Winter swinging is so easy...who knew?

C
ChezJfrey
LOL

Picked this up this afternoon.

IMAG0046.jpg

P
playhooky
Nice!! That is soooo prettteeee. Really give'n that marabou the eye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O
OnTheDrop
Pimpin'.. It's official. I'm buying my first switch rod this weekend.. 11' 7wt... See you soon Chezzy

J
Jordy
I haven't ever witnessed a fish caught on a fly rod east of the D. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen but I fish a lot and gear guys smoke the flu guys in the valley.

Killer fish though!

J
JonT
Nice fish, Jeffrey. Get it in that run we fished?

C
ChezJfrey
JonT said:
Nice fish, Jeffrey. Get it in that run we fished?

Almost exactly where you briefly hooked up :)

Aervax
Aervax
I am with you on that one Jordy. I own 12 fly rods. I have been tying my own flies for 36 years. Flyfishing is great fun, but I like the "catching" part of fishing more than the fishing part of it. I actually catch many of my fish on flies, but not on fly rods, haha.

Globugs are flies. Look awful similar to puff balls to me. Which came first, the bucktail jig or the bucktail streamer? The answer is, "It doesn't matter, because the bucktail jig catches more fish per cast than the bucktail streamer. So chuck the streamer and fish the jig."

Streamers are still just a hook and some hair and some feathers and a bit of lead. I cannot bringg myself to throw one and pretend it is a fly. I see it as a light jig fished on a heavy line, rather than the heavy jig fished on a light line that is defined as non-fly gear in the regulations. Not really fair of the Oregon DFW to create exclusive waters for fly only, unless the gear requirements really are going to be flies fished with flyrods.

That guy fishing a 3 inch streamer that is made with a powder coated steel nose cone with holes in it that make bubbles trails and vibrations to attract fish, and has 1/16 ounce of lead wire wrapped on the hook shank underneath a body of synthetic sparkling yarns with wiggly rubber legs sticking out the sides and plastic crystal flash for a tail, unless it is that guy using holographic tape for streamer bodies and a soft plastic curly tail on it, for hells sake! If you are him, I still say good on you for doing what it takes to maximize the catch. Innovation and creativity are one of the things that makes it all so much fun. But call a spade a spade. That is not fly fishing gear. It is plagiarized bass tackle disguised as fly fishing gear. Let's stop granting these guys exclusive waters and private club like fishing opportunities when they are really doing the same thing everyone else is. They just happen to be pay 3 times as much for their rod and reel and want to call it something else.

Okay. Got it out of my system. Putting my soap box away for the night. What I really need to do is shut my trap and go out and try "real steelhead fly fishing", skating dries on the surface in hopes of a real thumping. That would be a riot. And that is fly fishing with a capital FF. Embarassing that in all my years of fishing I have not tried that one yet.

I use my flyrods for dryfly and nymph trout fishing, though my brother frequently outfishes everyone nymphing on the river with his noodle rod and ultralight reel drifting nymphs under microshot. He even goes barbless, and ties his own flies from natural hair and feathers. Now should be called fly fishing! Haha.

Last edited:
J
Jordy
Aervax said:
I am with you on that one Jordy. I own 12 fly rods. I have been tying my own flies for 36 years. Flyfishing is great fun, but I like tthe "catching" part of fishing more than the fishing part of it. I actually catch many of my fish on flies, but not on fly rods, haha.

Globugs are flies. Look awful similar to puff balls to me. Which came first, the bucktail jig or the bucktail streamer? The answer is, "It doesn't matter, because the bucktail jig catches more fish per cast than the bucktail streamer. So chuck the streamer and fish the jig." Steeamers are still just a hook and some hair and some feathers and a bit of lead. I cannot IMG_20150304_085257064.jpgbring myself to throw one and pretend it is a fly. I see it as a light jig fished on a heavy line, rather than the heavy jig fished on a light line that is defined as non-fly gear in the regulations.

