3 hooked, 3 lost.

F
FishSchooler
Got to Tanner creek at 6:55, got lines in around 7:00. First ones on the water, then this guy comes down and starts shouting at us cause we weren't supposed to fish until 7:00, but he shouted at 7:10... Turned out he was just angry cause we were at his "favorite" spot. Then we ended up moving further down the river. First cast, casted the plunking rig. Snag... Break off, retie. All of a sudden, BIG SPLASH to the left, a huge sturgeon just jumped 3 feet in the air, it was at least 7 feet long, then boom it was gone. After 20 min, my rod tip starts bouncin up and down a lot. I stand and set the hook. I fight it for around 20 seconds, and boom. The fish comes off. Retie another weight and cast out another time, further. Friends were casting in the creek with spinners and jigs, nothing. But one of them went further up a lot with a 2 inch silver/blue repala. He hooked a 2-3 pounder and it came off mid-jump. So Im waitin for half an hour, broke off about 3 more weights, then I cast again. I tighten the line and it doesn't snag. Good spot. I hear a loud bell ring and I look over my shoulder for 3 min, the mean guy set the hook and it turned out to be a snag. So I look back at my rod... Bounce Bounce BOUNCE pull, bounce. I jump up and reel and reel, the hook set was solid, but then it twisted my line by runnin around a rock... No more weights. So we just have fun, picking the tons and tons of blackberries(yummiful yummy!!!) and eat them, trying to spot fish in the creek. Not a single one we could see besides the minnows.Friend all of a sudden says, hey! I caught a minnow. We saw a 1 inch fish. Yummy. Lets go fry it up with some seaweed. :lol:
So we just explore, then we start finding clams, more food! Then we actually found a good brown plastic grub, a weird wet fly with eyes popped out, a shad dart type thing, a real shiny jig, some lead, and a worn out lead jig, and 3 rusted to their death hooks. Friend ties on the glossy black jig, and casts it a couple times. On the 4th cast, it just disappears...:shock:
So we ended the day with 3 good subway sandwiches, a lot of black berries, -20 ounces of lead, -1jig, and a dead minnow. And some tiny fresh water clams. And I lost a #3 blue fox... :mad::mad::mad: Stupid other guy, talkin with his other mean friends about how wrong it was that we showed up before him. :mad::mad: Bad day with them, good day with friends.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Kudos!

Kudos!

I am glad to hear that you and your friends were more mature than the grump. I know how hard it is to walk away sometimes. :think: I didn't always have sense enough to do it. It is too bad that some of the dinosaurs think they have exclusive rights to spots on the bank. :naughty: Good for you for not giving up but making it a fun day with good friends. :clap: Kudos to ya! :clap: :D :clap:
Barb

Troutski
Troutski
Calm in the face of anger.

Calm in the face of anger.

Good on you and your friends, difficult to be calm in the face of anger. You did well weedhopper and you will be rewarded for your calmness. Oh yes, their Karma will catch up with them. Keep the calm and tight lines.

Chuck

F
FishSchooler
Wazzah a kudo Barb? Those guys... Another guy came down an hour later, accidentally casted over the meanie's line... Poor guy got yelled at and he was made to break off his line, having to retie it. Then the guy's friend casted over his line, then he started to complain. They didn't catch any more than I did, well, we did get blackberries and a minnow and a jig, fly, 3 hooks, 4 weights, a grub, clams, and seaweed. :tongue:

C
chris61182
Don't the regulations say you can fish from an hour before sunrise till and hour after sunset? 7am is almost 2 hours after the "start" time, I think that meanie needs to read the regulations.

A
ArcticAmoeba
He is the one that the stste pays to keep an "eye," essentially on the property at Tanner Creek. The people at Bonneville don't want to have to deal with people all day, so they only let folks in from 7 A.M. to 5 P.M. It is private property, and I'm glad they let us use it, but the old guy is a knob, and as long as you have proper manners, most people don't have a problem. And your not actually supposed to be in the parking lot until 7, let alone fishing by 7. Although the guy in the green trailer usually lets that go, just as long as you don't start plunking(nobody does anything else there!) before 7 A.M. It is an over pressured lane to begin with...

C
chris61182
Ahh, I didn't realize it's private property with access rules.

F
FishSchooler
Me hates plunking now... I'll have to go with spinners or float fishing if its on the columbia... 0 snags at clackamas, 10+ on the columbia...

K
Kodiak
Fish bonkers

Fish bonkers

Schooler did you know that a fish bonker will double as a people bonker too? Guys like that need to fall in the river a few times. Too bad he didn't hook that sturgeon....it would have been bye bye rod!! :pray: We deal with a couple of cranky old knotheads down hear where I'm at when the spring chinook come in. Generally we just ignore them and they will stand there whine and snivel for about 10 mins. and then pack up and go home. There is just not enough room on the river for guys like that!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Calling all knotheads......

Calling all knotheads......

I am fairly certain Kodiak meant the "bonker" should be used ONLY for self-defence if some "knothead" should become physically abusive with anyone.;) We all have to deal with rude, whining, sometimes ignorant people while pursuing a great hobby (passion). Personally, my pet peeve is the bonehead who spots fisherfolk at or in the water and proceeds to show their physical and mental prowess by chucking rocks into said water. Do I really care how far you can skip a rock on the water? Ummm,NO!! :mad: The ones I want to throttle are the true morons who also teach their kids to do the same thing. Every once in a while I yearn to toss my old bull whip into the back of the car. I used to be fairly good with it...popping the heads off dandylions, snapping a horse on the hiney...etc. hmmmmm :D :shock: :naughty:
Barb

F
FishSchooler
lol barb. Go whip someone with cream... ;):lol::dance:
He was also shouting at a boat that was like 3000 feet away cause they were in closed waters. but that boat was a sheriff or something. Then the guy started laughing at them when they couldnt find a place to anchor further down the river.