What's a swinger got to do...

N
ninja2010
...to get a hit from a salmonid?

since stepping over to the fly-side several years ago, i've caught my fair share of stillwater trouts of various sizes.

but i've failed miserably on the rivers. yeah, i've hooked several resident trout, whitefish, suckers and quite a few smolts, but nothing bigger than 8" have shown any interest in anything i've swung. and i've thrown everything from egg patterns to nymphs to intruders to marabous to leeches, and wacky patterns i've concocted at the vise.

so, does anyone have any advice for a virgin swinger? or want to show me the ropes? i just want to feel that tug, and hear my hardy sing just once... am i asking too much? ;)

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
I will bring some sandshrimp oil to soak your flies in tomorrow ;)

brandon4455
brandon4455
i dont swing (plan on doing it for summers though) from what i have gathered summer steelhead are a lot easier Then winters on the swing because the water is warmer and a summer steelie will follow your fly. use stuff in dark colors from sizes 2-6 leeches,traditional wet flies,and skaters all on a floating line. I asked for info on summer steelhead swinging on a different website and this is the advice i was given.

W
waco
I'm impress with you Brandon! Even the stuff you never done before you knows it!! :think:

E
eggs
Jimmy I am going to try and tie up a size 2 4x long possy bugger or maybe on a tube.. I bet you nail em... Waco your thoughts about a giant possy bigger on a grease line swing?

W
waco
I bet that would do it! Just put a corky in front of your fly!

W
waco
eggs said:
Jimmy I am going to try and tie up a size 2 4x long possy bugger or maybe on a tube.. I bet you nail em... Waco your thoughts about a giant possy bigger on a grease line swing?

Just don't forget to tying it on dark colors!

E
eggs
waco said:
I bet that would do it! Just put a corky in front of your fly!

Pegged corny or just let er ride the leader? I am committed to get jimmy into a steelhead .. I am thinking about forcing him into a guided fly fishing steelhead trip.

W
waco
Just let er ride the leader! Do you have any good guides on mind?

E
eggs
A couple... I want to get jimmy into a big monster native steels or for salmon maybe some reds, though.. might have to head north.

M
meluvtrout
ninja2010 said:

since stepping over to the fly-side several years ago, i've caught my fair share of stillwater trouts of various sizes.

but i've failed miserably on the rivers. yeah, i've hooked several resident trout, whitefish, suckers and quite a few smolts, but nothing bigger than 8" have shown any interest in anything i've swung. and i've thrown everything from egg patterns to nymphs to intruders to marabous to leeches, and wacky patterns i've concocted at the vise.

so, does anyone have any advice for a virgin swinger? or want to show me the ropes? i just want to feel that tug, and hear my hardy sing just once... am i asking too much? ;)

You know what Jimmy, if you call every now and then, I might show you a couple of my new secret spots.

brandon4455
brandon4455
People catch steel on possie buggers all the time,especially on the McKenzie and willamette while fishing for trout

M
Mad dog
ninja2010 said:

Maybe your not swinging your fly in water that has fish that will actually eat a fly on the swing! To be effective you are really narrowing down the water types that you will find success by fishing the swing! Try adding a little action to the fly on the swing, it's a funny thing what will or what will not trigger a winter fish to bite! And they do move to eat a bait! Sometimes a pretty good distance if they want it!

G
GDBrown
I spent a few hours on the coast this last week swinging and didn't have any strikes either. I have seen guys catching fish on the swing where I was but have not been able to do it myself. When you figure it out Jimmy, give me a call and let me in on the secret also. I'm wondering if I'm getting deep enough with my weighted fly? How about you successful fishers sharing what flies you are using.

GD

brandon4455
brandon4455
for winter fish, t14 and a pink,black or purple moal leech with a hot orange conehead

N
ninja2010
well, eggs forgot the sandshrimp oil, so... skunked again today. :(

brandon, thanks for your suggestions... i'll hit you up when you've attained your guide status.

but seriously, though, i think mad dog nailed it - no playas in the waters i'm swinging. although summers are more active, i agree winters will also move for a chase if they so feel like it. i know i'm limiting my chances by choosing to swing, but i am after that tug. and that's also why i was swinging hardware when i was a gear chucker. i tried drifting and bobber/jig, but settled for spinners and spoons for the same reason i'm now shooting out skagit heads on long rods.

and gene, i learned a few things today observing eggs swinging his fly. i was standing on a high ledge so i could see what the fly was doing as he mended and swung. i have a few things to try out that'll hopefully get the fly more in the zone. then i'll let you know...

mlt... i'll call you soon. but those spots better have some fly chasers, not just bait chompers... :D

waco, do you swing? if you do, then i know you've got it down. and i would love to hit the wilson or clack with you.

any other swingers want to share? (you can pm if you'd rather not post.)

E
eggs
Jimmy you lie... you nailed this guy while swinging today! 2012-04-14_10-59-12_757.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice catch jimmy thats a chromer!! :lol: jiimy, this website is one i have used to gain a lot of info on fly fishing for steelhead, look at the categories on the right side of the page and start searching! some great info here, shortened my learning curve.

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/

Last edited:
W
waco
brandon4455 said:
People catch steel on possie buggers all the time,especially on the McKenzie and willamette while fishing for trout
People have catch steelhead with powerbait too! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
waco said:
People have catch steelhead with powerbait too! :rolleyes:
in alton baker canal ,yes but i have never seen anyone catch a steelhead in a river with pb LOL

Top Bottom