What I really need to do is shut my trap and go out and try "real steelhead fly fishing", skating dries on the surface in hopes of a real thumping. That would be a riot.

I use my flyrods for dryfly and nymph trout fishing, though my brother frequently outfishes everyone nymphing on the river with his noodle rod and ultralight reel drifting nymphs under microshot.
I just don't see it happen much. During the winter I see maybe 10-20% of anglers being fly fisherman. I have seen drift boats come in with fly caught steelhead, but never encountered a bank fisherman with a fish.

Up on the Deschutes I see a handful caught every year. I make the trek up there because double digit days happen multiple times a year. Most of those days every 10th fly fisherman I talk to has a fish to the bank. I understand the purist mentality. I respect it. Catching fish is my thing and I prefer a more effective aproach.

C
ChezJfrey
Nice rant.

...and the point?

In 2013 I caught 72% of my steelhead on a spoon. Last year, I steered into a couple different methods and that spoon-number dropped to 53%. This year, 36% on a spoon, and 4 of 15 are on a fly.

It's just fishing. I enjoy the different challenge. Relax.

S
sapo
With my experiences, it tends to be easier to catch steelhead on spinning gear, but I know some guys who are great at catching 'em on flies. Whatever you pursue for steelhead fishing, be confident with it and learn it inside and out, and you'll be successful. Although I have noticed it's easier to hook steelhead on flies on the Deschutes than other rivers, maybe because the water is more suited for it, or maybe just because if you go to the Deschutes people expect you to fly fish...

N
Native Fisher
ChezJfrey said:
Nice rant.

...and the point?

In 2013 I caught 72% of my steelhead on a spoon. Last year, I steered into a couple different methods and that spoon-number dropped to 53%. This year, 36% on a spoon, and 4 of 15 are on a fly.

It's just fishing. I enjoy the different challenge. Relax.

I think he was trying to say that your "fly" is not a "fly", IDK and don't really care how others classify techniques. If you enjoy swinging a fly, a spinner, or even a jig, go for it. Not sure why it matters to some which technique is used, or even the classification. I always thought jigs looked like flys to me, and when I first started using jigs i researched which fly patterns were effective with steelhead and my first jigs were bought because they were the closest to those. I have never seen a swing rod in a ction, hope you bring it when you come down this way!

hobster
hobster
Looks like a fly to me :) Nice fish and great job gettin one, seems like a challenge indeed. Someday i will crossover to swinging for steel, hopefully this year.

C
ChezJfrey
Native Fisher said:
I think he was trying to say that your "fly" is not a "fly", IDK and don't really care how others classify techniques. If you enjoy swinging a fly, a spinner, or even a jig, go for it. Not sure why it matters to some which technique is used, or even the classification. I always thought jigs looked like flys to me, and when I first started using jigs i researched which fly patterns were effective with steelhead and my first jigs were bought because they were the closest to those. I have never seen a swing rod in a ction, hope you bring it when you come down this way!

I wonder if we're approaching this? ;)

[video=youtube;QPD8L-AzLV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPD8L-AzLV0[/video]

K
kwikfisher
Speaking of Steelhead flies...I have about 50 of them that I probably won't use, and was thinking I would like to trade them for? Probably spinners, plugs, or some such?

T
TimberTodd
ChezJfrey said:

What if someone's both a dirty nympher and a swinger?:bleh:
That video is funny. Good job on the catch Chez!

hobster
hobster
ChezJfrey said:

:D That was pretty good. Gotta love the fly - spiner fisherman rivalry.

Aervax
Aervax
My point was anything but clear. Too much rambling from my soap box there, haha.

O
OnTheDrop
The I'm quitting Steelhead one is my fave..

C
ChezJfrey
SteelmonKiller20 said:
The I'm quitting Steelhead one is my fave..

LOL, yeah, that one brings tears to my eyes as I laugh along :)

J
Jordy
Lol yes! That's hilarious.

For the record that's never happened to me. I have far better exchanges with fly fisherman than gear fisherman all year long.