A different kind of question on the wild vs. hatchery question:

M
moon
A different kind of question on the wild vs. hatchery question:

Just my thoughts here, so don't be saying the “wild fish guys said” cuz these are only my personal thoughts at this time about what might be going on with a question at the end I have been wondering about.

I think that ODFW has to follow certain guidelines when fish are listed under the ESA act whether any of us or even them (odfw) like it or not.

I think ODFW has done a poor job in disseminating the information at hand to the public and things may be coming to head in the near future if the wild runs do not drastically improve.

So you have to decide where “you” are at on the issue's at hand. I have read more freaking watershed, hatchery, and wild fish management plans not to mention a ton of studies and I’ve only scratched the surface to the point I’ve kinda went sign blind to them. (they are not always easy to find) or understand until they get to the place where they break down the causes of decline and recommendations for recovery.

I happen to believe what they say, and I know a lot of folks don't also. But because I believe what they say – I'm on board with protecting the McKenzie as best as possible as I also believe it is the last bastion of hope in the upper watersheds in our basin.

I'm going to finish with my thoughts by saying once again - “I do not want or have ever wanted the McKenzie River (or any other) fly fishing only”... I'm also not going to try and redirect my question at hand so if you want to misdirect or hijack this thread then go ahead.

So I’d like to ask you to think this question over (remembering I think odfw has done a poor job in getting the information they have out to you/us the public).

If it hits the fan around here, or anywhere else in the state particularly as the ESA listings go -

Are you going to be angry that ODFW didn't make the information at hand more available to you/us?

Moon

F
FlyBum
YES!! As a public entity the ODFW has an obligation and duty to Educate the Public.

brandon4455
brandon4455
:clap: .. there is a lot of fishing related stuff i should have known about when i was younger but that information was not available to me, i think they should try harder to educate the fishing community or people in general for that matter.

R
rippin fish lips
brandon4455 said:
:clap: .. there is a lot of fishing related stuff i should have known about when i was younger but that information was not available to me, i think they should try harder to educate the fishing community or people in general for that matter.

Took the words out of my mouth. There is my answer to.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I lean more towards personal responsibility. Too often we "expect" instead of act. Unless they are actively trying to hide information I don't see a problem. Educate yourself, do the research, accept responsibility for being a more aware and educated sportsman. I reject the nanny state philosophy that we should have things, including every study or statistic regarding fishing, handed to us.

F
FlyBum
Maybe instead of "educate" I should have said, "Have information more readily available." In hindsight I think that's what I meant but it came out wrong. However, education requires information that is easily attainable and understandable.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
FlyBum said:
Maybe instead of "educate" I should have said, "Have information more readily available." ....However, education requires information that is easily attainable and understandable.

I agree, an improvement of information availability would nice.
I notice that Oregon Coast Coho are still "Threatened" but Oregon Coast Steelhead are just "Species of Concern"....

jamisonace
jamisonace
I agree. They do have an obligation to make data available. After all, we probably paid for those studies....at least in part but likely in whole.

FlyBum said:
Maybe instead of "educate" I should have said, "Have information more readily available." In hindsight I think that's what I meant but it came out wrong. However, education requires information that is easily attainable and understandable.

T
todd_brooks
This discussion has me thinking that what's really needed is for those scientific studys, to be broke down so that average laymen can process and make us of the info. And yes I think if ODFW posts how to articles on steelheading. They can take the time to put conservation issues up front and center as well.

F
FlyBum
I know that your looking for public opinion based on your stated question. But, when it comes to the Endangered Species Act this becomes more of a Federal question, under which the ODFW must comply with certain guidelines. So, it's up to both agencies to make the availability of information as transparent and understandable for public inquiry. Which in my opinion, they aren't doing enough of.

Guess it must be all the budget cuts?