Want to go carpin' with the fly rod.

D
durantmatt
Really want to catch some carp on the fly rod, just not sure where to go around here in Eugene. Any tips and suggestions on where to go and what flies to use. I've tied some flies that look like berries, corn, and then some bug patterns. I've also tied some hair rig style flies. Thanks guys!

J
john montana
If you are around Portland, I'll be giving a carp on the fly presentation at the Orvis store on April 27th at 1100. Will show lots of flies, talk techniques, show pics etc. These are my standard flies:

http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/2013/03/carp-flies.html

It really comes down to forage and what they are eating though. Once you know that, just put the fly within 6 inches of a feeding fish and let 'em find it. Good luck! This is a sight fishing game, if you can't see their head don't cast, and watch for the take!

hobster
hobster
You guys have gotten me real interested in this as well. I live in the Eug also and have been wondering the same thing, where to go get a carp on the fly. Thanks for the fly info John Montana, you should head south and give a presentation at Mazamas for us Eugene folk :D

J
john montana
I might be down in Eugene this fall doing one for a fly club...still working on dates. They are fun to chase, but be careful...it is a slippery slope!

D
durantmatt
Thanks for the info Montana, I live on a pond that has a lot of big carp in it, but as for sight fishing, it's impossible due to water color. I have seen some big carp and bass surge out of the water after some big dragon flies.

J
john montana
My experience with them here in OR is they are virtually impossible to catch blind fishing...not that you can't, but 1 out of 100 fish is aggressive enough to chase an artificial fly on the columbia and willamette. Low probability game. In ID, I caught most of my carp just blind stripping leeches, and we have done the same on lake mi, but those fish are light years more aggressive than the fish out here...likely due to forage. If they eat baitfish and leeches in your pond you might still be in business!