Bait for what?

T
troutmasta
Anatoliy said:
Have you ever heard about Freud? )

Yes sir, my north star ;)

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Carp are very powerful fish with a broad tail and lots of muscle to move it with . We used to snorkle and spear carp in some private rock and gravel dredger ponds in CA when I was younger and there were some you didn't dare put a spear in or they could take you into the weed beds , wrap you up in your own line and leave you for old Saint Peter . In the main lake at the crusher plant there was one in particular we saw several times basking in the sun that easily went over 75 lbs. My buddies dad was the dragline mechanic there for over 30 years and was why we were allowed on the site . He said he had seen some bigger over the years when we showed him that one . I wont tell you how good the fishing was there but I hated growing up and losing those priviledges when my buddies dad retired . Good job sir and a ton of fun I can vouch for .

T.F.

Reactions: eugene1
M
MikePierce170
TOJIACK FLOATMAN said:
Carp are very powerful fish with a broad tail and lots of muscle to move it with . We used to snorkle and spear carp in some private rock and gravel dredger ponds in CA when I was younger and there were some you didn't dare put a spear in or they could take you into the weed beds , wrap you up in your own line and leave you for old Saint Peter . In the main lake at the crusher plant there was one in particular we saw several times basking in the sun that easily went over 75 lbs. My buddies dad was the dragline mechanic there for over 30 years and was why we were allowed on the site . He said he had seen some bigger over the years when we showed him that one . I wont tell you how good the fishing was there but I hated growing up and losing those priviledges when my buddies dad retired . Good job sir and a ton of fun I can vouch for .

T.F.

I'd trespass for the opportunity to spear a 75lb carp :D. That would be one hell of a ride. For one that big I might use my float and float line haha. You got a google maps link for this place? :thumb:

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
It was in the main lake at Baldwin Const. in Hallwood California in 1980 . This entire complex consisting of a dozen or so quite old and well established dredger ponds fed off of the lower Yuba River were closed to the public. Only employees and their immeadiate familys ( such as my friend Claude ) were allowed onto the site and the only access was through the front gate via the main office . They allowed me in only if I was with Claude and that was only now and then . It was a true treasure trove of great Bass and Bluegill as well as Redear perch fishing . The main lake was appx 50 acres was the only one with carp . If I stuck one that large it would have to be with a disconnect line and float that I could reattach to my Surgeon rod somehow and fight him with a rod . Those ponds had serious weed beds in them that were totally not penetrateable by a human . Even with tanks on it would be risky . If it were open water then HELL YES !!! ITS RODEO TIME !!!

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Actually it would be the large pond adjacent to what is now Knife River Corp . Apparently they bought out Baldwins . The pond you pointed out belonged to Teichert Aggregates and I never had the priveldge o fish any of their ponds . The Ponds just North of those and on the East side of the river that are shown belonging to Western Aggregates used to be the Yuba Goldfields and back in the very late 70's and early 80's you could by a day pass for $5.00 and they would allow you fish certain sections of the property and give you a numbered key for a heavy locked gate to access that section . I never got past fishing the Marigold section as was where I first started using a float tube and litterlly hammered some nice Bass as well as some extremely nice Bluegill and Redear Pearch . I caught a Redear there that went just under 2 lbs. and put him back in the pond . I wish they would have had cell phones with cameras or even compact digital cameras in those days . I have no pics to show for some great fishing photo ops . When the price of gold rose in about 1989 those dredging operations began to fire up again targeting gold which was how those ponds were all formed to begin with and were all closed again to the public . I guess I was just one of the lucky few who got to sample some of the best fishing to be found in all of Calif. there while it was available for those few years . When the gold dredging resumed all of the aggregate outfits hired armed gaurds to patrol their properties and can remember reading in the papers from time to time where they caught someone tresspassing on one of these places . They let it be known they ment business as they prosecuted everyone they were able to catch and would be sure the newspapers relayed that sentiment to the public . Thanks for the google of the area . I can only imagine if this technology had been available back then how my fishing would have benefited . I love to be able to get the satellite imagery of a body of water I have never fished before prior to my going to this place to fish . It helps me target the areas of higher interest and maximize my fishing time into best catching times . Tight lines my friend :)

B
burlajohnny
Is there some big-game catfish in the Columbia? I caught a decent sized 12 pound carp at Chinook landing and want to use him as bait, but I don't know any spots. What do you use carp bait for?

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
I know there are Channel cats in the Columbia as we caught them near the mouth of the John Day river , not sure what their range is in the big river though . Not sure what you meant by "what do you use carp bait for" ? I would imagine if you are asking what you can catch using their flesh for bait , then I would guess catfish as well as sturgeon and squawfish , and depending on the size of the bait who knows ??? When I was a kid and the method of take and bait restrictions werent what they are today , a guy could take chunks or srtips of meat off of chubs , whitefish and others and catch trout , panfish , bass and a few others . May not be on their top five list but it is still food for them .

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
I've never seen any cats come out of the Chinook Landing area, but I don't go there much (although after catching a very large highfinner Chinook there last weekend, I might have to go there more), which means "I don't know." I saw a very large catfish caught OFF the beach at Kelly Point on the Willamette side, FWIW.

M
MikePierce170
burlajohnny said:
Is there some big-game catfish in the Columbia? I caught a decent sized 12 pound carp at Chinook landing and want to use him as bait, but I don't know any spots. What do you use carp bait for?

Wrap your K15's with carp and you'll hit salmon all day long. Don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
mikepierce170 said:
wrap your k15's with carp and you'll hit salmon all day long. Don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

lol

I
igquick
There is no way that's 31 lbs....

M
MikePierce170
igquick said:
There is no way that's 31 lbs....

Ian, I actually use a scale. The weight of my fish has never been in question :D

S
Stradic2000
Kill all the carp!