Crappie and Perch From The Bank

A
Agordon
Does anybody have any tips for catching crappie and perch from the bank? I've tried the usual lures and baits like jigs, spinners, small crankbaits, worms, and salmon eggs, but I haven't seen any fish yet. I'm not sure what kind of action I should be adding to the jigs, so that's probably also part of the problem. I've also suspended jigs and bait under a bobber and either let them sit still or retrieved them slowly. Are there any different retrieves, baits, or lures that I should try? I also have fly-tying gear, so I can make custom jigs if there is a color/style that would work.

I
igquick
It depends, where are you fishing at?

Sometimes it is easier if you can sight fish them but it all depends where you are fishing at, and if there are fish in your area

A
Agordon
I've been fishing at Topsy/J.C. Boyle Reservoir as well as Wilson Reservoir on the Lost River near Klamath Falls. They are both pretty murky, so I can't see any fish or structure unless it extends above the water or is very shallow. I think that Topsy is supposed to have better fishing for crappie than perch, and vice versa for Wilson, though they each have both species, as well as some others like bass and bullhead. I think the water temp. should be around 60 in both, so the perch might be done spawning and the crappies just starting. I've mostly been fishing bridge riprap, deep holes, and shallow areas with vegetation nearby.

I
igquick
Have you tried a brighter colored jig since the water is murky like a bright yellow or chartreuse? Also, I like working jigs slower for crappie that are a bit finicky so it keeps the lure in their "strike zone" for a longer period.

Maybe they aren't biting because they can see your floater or line or rig or weight or swivel...I've experience a big difference when switching to lighter gear which looks more invisible. Not to mention, most crappie aren't so big, so a jig no bigger than an inch should be used unless your fishing for some decent sized ones.

Most of the time bait triumphs over artificials so, a tiny minnow under a float with a long leader would be my choice

if all else fails, I have caught them at my location with tiny bits of white bread and a small treble under a float.

for location, keep trying and looking for the vegetation you mentioned, there has to be some in there. If they aren't biting, they aren't there, or they are really finicky

bass
bass
I am not sure if this is relevant but when I lived in North Carolina we spent a lot of time fishing for Crappie. Our favorite was a jig and bobber. The bobber we used was one of the orange cigar shape that is weighted at one end. The reason we used this is because when you twitch it, the bobber does not move very far horizontally but rather see saws the jig vertically. You could keep your jig in a small area while giving it a lot of action.

The exact jig type did not seem to matter. We usually used 1/32 oz jig heads with chartreuse twisty tails, but sometimes we used grubs, or tubes. It was all about location and not about the particular jig. We usually just bought what was on sale :)

The other thing is to experiment a lot with depth. Some days we would only have a foot of line from the bobber to the jig, some days we would have 5'. Usually the crappies seemed more willing to come up to bite rather than go down. I would recommend starting with a short drop and then increasing it in 6" to 1' increments until you hit paydirt.

Best of luck.

M
Mad dog
Agordon said:
I've been fishing at Topsy/J.C. Boyle Reservoir as well as Wilson Reservoir on the Lost River near Klamath Falls. They are both pretty murky, so I can't see any fish or structure unless it extends above the water or is very shallow. I think that Topsy is supposed to have better fishing for crappie than perch, and vice versa for Wilson, though they each have both species, as well as some others like bass and bullhead. I think the water temp. should be around 60 in both, so the perch might be done spawning and the crappies just starting. I've mostly been fishing bridge riprap, deep holes, and shallow areas with vegetation nearby.

Agordon, I have lived most of my life in K-falls and know the fisheries very well, If I were you I would abandon those spots for now and travel a little bit farther from Klamath for Crappies. Right now Willow lake near Butte falls is very good for crappie! Easy to fish....A bobber and a gold #14 treble hook are the ticket 90% of the time, the crappies simply bite the flash of the hook! If the fishing is tough, add a tiny....I mean TINY!!! bit of bait to the treble hook. If your bait is too big you will not get bit! If I wanted to catch crappies right now, this is where I would go! Fish very close to the bank, around the rocks or particularly near any flooded green vegetation near the creek inlets, typically there are lot's of other anglers catching fish when it is good and it is not hard to figure out where the crappies are!

Good luck!

A
Agordon
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll definitely try these suggestions. I don't have any weighted bobbers, but I'll get some before heading out to Topsy this weekend. I also recently got a new rod and reel combo that is meant for crappie fishing. It's longer and more sensitive than my other rods, so I should be able to cast small jigs farther and feel/see more bites. If Topsy campground is open, I might also try at the fishing dock.