A sad day for N.fork Santiam fish

S
steelhead1
A buddy and I took A kayak trip down the n santiam yesterday,saw lotsa chinook. But the buzz that comes from whitewater and just being on the river was cut short when we came to the falls at mill city.Normally there are a few peaple fishing for salmon/steelhead around the deadline,but yesterday there was probably fifteen peaple casting tiny spinners,hooking smolt after smolt.The worst part was that most of them were proudly holding up the stringers full of tiny little salmonids:shock:,showing off their ignorance to us and each other.I dont know what to do, but I feel strongly that this kind of poaching should be curbed,however, I dont EVER want to call authorities and tattle,as this goes against my grain.So, any suggestions on a non confrontational way to let these fishermen know what they are doing is against the law,and unethical?Post fliers or something?

G
grampa ron
Salmon Smolts

Salmon Smolts

Just tell them the rules. If they don't care, call the man.

18406ej
18406ej
The Oregon State Police are spread thin enough without having to be on the lookout for this type of activity on their own. It is not tattling when you report legitimate unlawful angling. If, as Grampa Ron says, they don't obey your rgentle and diplomatic reminder of of the rules, call them in.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Speak out,that's your dinner they are stealing

Speak out,that's your dinner they are stealing

Boy,I have to say I agree with grampaRon and E.J. on this issue. Think of it this way, all those smolts on the stringers could have ended up on your own dinner table when they came back from the Pacific. Now,however,you and I will never get the chance to hook any of them. Speak out and save your dinner. ;) Be safe.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
Call OSP. They are part of the reason that our Salmonid runs are dwindling. I too have seen people taking their daily limit of "Trout" on many rivers over the years. Do call, and do inform them that they are poaching.

M
metalmania
Ya man call osp. I'd rather tell on them than watch poachers pilage are rivers. Some of them might not know what there doing is illegal but that's why they give out free reg books. Everyone should know what is legal to keep before they fish.

G
Green_Tackle
Just my 2 cents...

I would approach them in a friendly and NEVER confrontational way and simply let them know. Many people engage in these activities unknowingly--they may just think they're having a great day fishing and have no idea. This certainly is not a good excuse (the reg book is free after all), however, I'd rather enlighten folks if they have nothing but good intentions. If you keep and extra copy of the regs with you, a little bit of knowledge, and a smile, many people will welcome the information. They're likely to be embarrassed.

However, if they don't care then you can go back about your business and call it in and let the police do the policing. A lot of hard work goes into trying to restore and preserve our freshwater fishes and habitats and we all share this responsibility.

A
Anyfishisfine
Wow, even if they thought they were trout, it's closed to trout now for this very reason, right?

Every one of those was a potential tackle buster.

J
juggernaut506
If you politely inform them that what they're doing is illegal and they don't stop pull out a camera. Once they see the camera they usually get nervous and leave. I've used that technique a few times in places where there are very few cops around and it always worked. If possible you can give the police their license plate number so they can keep an eye out for the same people when they patrol the area. In Mill City I'd just call OSP or the Sheriff.

S
steelhead1
thanks,everyone for the feedback.Yes this part of the river is closed for trout,but I dont think there are size restrictions on size of pole/spinners used.still no excuse for keeping the fish.sounds like most of you would have called the law,probably would have been the thing to do...

P
PDXKush
These sad folks will be getting a visit from the Bad Karma fairy. It's idiots like this that ruin it for us honest folks. I'll warn these people once but after that they are fair game in my opinion. And that means exactly what you think it means!

Top Bottom