Adding Eyes?

C

Combat Chuck

I have a cheap rod that I will be using a lot. I like it, but it only has 4 eyes in 6'. It seems that is way too few. So can I improve this rod by adding more? Is it a simple thing to do? I'd buy a nicer rod, but I'm cheap and I already have about 10 others:D

Troutski

Troutski

Dicroic...

Dicroic...

I have a cheap rod that I will be using a lot. I like it, but it only has 4 eyes in 6'. It seems that is way too few. So can I improve this rod by adding more? Is it a simple thing to do? I'd buy a nicer rod, but I'm cheap and I already have about 10 others:D

Contact Dichrofisher, he would have the skinny on that type of modification. I personally don't believe one can have to many guides on a rod - now that is just my opinion mind you.

Chuck

C

Combat Chuck

Oh and... its a ML casting rod that I will be using to troll for trout with lead core line.

D

Dichrofisher

Take it to your local rodbuilder for the guides, some thread, and a two part flex coat epoxy. While you are there ask for advice on spacing. The first guide might be the critical one.. and is it one piece?? Search thread on simple rod building jig (can use cardboard box.) It would be a great way to get comfortable with the idea of building a rod when you need one.

C

Combat Chuck

How about I rob the guides off an unused rod, buy some thread and use some 5 minute epoxy? :D I decided to go for it yesterday and finished it tonight (hard to hurt a $10 rod). The thread didn't even match and its not pretty but its solid so im happy! Its a 2 piece and I added 3 guides the top half where the flexing was.

Last edited by a moderator:

1aB

"Combat Chuck", is the line touching the blank on full flex?

C

Combat Chuck

It was before, much better now. Its close but I dont think it will touch.