Willamettte Falls fish count

O
Orgwayne
So just where are all those little steel head going ?? any on the way by Cornvallis
Wayne
:)

J
Jordy
They are on their way to the MacKenzie and the Santiams

J
JeannaJigs
The santiam gets a native winter run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
The Middle Fork of the Willamette should start getting their summer run now till.....................

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I haven't heard of the mckenzie having a run but I'm sure some stray from the small middle fork willamette run of winters.

Jordy said:
They are on their way to the MacKenzie and the Santiams

plumbertom
plumbertom
I've been watching the count at the falls.
I'm thinking it's about time to start haunting the banks of the Willamette here locally.
Are these early fish enticed by the same general tactics as late summer/fall fish?
Just curious if I need to learn something new?

S
Steel4life
The few winter steelhead me and my dad have caught in Eugene have been in march drift fishing with bait.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Steel4life said:
The few winter steelhead me and my dad have caught in Eugene have been in march drift fishing with bait.
I have some frozen shrimp I could thaw, I suppose I should add a bit of food coloring to make them more attractive.
Used them quite a bit in the fall but never got bit on them. not that I didn't see other people fishing with them get hooked up.

S
Steelheader4Life
A lot of them go to the Yamhill and it's tributaries. It's not open for fishing at all but I have a few spots I like to go to to watch them jump some smaller falls. It's almost just as good as fishing for them ;)

D
DrTheopolis
Please tell me I didn't just read a thread about people using bait to fish for a threatened species?

S
Steel4life
Well that depends on how it is perceived. I said we have caught them with bait in march, but we are fishing for early summers and hold overs from the previous year. All the winters we catch go back in to the river. Although I did read an article that said THEY could be hatchery fished that spawned and have made their own run. But it also stated that there was not enough genetic testing to declare they are of hatchery origin. Your guess is as good as mine, but if there is a fin on a steelie, I release it regardless.

E
eugene1
Steel4life said:
But it also stated that there was not enough genetic testing to declare they are of hatchery origin.

Should be some new info soon about this topic!

S
Steel4life
I hope so, I didn't look hard yesterday. But the article I read was from 09-10. So I will be keeping an eye out. If they are hatchery origin, I will target them on days I don't feel like driving to the coast..

A
Aton
I believe there is a reason retention of non adipose fin clipped steelhead is allowed on the upper Willy (from mouth of McKenzie/Middle and Coast Fork) there are no "native" steelhead. There may be "wild" steelhead (not raised in a hatchery). Just look in history books. Booth Kelly Logging plus dams and whatever else...ensured their demise. Is it important to protect their environment/habitat? Of course it is. I guess hundreds of years from now...or sooner...they will be the new "Native". Just like I consider myself a Native Oregonian...Not a drop of Umpqua, Calapooia or any other "Native Oregonian" blood here.

S
Steel4life
Study: Willamette River Basin’s Sole Native Steelhead Stock – Late Winter Run – Remains Genetically
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2015 (PST)
After some hardcore digging about this subject that is an article I found.
Its not a link cause I do not know how to share a link from my mobile.
But a summary is that the late run winter steelhead have no hatchery origin and have been "untouched" in the gene pool since they've been around (before Willamette falls fish ladder). Lots of good info. I still stand by "if its got a fin, it goes back in".

A
Aton
Glad you posted study S4L

got me googling and I learned that my previous post, however plausible to me, was mostly baloney...mea culpa. That said...there is a reason we are able to retain adipose intact fish in upper Willy... They are from hatchery origin...And are therefore not included in the DPS(distinct population segment) and therefore not an ESA listed fish. (bonk, bleed, barbecue)

I cut and pasted this from NOAA study: http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa...mette_lowercol/willamette/will-final-plan.pdf

From page 48 of a 462 page document:

In addition, although a naturally reproducing population of UWR steelhead became established in the
Middle Fork Willamette in the 1950’s following introductions of hatchery produced fish from the North
Santiam, it is generally agreed that steelhead historically did not emigrate farther upstream than the
Calapooia River (Dimick and Merryfield 1945; Fulton 1970) and these fish are not included in the DPS.

Last edited:
A
Aton
But to be clear...from willy falls to Calapooia river...those native winter fish are ESA listed.

N
Native Fisher
IDk, to me any fish that comes from the gravel is wild. I think it is cool that the hatcheries established a small winter run. IMO they should supplement the population with more hatchery fish and have a good winter fishery in the valley, might take some pressure off the coastal streams too...

S
Steel4life
I think you may be right though with where the ESA listed fish stop at. All in all they is some good info here lol. But I also agree with keeping summers with miss clipped fins. They only way I would keep a winter fish is if I had it tested and knew for a fact it was of hatchery origin. Any who, of to the coast for a quick trip. Sharp hooks and tight lines

plumbertom
plumbertom
DrTheopolis said:
Please tell me I didn't just read a thread about people using bait to fish for a threatened species?
Okay, you didn't read that.
Now, as a newby, I would like you to, instead of making condescending remarks, try and educate me and other new comers to this region and it's fishing.
Your post was in no way helpful or informative.
I have no understanding about the difference between these runs. I have read that there are early fish that hold over till the fall spawn. I've read some who refer to what they call hold over fish that don't actually leave the river.
You seem to be claiming a knowledge that I lack so why don't you share it?