18 lb common carp

I
igquick
The only reason I showed up to a Columbia River backwater was because a fortune cookie told me to take a risk today.

Here is a long video of me fighting the fish, til landing it. I start trying to land the fish with no net around 10:00 if your patience is wearing thin. The fish had already ran 2 minutes straight before I started the video, so it took me about 20 minutes to pull it in.
[video=youtube;-3MYqwpnKGE]

F
Fliegenfischer
Congratulations! That was a fun video to watch.

M
MikePierce170
LoL nice work Ian. It's actually pretty hard to snag carp from what I understand. The weather is starting to warm up this week so I'll be out sticking some myself.

I
igquick
Thanks fliegenfischer!! U should try fly fishing for them one time, show me how its done lol

Sup mike, I was going to call you before I left but I was about 90 percent sure I wasn't going to catch anything...yea ill be ready next week too, where are u planning on going? I have to admit it, I got REALLY LUCKY...I threw my last cast just to see how far I could cast, and when I reeled it in, it stopped like a fish striked it, then it swam towards me, then ran right for 3 minutes straight

F
Fliegenfischer
That would be fun, I've been thinking for a while to try the carp on the fly. We should team up some time and try fly fishing for them. :)

igquick said:
Thanks fliegenfischer!! U should try fly fishing for them one time, show me how its done lol

I
igquick
Im down to go, but there is only one place I know where I can sight them without them spooking off into th e depths, and they aren't there til summer

J
john montana
nice fish! You snagged it with bait? Usually they just pop off when snagged unless you hook 'em in the fin somewhere. I get back scales from time to time! hah!

I
igquick
You've got scales before lol? Is there that much carp where your fish at?

How'd you know, I did hook him by the fin...the hook was embedded in its tail fin, but that still doesn't explain how the corn fell off the size 6 baitholder hook

J
john montana
I don't fish blind for them, so snagging one by chance isn't possible, but sometimes I'll think they ate, set the hook, and snag 'em. Not real often since I usually see the eat, but it happens. and if you hook 'em in the body, the scale comes off every time. Since you landed the fish I figured it must have been in the tail or fin.

Last edited:
I
igquick
I Must or got really really lucky from a blind cast into murky waters

J
john montana
Probably a ton of fish in there right now.

I
igquick
I went there today to see if I can see carp on high vantage points but the water is like 1 foot visibility so fail