Willamette River in Corvallis

N
Nimbulan
I went down to Willamette Park this morning and spent a whole lot of time walking around not finding anywhere to fish. As far as I can tell, Crystal Lake is not accessible from the park side (and it's quite murky right now) and couldn't find any decent places to fish from the shore of the river near either parking lot. Does anyone have any suggestions?

N
nyersa
I tried willamette park several times mid june this year without any luck. The pond listed in one of the previous posts is so algae choked that it looks more like a lawn that a pond :-S. If you are stuck in corvallis for fishing, you might try next to the storm overflow down at the boat launch right next to michaels landing. I have had caught many pike minnow as well as some pretty large carp there in previous years. I sure wouldnt eat em, but they are still fun to reel up.

Bass Man
Bass Man
plenty of spots to fish

plenty of spots to fish

nyersa said:
I tried willamette park several times mid june this year without any luck. The pond listed in one of the previous posts is so algae choked that it looks more like a lawn that a pond :-S. If you are stuck in corvallis for fishing, you might try next to the storm overflow down at the boat launch right next to michaels landing. I have had caught many pike minnow as well as some pretty large carp there in previous years. I sure wouldnt eat em, but they are still fun to reel up.

I agree with you about not eating anything out of the Willy:naughty: Where else around the Corvallis area do you usually fish? There are several locations if you happen to be "stuck" in Corvallis you can try. I'm assuming the pond your talking about is near the Crystal Lake sports field, is that the one?

N
nyersa
Willamette Park

Willamette Park

I took a snapshot from google earth of the places I tried last time I was there. The two red squares are the ponds that I was looking at, both look ok in the winter/early spring, but are really nasty now. The yellow squares are where I tried, basically along that gravel bar as well as a little eddy right past the boat launch at the north end of the trail. I also tried where the old bridge trestle is, but I'm not quite sure where it is on the map I pasted so I left it off (somewhere a little further to the south). I was using a couple different blue foxes between 3-5' deep.

i am currently exploring for new places to fish around this area, I have tried the Alsea a few times, but the only thing I managed to catch was some trout fry ~3-4" long. I tried E.E. Wilson with my daughter and got a few blue gills, but I don't really like going there because of the amount of garbage laying around. I have caught small mouth in years past in the lake next to highway 34 right across the bridge from Corvallis, but haven't managed to get over there this year. Again there tends to be a lot of trash there, which for me is a big turn-off. The best luck I have had recently was actually on a recent coast trip, where I managed to pull a couple fairly nice rainbows out of the Yachats river (well, nice for me, ~10").

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Hey there. If you're looking for more smallies give Avery Park a try. You can hit the Marys river from a jillion different places.. and it's usually very clean!

Click here:
Google Maps

N
nyersa
Do you have any suggestions as to how to fish for em in the mary's as well as in that pond across from the golfcourse on highway 34? I went there last night right before dark (the pond) and saw quite a few big smallmouths jumping, but I only managed to hook a couple using a rooster tail, and they were a heck of a lot smaller than the ones I saw surfacing. I tried a 4" rapala crankbait, a couple really short little tube jigs, the rooster tail, and when I got bored some corn on a bobber.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
The ticket for me is a soft plastic crawfish on a jig head fished around gravel beds and drop-offs, maybe a few logs here and there. Just let it sink real slow and hop it along the bottom. Bring a whetstone to keep your hooks sharp around the gravel and rocks!

M
mahmichael
A new Fly Fisher!

A new Fly Fisher!

Hi guys,

I am new in fly fishing (I just did some spinning!) and i want to buy everything for flyfishing.
Well as a starter I want to buy the cheap ones and try it. I asked someone and he told me that without the flies, it will cost me at least 200$ to start. I mean the Rod, reel, Backing, line, leader and rod case.

Since I have to pay for the license and some fishing classes, that will be more than 300$. :think: :shock:

Thats too much for me! :(
Do you have any suggestions or any place that I can buy cheap or second handed equipments?

