Walking fishermen

W
WillAndSky
So i'm located by Mt Hood Community College and want to get my daughter into some trout fishing while getting a little bit in for myself as well. I know about the MHCC Pond but was under the impression its for "Youth" only or is it for only a certain times of the month that its youth only? I'm currently vehicle-less so nearby spots would be greatly appreciated since im walking with my daughter

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! I don't know the area fishing spots, but I bet you could take a bus to more than you have in walking distance. As long as you are careful to not have any hook on the line when you board the bus there should be no problem. We have several members in the MHCC/Gresham area who should be able to point you in the right direction. Please let us know how you do...Again, welcome aboard.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Down on Glisan west of 223 Ave is a small man made lake and I believe it is call Salish Pond. It open to all ages and it is stocked, sound like what you might be looking for.

Last edited:
bass
bass
Mt. Hood pond is youth angling only from April 1- August 31. It is open to anyone now, but it has not been stocked since the spring and is probably loaded with weeds right now.

Salish pond is having a lot of work done to it and they stopped stocking it last year. It is not supposed to get stocked again until late 2014. There are warmwater fish there, but unlikely you will find any trout.

Here is a link to the stocking schedule: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/trout_stocking_schedules/2013/Northwest.pdf

Recently stocked lakes are all a bit of drive: Harriett, Faraday, Estacada, Trillium and North Fork Reservoir. Those are probably your best shot.

Good luck.

Oops, did not notice lack of vehicle. You may want to think about fishing for warmwater fish at Blue lake (also gets stocked in the spring for bass). Also if you can make your way to Columbia (by bus given distance) you can fish the shore (any rocky spots) for smallmouth. Not trout fishing but still a lot of fun.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
The Sandy River is near you. But, I'm not certain that it's open now, for trout fishing. So, be sure to check the reg's first.

D
DrTheopolis
Not sure if the bus goes all the way to the Sandy, but I know Max/Trimet will get you to the Clack, all the way to Estacada - might be able to walk down the Estacada Lake and try. Long bus ride, but sounds like the best no-wheels option I can think of.

Think a bus driver would mind if a person tried to strap a kayak onto the bike rack?

W
WillAndSky
Thank you everyone for the information. I went down to MHCC Pond today and was getting quite a few bites but only ones I landed were perches, so no luck on trout there. There was also rumors around the pond that its getting stocked either Wed or Thurs this week. They were in the process of cleaning it up while I was there so that might of been the reason for getting no bites but they were mainly doing landscape work over by the college side. I shall try a couple more days there then switch to the other places advised over the course of the week

W
WillAndSky
bass said:
Mt. Hood pond is youth angling only from April 1- August 31. It is open to anyone now, but it has not been stocked since the spring and is probably loaded with weeds right now.

Salish pond is having a lot of work done to it and they stopped stocking it last year. It is not supposed to get stocked again until late 2014. There are warmwater fish there, but unlikely you will find any trout.

Here is a link to the stocking schedule: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/trout_stocking_schedules/2013/Northwest.pdf

Recently stocked lakes are all a bit of drive: Harriett, Faraday, Estacada, Trillium and North Fork Reservoir. Those are probably your best shot.

Good luck.

Oops, did not notice lack of vehicle. You may want to think about fishing for warmwater fish at Blue lake (also gets stocked in the spring for bass). Also if you can make your way to Columbia (by bus given distance) you can fish the shore (any rocky spots) for smallmouth. Not trout fishing but still a lot of fun.

Also Blue Lake sounds like a great option, I've just never fished for bass before. Any tips besides rocky spots such as lures maybe? or just a good old hook and worm set up? Let me know cause that sounds exciting

troutdude
troutdude
DrTheopolis said:
Not sure if the bus goes all the way to the Sandy, but I know Max/Trimet will get you to the Clack, all the way to Estacada - might be able to walk down the Estacada Lake and try. Long bus ride, but sounds like the best no-wheels option I can think of.

Great idea! Good luck out there; or where ever you go.

Oh...and good on you...for wanting to take your kiddo out!

bass
bass
WillAndSky said:
Also Blue Lake sounds like a great option, I've just never fished for bass before. Any tips besides rocky spots such as lures maybe? or just a good old hook and worm set up? Let me know cause that sounds exciting

The rocky shoreline advice was for the Columbia, Blue lake is a fairly weedy lake and you will want to fish the weed edges there. For the Columbia things like crankbaits, minnow plugs, topwater (early morning) and soft plastics will all work. Worms under a slip bobber are also a choice (vary the depth until you find the fish). For Blue lake you can try worms or any weedless bass lures.

Best of luck!

M
Moe
There aren't really any trout in the sandy, but you could get suckers plunking worms by the railroad bridge.

I second using trimet. I take the bus and max to McIver on yhe clack and estacada lake is right by the stop, just a bit of a hike/bike ride if you want to hit the clack. It is a bit of a ride, about six hours round trip but I make the trip a couple days a week. Six hours doesn't feel like too much after all the scenery and good fishing there

D
DrTheopolis
You bike from Beaverton to fish the Clack?

You're an animal. I thought I was cool biking a couple of miles to fish the Tualatin.

What happens if you get a keeper chinook?

M
Moe
When I don't have money for the bus I bike haha. I can get to clackamette on my bike faster than I can get to McIver on the bus. Fish get bungeed to the bike. By the time I get home I usually end up collapsing as soon as I stumble in. Most of the time its on no sleep either lol out of my last 10 or so trips I only slept once before the trip. Imagine coming home from partying at 2 or three than leaving an hour later to fish.. til about ten in the evening. I just hope I can do it still by the time I'm 60, or you know.... have a freaken car hahaha

C
catchallthefish
^dude bro is defiantly beastly i to am a car less angler and the "things" we do to travel.
____^ng

T
troutmasta
catchallthefish said:
dude bro is defiantly beastly i to am a car less angler and the this we do to travel

:yikes: Translation please...

C
catchallthefish
im sorry english is not my first language although i have been studying hard i try to make conversation but it seems i am socially awkward yes?
i hope i spelled everything right that time and fixed my mistake and is up to satisfactory standards.

H
HereFishy
I wouldn't have guessed that. Honestly. I think we've had a few back and forth conversations before in other threads. Your English is just fine. Just keep us posted with your fishing reports and not many people on this forum will question your spelling or grammar..... You're doin just fine.

H
HereFishy
troutmasta said:
:yikes: Translation please...
Dude.... Bro is definitely beastly. I too am an angler [without a car]... The things we do to travel [to fishing holes]...

C
catchallthefish
Im a proud U.S. citizen born in Oregon i am of Russian decent but i really speak perfect english most people when they meet me can't tell i am at all by my voice. in my opinion this Oregonian speech is fairly strange to me most people seem to be such a stickler for perfect pronunciation of words......some of you are more forgiving and i greatly appreciate that! but my typing is not so good....also i like to mess around with funny voices mainly on tv like to drink some times get on here and when some one pokes fun i poke back

i spilled some liquid on my key board and it does funky things like not type , double tap or even put a letter i didn't even hit . it lags and really makes me angry so it literally takes a very long time to make it all right if it wasn't for spell check id be so screwed but then some times it auto corrects into things i dont want to! my computer is also slow like a banana slug! i think its from the early 2000s

so thank you for your patients with a goofy new comer