3 things I did wrong

R
rippin fish lips
One hook up last night....

1 .... Let the fish run down rapids into the next hole.
2 .... Chase him, gain line, gain control, stay high to fight, then walk it down a little.
3 .... as soon as i took a few steps down in the next hole the fish takes off down stream.... Snap!!

Breaking last nights loss up.... and realizing what i shoulda done.... things i learned from it....

1 .... Drag was set too lose at first hook up, causing the fish to take off down river.
2 .... Fight fish at top of hole, and not bottom where he has the advantage. Hole was (7' wide, 15' long) and fast.

3 .... If i wouldn't have took two steps down in the 2nd hole, the fish would be on the bank, and not be swimming with my spinner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This mornings hook up.... everything went well until....

1 .... Tightened drag 1 click, when it was set perfect in the begging.
2 .... Blown out reals/drags are a NO when steelhead fishing.
3 .... P-Line Floroclear/flourocarbon "mist green" sucks when u have freys in your line.
I am going back to the (clear) one, cuz i never had a fish break me off with that one.

4 .... Let the fish do it's thing, if he wants to go down and ur running 6lb test, let the fish go if u can wade and fight it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main part of this post...

1) Have a good drag system, and do not tightin your drag if already set perfect.. even whenb it feels a little too lose....

2) Relax, let the fish do the work.

3) Put new line on the moment you have that feeling that you need to put new line on, other wise u may lose a fish....

Drag, line, and real played a big role in my lossed fish today and yesterday.

Now there is 2 pissed off steelhead with spinners in there mouth, still swimming, and they shouldnt be!

And i am almost more irritated then ever... but hey thats fishing right?? This morning was one of those times where i wish i could say i "hate" fishing, but i can't say that... cuz losing these two fish, enjoying the fight that they put up is what brings me back...

I am steelhead destroyed... and i keep getting stomped on.

Reactions: Irishrover
T
Throbbit _Shane
Here's my opinion. I wouldn't use fluoro. When fishing hardware like you do the fish will probably see the lure and not pay attention to the line, if they can even see it. Spoons and Spinners are getting the aggressive fish to bite, so i seriously doubt they'll care if you have fluoro or mono. Id use 8lb Maxima Ultragreen or 8lb P Line Cxx.

A
alm21
Throbbit _Shane said:
Here's my opinion. I wouldn't use fluoro. When fishing hardware like you do the fish will probably see the lure and not pay attention to the line, if they can even see it. Spoons and Spinners are getting the aggressive fish to bite, so i seriously doubt they'll care if you have fluoro or mono. Id use 8lb Maxima Ultragreen or 8lb P Line Cxx.

Yep. I like to run all mono for hardware.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I always run clear pline on everything all year. I wouldn't mind going to mono early in the year but I'll always use flouro later in the season.

And hey, the one thing you did good was to get out and fish. You fought two more steelhead in those two days than I did!

D
dtikey
oh well tanner it will give you something to see when the fish goes in the trap and you can say hey there is my spinner.lol

R
rippin fish lips
dtikey said:
oh well tanner it will give you something to see when the fish goes in the trap and you can say hey there is my spinner.lol

Yeah i know right, if they don't get caught! they were some Agressive fish. Everything went so smooth until i started really enjoying fightin them, it was sick. Best battles so far this year.

Ikll get them this week, got 4 days to do it! Did ya hook up into any?

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
And hey, the one thing you did good was to get out and fish. You fought two more steelhead in those two days than I did!

Yeah, always out when i have the time, put a lot of hours into the 2. Was fun and worth it. I know summer steelhead now, i got them on lock. Or.. i got spoon and spinner fishing on lock!

C
cowboysfan
sounds like you have the remedy for your loss, If it wasn't for the ones we lost there would be no reason to tell fish stories!

E
eugene1
Good you're learning from the loss dude!

Like Jamie said, you're getting into more fish than most people, so it's all good.

hobster
hobster
rippin fish lips said:
Yeah i know right, if they don't get caught! they were some Agressive fish. Everything went so smooth until i started really enjoying fightin them, it was sick. Best battles so far this year.

Ikll get them this week, got 4 days to do it! Did ya hook up into any?

The fight is the best part for sure, i've been up at Leaburg 4 times and went 1 for 4 , landed my first summer today! Its so frustrating to loose em, i feel your pain, but at least you can lay down at night and smile because hookin them is the hardest part. You won as far as i'm concerned.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Your right getting the drag set up right is so important. It starts with sharp hooks, good knots, good line, correct drag set and good luck. Good post by the way.

kirkster
kirkster
Throbbit _Shane said:

I have to agree. I don't normally fish hardware much but at times I did I've tied a blue fox directly to my 50# xp braided and have had steelhead bang et with bad intentions. I remeber back 25 years ago there might of been maybe 10th different lines to choose from. Maxima being the top of the line. And there were more steelhead banked per year back then than now. So as the old saying goes the tackle companies are fishing for fisherman not fish.