Any suggestion would be a great help. :pray:

Thanks

G
grampa ron
fly fishing

fly fishing

Hi,

You should keep watching craig's list. I bought $150 Lamiglass 5/6 wt. for $30
If you are mostly trout fishing don't go any heavier. Make shur you match the line to the rod. Get floating line. For leader material all I use is 6# Flourocarbon, it is invisable under water. Make shur the real is the proper hand for you. If you want to come down to the JC Pond I'll show you some basics. There are a lot of good lessons on YOU TUBE. Look for Mel Krieger, he is the best.

Ron

G
grampa ron
fly fishing gear

fly fishing gear

Scientic Angler is probaly not a bad place to start. They do have a mostly complete kit.

Bi-Mart has has a realy nice Lamiglass 9ft/5wt for about $80. It will be my next rod.

Ron

M
mahmichael
Thank you guys,

I would prefer to start with a 50$ set (I can't pay more!!!:(). Do you have a suggestion for that? Will those work for me?!

And since I'm not a US resident (I'm foreigner!), how can I apply for a Oregon resident fishing license? which is 30$ (while non-resident license is 100$!!).

Can I do that with an Oregon ID card? or driver's license?

Thanks

T
Thuggin4Life
I don't think you can since you have to be a resident of oregon for 6 months.

M
mahmichael
Thuggin4Life said:
I don't think you can since you have to be a resident of oregon for 6 months.

How about some one that have lived for 6 months in Oregon, but is not a US citizen? Can he?

H
Hooked on fishin'
mahmichael said:
Thank you guys,

I would prefer to start with a 50$ set (I can't pay more!!!:(). Do you have a suggestion for that? Will those work for me?!

And since I'm not a US resident (I'm foreigner!), how can I apply for a Oregon resident fishing license? which is 30$ (while non-resident license is 100$!!).

Can I do that with an Oregon ID card? or driver's license?

Thanks

I got a decent 9ft 5/6 weight with a reel at Bimart for 19.99, then 25 for floating flyline. I used some 30lb braid I had for a backing and am good to go!! The pole casts well, I like it better than the one i had before. I just started fly fishing and this set up works well for me. You can also buy flies at bimart for like 1.19 each, get some black nymphs if you are gonna fish the ponds and stuff. This is by no means a high quality set up but its good for a beginner, and has worked great for me so far. As far as the license goes, I think as long as your id or dl states you have been here for 6 months you are good to go, although I could be wrong. You can ask the people at bimart, where they sell the license's and I am sure they could tell you. Oh yeah, you can get tapered leader for a few bucks, or like Ron says, just use some 6lb line for leader! Hope this helps.:cool:

T
Thuggin4Life
mahmichael said:
How about some one that have lived for 6 months in Oregon, but is not a US citizen? Can he?

IDK check into it you might be able to.

B
beaverfan
mahmichael said:

I don't know for certain but it seems to me as soon as you've lived in the state for 6 months you are automatically an Oregon resident even though you aren't a U.S. citizen.

F
FishFiddle
Yea, I got two at BiMart when they had rod & reel combos on sale. The Martin Caddis Creek is not a bad combo, esp. for the price. I think they are reg. $20 and I think I got them for 16-17 bucks each on sale. I bought one each for my two boys and they are tickled with them. I used some 20# test for backing and a leader and you are all set. You should be all set w/ some flies for well under $50. Also watch the hock shops. I got a pretty nice rod in one for $20 a few months ago. Also watch craigslist and or ebay as there are some pretty good deals if you know what you want and watch the sellers. Other than that, I can't help w/ the license issue....good luck fishing.

M
mahmichael
License Limitatins

License Limitatins

Hi,

Is there any limitations for fishing (by the license)? I mean, is there any months or weeks that we can't fish?

And how long will it take to get a fishing license?

Thanks a lot
Michael

T
Throbbit _Shane
It wont take long to get the license unless there is a long line :D

M
mahmichael
Guys, anybody can answer me?

Is there any limitations for fishing (by the license)? I mean, is there any months or weeks that we can't fish?

And how long will it take to get a fishing license?

Thanks a lot
Michael