What size mainline and sinker for trolling?

X
xltom
I'm trying to get set up for trolling plug-cut herring on the slaw. I've been once before but I forget what size mainline and sinker we used? We'll be fishing near Cushman/dairy hole with flashers. Oh yeah and where to buy good herring and what size? Thanks for any input!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
xltom said:
I'm trying to get set up for trolling plug-cut herring on the slaw. I've been once before but I forget what size mainline and sinker we used? We'll be fishing near Cushman/dairy hole with flashers. Oh yeah and where to buy good herring and what size? Thanks for any input!

We go with 50# braid mainline with a red bead and big swivel. Clip a spreader to the swivel, 9" sinker drop (steel leader from Bimart), 6oz or 8oz cannonball with couple inches of 10# mono for quick break off. Chain of beads swivel, 1foot of 50# mono to our flasher, chain of bead swivel, herring on 40 to 50inch leader, we usually go with 25#.

Most common cut plug size is Blue or Green.

1.5mph to 1.8mph most common trolling speed. Check for seaweed and keep the swivels clean.

Cheers,roger

X
xltom
Thanx man. I've been following your reports. awesome. I have a penn 309 reel I'll use 40# mono on that. I also have an abu ambassadeur 6501 c3 that should easily fit the proper amount of braid. Hopefully the reel is tough enough to handle the load? I have never used braid before but I will have to in order to get 2 setups together for the trip. What knot are you using for the braid?

X
xltom
Anyone know where to get clear gas early in the AM on the way from Eugene to Florence?

Q
qwapaw
Pacific Pride Hyway 99 and Irving rd. Center pumps are clear.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
xltom said:
I have never used braid before but I will have to in order to get 2 setups together for the trip. What knot are you using for the braid?

I always use Palomar knot. cheers, roger

jamisonace
jamisonace
My main line is 30lb mono. Everything below the spreader is 25. My dropper is at least 18 inches of 12 or 15lb mono to usually 6 or 8 ounces of lead.

Not that it's the best or even right but it works for me.

X
xltom
Thanks guys. I'm hella anxious. Tying up gear right now for an early morning trip!! Can anyone tell me how to identify "the dairy hole"? Is it upstream or downstream from Cushman boat ramp? If anyone is out there I'll be in a 15 ft Gregor with a 1980 Johnson 15, trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing. Don't be scared to say hello and wish me luck.. I'll probably need it.

Q
qwapaw
I'll be in the water Tuesday. I will be in a red and black Alumaweld 20'. Go up stream from Cushman to find your area. You can follow the boats. Good luck. Qwapaw. (Dan)

J
JeannaJigs
xltom said:
Thanks guys. I'm hella anxious. Tying up gear right now for an early morning trip!! Can anyone tell me how to identify "the dairy hole"? Is it upstream or downstream from Cushman boat ramp? If anyone is out there I'll be in a 15 ft Gregor with a 1980 Johnson 15, trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing. Don't be scared to say hello and wish me luck.. I'll probably need it.

Dairy hole is not what it used to be...but it's above cushman, below tiernan. There used to be a dairy there, now it's just shambles, but hey it smells better. It's on the right side of the river (if you're heading upstream) and you'll know it when you get there, it drops off, and runs 30-40 ft dependning on the tide, for about 30 feet or so. That ambassadeur 6501 can handle heavy braid, but the gear ratio sucks on it, I have a bunch of them lol. Mine always has 65 pound braid on it, and then I run 40# leaders with 4/0 and 5/0 hook adjustable mooching leaders. I forgot my spreader last time. Don't make that mistake. You will hate life and want to throw your rod in the river. I gave up and ran a jet diver LOL. Use light line for your cannonball, 6-8 like was mentioned is perfect. I get green label herring at dick's when it's in stock, has been hard to come by lately though. I get clear gas from pacific pride on 99 like qwapa mentioned.

X
xltom
Jigsy!! I wish I was taking you...If not dairy hole then where?

X
xltom
hurry jigsy! I'm loading the boat now!!

J
JeannaJigs
EVERYWHERE! lol. I'd focus between tiernan and cushman. Just keep moving and cover as much water as possible. Roll WITH the tide, not against it, and you'll be good. I have no idea what the tides are doing because I called it quits and quit looking 'cause it's about upriver time, but hopefully it's a morning incoming for ya!

X
xltom
where are you fishing today? I know you're not up at 5 for no reason!

J
JeannaJigs
I'm at work LOL. I work graveyard these days...10pm to 830 AM, sunday-wed night. :( frickin' work. I'll be fishing a coastal stream from the bank thursday, friday, saturday, sunday though lol. After this storm tidewater is gonna be donezo.

X
xltom
hope to see ya at siltcoos then! Don't be a stranger.... I'm out.

J
JeannaJigs
I might get one or two siltcoos trips in, hard to say without any real boat access. Drift boat's not exactly legal, and rowing on that lake is overated.

D
DrTheopolis
JeannaJigs said:
After this storm tidewater is gonna be donezo.

That kills it "down there"?

In Tillamook, the first storm will often blow the darkies out of upper tidewater, and a new batch comes in. It's a pretty huge system, though, with late-running fish.

Q
qwapaw
Hi Jiggs, may see you this week. Tight lines as always my friend.

X
xltom
Jigs... you had me all worried I was wasting my time. My bro John Munny landed a native Chinook and had another pull the hook at the boat. I lost a jack at the boat too. Turns out my braid knot(uni) was fine but I need to learn how to tie big mono better. I hate when it's my fault! Oh well great day anyway.

johns first fall chinook.jpg