6 year old bass master in the making.

Aervax
Aervax
I had a few minutes to cast for smallmouth from the bank on the Hood River waterfront yesterday morning. I caught a couple of 1 pounders on soft plastic in the first 4 casts, then it slowed way way down.

Three generations of a family were spread out along the bank and fishing with nightcrawlers next to me - grandpa, adult son, and a 6 year old fishing maniac. He was really into it, moving from spot to spot, casting and reeling like a little pro. His dad and grandpa were catching a few little bluegill and what ever else was chewing on those worms.

The little guy was fearless and came straight over to quiz me on what I was using to catch the bass. I have gave him a couple of senkos to try - a holographic pearl and a peanut butter and jelly. He immediately got one stolen by a tail biter and then snagged up and broke off the other. His dad rigged him a chartreuse curly tail grub, and he was immediately on the go again like his life depended on it.

The bass bite was slow, so I moved to a fresh spot 50 yards down the bank. No take downs in the 8-15 foot depth range, but there were several tail biter type hits in 4 feet of water about 10 feet from shore. I called down the bank for the dad and his son to come down to see if they could catch the fish on the little curly tail grub. After several casts and no bites I threw my senko just beyond the strike zone and handed it off to the little tyke.

He cranked twice and started yelling, "I got one!" At first I thought he might be snagged, but I'll be dammed if it wasn't taking drag and heading for deeper water. LOL. He got it in and posed for his dad to take a pic with his 3 pound smallmouth. That was really really cool.

When things settled down he traipsed down the bank and started casting like a little banshee again. Not 5 minutes later he was whooping and hollering, and his dad and grandpa were whooping and hollering with him as he landed another 2 pound small mouth. HAHA. They were still taking pictures of him with his fish as I loaded up and headed out to meet friends for breakfast.

The joy of catching fish that was in the huge smiles on that kids face was the highlight of my fishing outings so far in 2017. It really made my weekend!!!

troutdude
troutdude
That's awesome; and what fishing is all about IMO. Well done.

F
Fishpdx
Story of my life haha

B
billfisher
Awesome! :thumb:

T
TimberTodd
That is very cool!!