Weekend trip with Spydeyrch

M
Modest_Man
Don't really have time to comment on a lot but to say thanks for going Andrew, maybe we'll find fish next time. If you recognize the location, please refrain from mentioning it. Thanks.

P1030758_zpsfa709bc0.jpg

P1030760_zps4bd77562.jpg

P1030765_zps5973f4a8.jpg

P1030770_zps4159363c.jpg

P1030784_zpse171098c.jpg

P1030792_zps4b0bb64a.jpg

P1030798_zps477a25c5.jpg

P1030805_zps72632275.jpg

P1030809_zps421233f9.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
Mighty large coffee pot!

Well, at least you guys got out n' fished. And I do know that spot; but will keep it on the DL.

H
halibuthitman
you hiked too far too early... but its a nice hike-

A
alm21
Cool pics

J
JeannaJigs
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that brings along a sherpa (dog with pack lol)

T
TimberTodd
Great pics, thanks for sharing them.

S
Spydeyrch
It was a great trip!! I had a ton of fun and very much needed to get out!!! It was my first "official" steelhead trip and I learned a lot.

I was able to use a lot of gear for the first time, some of which I had gotten close to 2 years ago but just never had the right opportunity to use it. So because of that, my pack weighed close to 50 lbs. But it was worth it. :D

My new switch rod and accompanying setup felt great in my hands. I can tell it is going to need some more time on the water to really get used to it and a fish to break it in ......... :think: ........ hopefully not break it though. hahahahaha :lol:

Having your dog there was fun too. He is a crazy beggar man!!!!! hahahahahaha But he is a trooper. :clap:

We were able to watch another guy hookup and play the fish for probably about 15 seconds before the fish took off down stream and the guy went after it. He decided he needed a little swim and took a plunge in a large pool. :shock:

But after about maybe a minute or so, the fish came unbuttoned. The hook was bent. :( Oh well.

I do need to figure out how to better read the water conditions and how to better present my flies. But I think that is something that will take time and practice.

Friday was beautiful!! The sun was out, and on one particular sandbar, Modest_Man decided to take a nap and soak up the sun. It was a very nice day!! Saturday was cloudy and rainy, but I rather enjoyed it like that. It gave the day more of a typical steelhead fishing day persona, like the ones that are associated with steelhead fishing that I hear and read about all the time. So it felt nice to be in that kind of weather.

All in all, I think that it was a very productive trip .... just not for fishing .... although I did not skunk on Friday. I caught, by accident, a little 14" rainbow/smolt and let him go. I got him on the swing. It was nice to catch a fish on my first trip of the year. But unfortunately I skunked on Saturday. :( I broke my 2 year streak of not skunking ...... :(

Interesting thing is that we saw about 10 - 12 other people up there. I honestly thought that we would maybe see a max of 3 others up there. But I was surprised by how many there were. :think:

@HHM - Yeah, we figured that we were going early, but the hike was well worth the beautiful views and the sweet waters!!! If you have any tips, advise, ideas, please ..... feel free to shoot me a PM. :D :pray: :D hehehe ;) We will be going up there again sometime soon, just have to work out the details.

Take care y'all and thanks Modest_Man for heading out there with me. Next time I will pack significantly lighter, hahahahahaha!!!

-Spydey

M
Modest_Man
Not gonna lie man, the ice axe was overkill.

S
Spydeyrch
Modest_Man said:
Not gonna lie man, the ice axe was overkill.

Hahahahahaha, yes, yes it was. But I got to get an idea of how to pack it for when I take some winter trips next season. It has been years since I had an ice axe and had to pack it. So I took advantage of this trip and decided to test a few things out. :)

Hey man, ya never know. Maybe leaving it out that night scared some crazy fishing bum away from our camp, .... right. :think: :confused: hahahahaha :lol:

When are we going to go again?

Take care. :D

-Spydey

bass
bass
Great post guys. I love those pictures, looks like a beautiful spot.

B
billfisher
Looks like a great place to fish, hike, enjoy! Nice pics and report guys.

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

F
fuson22
Great pic's man. Your a "photographer"!!! lol. Very gorgeous area and stretch of water. I'm not a fly fisherman, but not because too easy. Takes a ton of skill, patience, and perseverance. Some of those things I need more of before taking on the art of the FLY- Being a complete fish-a-holic isn't enough. But I can only imagine how awesome it would be to fight just a normal 10-12lb steelie on a fly rod. I've seen it done and WOW! Now THAT'S a fight! Great pic's and report man, I enjoyed them.

L
lilsalmon
It is never too early to fish.....and you camped? Nice job, guys and great pics. Next time there will be fishes. And, yeah, leave the ice axe at home...hehe

S
Scott M
Great pics! Thanks! Reminds me of when I was young and adventurous!! :D

S
Spydeyrch
lilsalmon said:
It is never too early to fish.....and you camped? Nice job, guys and great pics. Next time there will be fishes. And, yeah, leave the ice axe at home...hehe

Nope, it never is, is it. :D :D

Yes, yes we camped!! We had, I would say, one of the best spots on the river!!! The second pic .... that is what we camped by, on a sweet little sand bar just off of the gravel bar there. Friday, the sun was hitting it just right and really made everything look spectacular!! That little bend in the river is where I caught my fish on Friday evening, just at twilight, on the swing.

Modest_man took all the pics even though I had my camera with me. I was just too focused on fishing. I should take some pics next time. :rolleyes: :D

I sure hope there are fishes next time!!!! BIG ONES!!!!!

Yeah, it will stay home next time. It had been a while since I hiked with a full pack, I had a lot of new gear I wanted to test out, and also test myself to see if I could still carry a 50lbs pack on a hike. I did it and I was fine. So next time I think I will go with like 25lbs. :) hahaha :lol:

-Spydey