Will rain = fresh fish ?

T
tranceillvania
I caught my first ever steelhead a few weeks ago out of the slaw and now im addicted. I've been doing my research and from what I can tell, with the rain we are getting this week the fish should be moving and the river will probably be a madhouse Saturday. Is that about right? How much longer do we have for steelhead this season? I went last week for a few hours but water was super low and nothing I threw out got so much as a glance from anything....actually thats not true I did reel in a periwinkle. Who else is going to be out there with me this weekend?

H
halibuthitman
steelhead season never ends in Oregon... thats why oregon is the center of the steelhead universe...

jamisonace
jamisonace
I don't do weekend fishing trips thanks to my kids sports obligations but I'll be hitting it Monday. Leave a few fresh ones for me. I'm ready to take something home instead of releasing old fish.

T
Tacomasteelheader
it has to rain first, i know the storms coming but it might not be in time for the weekend rush, hard to say, glad i can fish 5 days a week :clap:.....all i know is it usuially takes atleast 2 days for it to even start rising unless its just a torential down poor. to answer your question there is always fresh fish moving its just about getting it in front of those fish at the right time in order to catch em. rain will promote more fish to move thus bringing us to think the concept that fresh fish always come with rain which is true. now i have a new thoery on how to catch these fish while the river is on the rise, most of the time they do not bite while that is happening and people always go along with fishing it on the drop. i caught chrome brite steelhead late in the year, not disclosing how late but it was late. best way to learn is get out on the water!

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
tranceillvania said:
I caught my first ever steelhead a few weeks ago out of the slaw and now im addicted. I've been doing my research and from what I can tell, with the rain we are getting this week the fish should be moving and the river will probably be a madhouse Saturday. Is that about right? How much longer do we have for steelhead this season? I went last week for a few hours but water was super low and nothing I threw out got so much as a glance from anything....actually thats not true I did reel in a periwinkle. Who else is going to be out there with me this weekend?

I found this to be a good source of water flow data to get a feel for effect of coming rain, shows actual flow measurements and then a prediction into the future for the Slaw at Mapleton...

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?MPLO3

D
dtikey
Tacomasteelheader said:
it has to rain first, i know the storms coming but it might not be in time for the weekend rush, hard to say, glad i can fish 5 days a week :clap:.....all i know is it usuially takes atleast 2 days for it to even start rising unless its just a torential down poor. to answer your question there is always fresh fish moving its just about getting it in front of those fish at the right time in order to catch em. rain will promote more fish to move thus bringing us to think the concept that fresh fish always come with rain which is true. now i have a new thoery on how to catch these fish while the river is on the rise, most of the time they do not bite while that is happening and people always go along with fishing it on the drop. i caught chrome brite steelhead late in the year, not disclosing how late but it was late. best way to learn is get out on the water!
very true Tacoma and well said couldnt agree more