it say he is hunting out of season? Don't get me wrong I think he should be punished for every crime he broke. I just said that people have always filled other peoples tags. I wouldn't do it or let someone fill mine but it happens.

J
joesnuffy
Not to mention that the holder of the other tag is going to get into some trouble as well.

F
fishingfreak
WoW! Thats nuts man! Is it really worth it. I will not do anything but Bow hunt now beacause of things like that during rifle season. I was actually on my dads ranch(private Property) rifle hunting and stumbled on some guys poaching and I thought they were gonna shoot at me. So I took off with my Dog, called OSP. It ended up being his neighbor. Shortly after that we recieved threatening letters.lol They were thrown the books at and lost any wildlife priveledges in Oregon for life. They sold their Home and Moved shortly after that! They were using grain and salt licks then would shoot em as they came in. No license No tags! Thats hunting for ya. Here Deer have an apple while my buddy shoots ya!

FF

C
capblack
people do fill others tags, but it sounds like this guy has been doing it a while. he had the two freash kills and another skull in his posession. he was in season, and hunting during the day, but the law is the law. its not the worst case of poaching ive heard of though. the one that really pissed me OFF, was when the people slaughtered a small heard around the silver falls, and took the back strap and left the rest. thats the kind of s**t that really gets my blood boiling. Brian

P
pdxjon
No matter what he broke the law and should be punished. I was just pointing out that he could have been filling his 12 yr old sons tag(which is a crime) and had a skull that he found in the woods. It doesn't even say he was arrested like this thread title states.

D
Damon79
I believe the law about possesion of a skull is a bit sketchy. You can hunt sheds and have the horns in your possesion, but they cannot be attached by bone, without a legal and valid tag. My family has 'party' hunted for years, where sometimes one person may fill several tags in camp. I never saw a thing wrong with it. Nowadays, you just can't afford to do it whether it's right or wrong. I am a very firm believer in taking an animal to feed your family if you have nothing else, but poaching to me is very different. I have not, nor would I kill an animal and not take the entire thing. I dont trophy hunt, I buy tags to fill and put meat in the freezer. The article does say the guy was arrested, but does not state that the third skull did not have a tag.. Maybe it was not killed any more illegaly than one of the other two..

P
pdxjon
Damon79 said:
I believe the law about possesion of a skull is a bit sketchy. You can hunt sheds and have the horns in your possesion, but they cannot be attached by bone, without a legal and valid tag. My family has 'party' hunted for years, where sometimes one person may fill several tags in camp. I never saw a thing wrong with it. Nowadays, you just can't afford to do it whether it's right or wrong. I am a very firm believer in taking an animal to feed your family if you have nothing else, but poaching to me is very different. I have not, nor would I kill an animal and not take the entire thing. I dont trophy hunt, I buy tags to fill and put meat in the freezer. The article does say the guy was arrested, but does not state that the third skull did not have a tag.. Maybe it was not killed any more illegaly than one of the other two..

My bad. After reading it a third time I see that he was arrested.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I grew up in eastern Oregon. There is a family in that particular area that is VERY wealthy. They have huge portions of land, one of which contains a field that funnels into a long, narrow canyon. And the end of this canyon they built a huge fence. When they wanted meat one of the brothers would hop into the chopper and heard all the elk into this canyon and down to the fence where the rest would be waiting with rifles. A slaughter would ensue.

S
strawberry shortcake
Do they own a chain of hotels?

W
waco
the worst thing ever heard was a man killed a deer mama and took the little one home until a osp officer showed up at his house!!! he didn't get arrested or get a ticket!!!

troutdude
troutdude
FYI, the article I originally looked at said somewhere that he WAS arrested. So, that's why it's in the thread title.

P
pdxjon
troutdude said:
FYI, the article I originally looked at said somewhere that he WAS arrested. So, that's why it's in the thread title.

This article says that he was arrested. I was mistaken

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks man. No big deal. (And I didn't see your previous post indicating you had read the article again, until I after I sent my post).

kirkster
kirkster
pdxjon said:
Where does it say he is hunting out of season? Don't get me wrong I think he should be punished for every crime he broke. I just said that people have always filled other peoples tags. I wouldn't do it or let someone fill mine but it happens.

The way I read it was. It was during season. The act of trespassing isn't cool at all. As far as filling other tags in his own party. That's been happening long before any of us were here. My opinion is if you have four tags in your party and four elk are killed and nothing is wasted all is good. Look back at some stories where big bulls have been shot and only the antlers were taken and the entire carcass left to rot. Or the black bear poaching sting in zig zag several years back. Several hundred black bears killed just for there kidneys and paws. Or just all the black market BS sales in general involving our wild game. It happens all over more than most think and it happens 365 days a year.
In all reality the guy broke the law so he shall be punished. As far as throwing the book at him? Maybe he will duck and it will miss him and hit the ones who need to get hit.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
kirkster said:
The way I read it was. It was during season. The act of trespassing isn't cool at all. As far as filling other tags in his own party. That's been happening long before any of us were here. My opinion is if you have four tags in your party and four elk are killed and nothing is wasted all is good. Look back at some stories where big bulls have been shot and only the antlers were taken and the entire carcass left to rot. Or the black bear poaching sting in zig zag several years back. Several hundred black bears killed just for there kidneys and paws. Or just all the black market BS sales in general involving our wild game. It happens all over more than most think and it happens 365 days a year.
In all reality the guy broke the law so he shall be punished. As far as throwing the book at him? Maybe he will duck and it will miss him and hit the ones who need to get hit.

I agree. The practice of wasting game in favor of the trophy is where the emphasis should be placed.