1st largemouth :D

M
Moe
I found a swimbait on the bank and tied it on just to try it and BAM this guy just slams it

• 20130430_160006.jpg
R
ryan808
Did you pull that out of Bethany?

bass
bass
Nice job Moe. That looks like a nice fat one.

T
tomriker
Did it taste like crap?

M
Moe
Sure did.... never again

N
nixerx
Nice fish. Not for eating. Ick!

L
Liphooked
Why not? I'm new to bass fishing. My third year altogether. caught one steely one salmon and too many trout. sick of trout! I have caught three bass this year eat two. I like the way they taste. Is there something I should know? Or is it the sport of bass that people don't eat them for? I don't like to eat whole bunch of fish but I get out once a week to catch and eat something. couple trout is what I have been settling for. The bass is a different game more challenging to me as I have to learn a lot.
nixerx said:
Nice fish. Not for eating. Ick!

T
TTFishon
Liphooked said:
Why not? I'm new to bass fishing. My third year altogether. caught one steely one salmon and too many trout. sick of trout! I have caught three bass this year eat two. I like the way they taste. Is there something I should know? Or is it the sport of bass that people don't eat them for? I don't like to eat whole bunch of fish but I get out once a week to catch and eat something. couple trout is what I have been settling for. The bass is a different game more challenging to me as I have to learn a lot.

Well, I won't eat pond bass because the water is gross and ponds aren't usually stocked with bass so you need to release them to support the fishery. I will eat bass caught from any high lake where I personally feel that they don't belong and where the water is clean. That's just a basic rule for me.

L
Liphooked
Okay I got you. The bigger the better the fight. Thank you. I just don't want to go fishing and destroy things. That's why I asked. Is eating one fish a week horrible? Just asking so I can be more responsible while I'm enjoying nature? The trout is farmed so I eat my fill, pretty basic rule there fish and eat don't waste. I don't like limiting out every time so I go for the bigger ones. The steelhead is a challenge I worked on for a year with only one caught but several hooked. I guess you understand I'm looking for advice so I'm on the same level as the rest of the forum as well as being a courteous fisherman.
TTFishon said:
Well, I won't eat pond bass because the water is gross and ponds aren't usually stocked with bass so you need to release them to support the fishery. I will eat bass caught from any high lake where I personally feel that they don't belong and where the water is clean. That's just a basic rule for me.

Reactions: Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Liphooked said:
Okay I got you. The bigger the better the fight. Thank you. I just don't want to go fishing and destroy things. That's why I asked. Is eating one fish a week horrible? Just asking so I can be more responsible while I'm enjoying nature? The trout is farmed so I eat my fill, pretty basic rule there fish and eat don't waste. I don't like limiting out every time so I go for the bigger ones. The steelhead is a challenge I worked on for a year with only one caught but several hooked. I guess you understand I'm looking for advice so I'm on the same level as the rest of the forum as well as being a courteous fisherman.
I applaud your attitude! :clap:

T
tomriker
i always C&R bass, but i've heard from several people that the 2-3 pound bass aren't that bad, but anything bigger than that and they won't be as good. Also, letting bigger fish go helps sport the next generation of fish too! I agree with TT too, i wouldn't eat bass caught out of a pond! don't let a fly fisherman convince you to kill every bass though! :rolleyes:

Y
Youngfishermen
I got really sick of trout. Probly cus I used to fish for it ever day . I really like largemouth fishing but kind of hard to track where there at.
This year only caught one small smallie at oaks park fished the whole day. But this one guy caught 33 big carp in 3 hours and other fishermen coudn't catch anything. He used some sort of dough balls with some pink oil or something

Y
Youngfishermen
I only eat bass from river because there more clean

T
TTFishon
Youngfishermen said:
I only eat bass from river because there more clean

It depends on the river too. For instance, I wouldn't eat any fish, unless it was anadromous, from the Willamette from Harrisburg to it's end. I might even go as far to say from Springfield to it's end.

C
catchallthefish
i dont eat trout or bass out of the willy

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
Liphooked said:

Nothing wrong with eating fish on a weekly basis, I love to eat fish, I choose not to eat bass even though I probably catch enough to never have to spend a penny on food over the course of a year.

Bass are one species that is really ill-managed in my opinion, that doesn't mean they aren't a great eating resource, and in some cases fisheries would benefit from harvest. The ideal size bass for table fair is relatively small, both because longevity in warm-water environments can lower the quality of meat & removing adult fish can be detrimental to the population, the best fish for both worlds is probably 12''-16''.

Bass taste fine, especially in healthy lakes with fast growth rates and clean water. I applaud your outlook on conservative harvest, some fisheries have high levels of mercury so eating excessive warm-water species could be detrimental to your health.... Still probably better than most things in grocery stores these days.

The fish kept in this thread, is an adult fish, probably quite old, and looks pretty haggard to begin with, keeping fish should be a lot like selecting fruit at a grocery store. take them when they are just big enough but not too big, just firm enough and so forth, lol.

As far as farmed trout go, I'll pass more often than not.

C
catchallthefish
farm fish are bad mmkay....

O
ORfisherman
Don't eat bass

M
mikeee2362
Bass can be an OK eater if found in nice clean water and like another poster said in the 12-16" range, that being said I haven't kept a bass(except white sea bass) since I was a kid. Brought up in Minnesota we ate our Trout, Crappies and Walleyes, and sometimes a mess of sunnies and bluegill. Emphasis on Walleye! Then we moved to Hawaii where we ate every spiecies we caught due to the fact it had a hole in it where we speared it...then moved to California where the Bass are HUGE, and caught countless hogs along with every size bucketmouth out there and never kept one. Bass are a fun, easy to catch fish, but there are many other better eaters out there. When i want to fill the freezer I go for Walleye, trout, or halibut. All awesome eaters...but I'm looking forward to getting some Salmon I didn't have to buy in a store!!! Nice Bass Moe...now you've tasted it the rest can swim away.