28 pound channel cat Albany

B
bigfootfish
In todays Albany-Democrat Herald a photo of a young man holding a 28 pound channel catfish appeared. He said he caught it out of Waverly Lake on August 28th. I scanned the picture to upload it but it won't work. And the Herald hasn't posted the photo online yet. So anyway, ODFW told me last year that they have never stocked Timber Linn Lake, Swan Lake or Waverly Lake with channel cats. Timber Linn flows into Swan and Swan into Waverly and Waverly flows into the Willamette. A small dam on Waverly prevents fish from getting into it from downstream. So it would be easy to assume some private stocking went on there. I'll update this thread and post with the link when the photo/story appears in the Herald. Who knows how many channel cats might be in Waverly, or even Swan or Timber Linn.

BFF

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
BFF,

I can't find this story anywhere, on the DH's website. Do you have a link that you can post?

F
Finneus Polebender
The link would be cool have a feeling I know where it came from if the angler is out of Albany and it isn't any of those spots.

troutdude
troutdude
I went and bought a copy of the paper. Here is the pic...

B
Browning
troutdude said:

The guy looks scared:lol:

C
cwsmith
I'm having a hard time believing this one..

B
bigfootfish
troutdude said:

Naw, he just doesn't like having his pic taken!

BFF

T
TTFishon
Finneus Polebender said:
The link would be cool have a feeling I know where it came from if the angler is out of Albany and it isn't any of those spots.

I'm pretty sure I know where you're thinking it came from.

B
bigfootfish
my pic too late! WAH!

my pic too late! WAH!

cwsmith said:
I'm having a hard time believing this one..

Here's the same pic, not as good as TROUTDUDES!!:D I had so much trouble trying to downsize the scanned pic's mega MEGA bytes when I posted the thread. Then after I went to work I had a thought(these seldom happen to me, y' know? THOUGHTS?:lol:): DUH:doh: why didn't I just take a pic and then upload it? Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!:lol:

BFF

Last edited by a moderator:
T
tomriker
i've seen one a lot bigger than that come out of a pond in albany

troutdude
troutdude
Not to hijack...but, a few years ago (2-4 as I recall)...a 50 Pounder was hauled out of Corvallis. It was bagged where the Mary's River spills into the Willy.

I too, am not convinced that there are ANY cats in Waverly. It's the first one that I have ever heard of.

B
bigfootfish
troutdude said:
Not to hijack...but, a few years ago (2-4 as I recall)...a 50 Pounder was hauled out of Corvallis. It was bagged where the Mary's River spills into the Willy.

I too, am not convinced that there are ANY cats in Waverly. It's the first one that I have ever heard of.

I thought the same way, TD. However, last year someone caught a 14 or 16 pound channel cat out of Timber Linn Lake. ODFW has stocked channel cats for years in Bond Butte Pond near I-5 exit 209, Walter Wirth in Salem and ponds 5 & 6 at the St. Louis Ponds up by Gervais. They even built special structures at the north end of Bond Butte trying to get the channel cats to spawn. This was all done before ODFW found out that channel cats need sustained 70+ degree water temps for about three straight months in order to spawn. So ODFW continues to stock baby channel cats since there are zero waterbodies in Northwest Oregon(the Willamette and Northwest Zones)where the water temps get that warm for that long.
Now, you say a 50 pounder was caught at the mouth of the Mary's River? I'd sure like to read that article and see that photo. ODFW did tell me they stocked the Willy years ago with channel cats, from Corvallis to Portland.
Gary Galovich is the warmwater fish biologist for the Willamette Zone, and his office is at the Adair ODFW building. Give him a call(541-757-4186) and he will be glad to talk. He does underwater surveys to count fish. I asked him where the biggest largemouth bass might be found locally and he told me that the Garden Lake Ponds near Creswell have huge bass in them, which he saw while scuba diving there.
I find it hard to believe a 50 pounder came out of the Willy at Corvallis. But you never know.......

BFF

troutdude
troutdude
bigfootfish said:
Now, you say a 50 pounder was caught at the mouth of the Mary's River? I'd sure like to read that article and see that photo. I find it hard to believe a 50 pounder came out of the Willy at Corvallis. But you never know.......BFF

It's true. I was just one of thousands, that saw the pic in the paper that day.

But, I stand corrected on the cat from Waverly. I had not heard about that catfish stocking program. And there's another inept blunder by ODFW. Wouldn't you think that they'd KNOW what the fish required for breeding BEFORE they start a whole new program...DUH! Well, I guess it's best to be MORON than MOR"OFF"!

Top Bottom