Waders

F
FlyBum
Well......I've pretty much destroyed my pair of Simms G3's in just over a year. They were sent back to Simms for either repair or replacement today. I've had to patch the things nearly 8 times (and still leak from newer spots), the gravel guards are pretty much gone, then the booties have several soon to be holes in them, I've had to Aquaseal the zipper pocket and the chest pouch is well on its way to becoming completely unstiched from both sides.

I don't know what to think?? Should I just get two pair of cheaper waders cause I just blow through them or get the G4s and hope they last longer. This isn't my first experience blowing through waders. A couple of years ago I got a pair of whOrvis (whore vis) when they opened here in town, and I went through 4 pair in 1, yes, 1 year. They were trying to screw me after the third return leaving a bad taste in my mouth for whOrvis, and haven't care for them since. Before that I blew threw 2 pair of Dan Baily's, and so on a and so forth. I know I fish a lot and fish hard. What's a guy to do??

And boots, don't even get me started.........Ahhhh.....:mad:

Steelhead season is upon us and I don't want to get wet at 5 in the morning!

J
JeannaJigs
I have found it to be more cost effective to get a couple cheaper pairs and then I don't get so angry when they go to shirt. Winter steel is a brutal time for my waders battling brush and I've come to accept that they're going to die in a season no matter what name graces them.

F
FlyBum
The only thing is that they gotta be comfortable, and these by far have been the most comfy pair that I've killed.

C
ChezJfrey
Yeah, I hear ya. I don't go through them quite as fast as you, but I don't quite get 8+ months for a pair, and I've tried a few different ones. At this point, I think I've resigned myself to getting a decent pair for around $150, having to Aqua Seal a couple times, then a new pair when it becomes futile. Not sure spending 2-3-4x more will be worth it when I hear/read from people that have spent that much and don't seem to get any better durability.

So, I have no answers.

B
bigsteel
redington sonic pro seam waders.

Reactions: eggs
S
steelhead_slayer
Yeah seems that waders wear out in less than a year for me as well. My recent pair I decided to go cheap and they blew out in a couple months. I would probably go with the ones with the best warranty, and reputation for filling that warranty

J
jonson
+1

+1

bigsteel said:
redington sonic pro seam waders.

I've only had them for abount 8 months, but I've been very happy with Reddington as well.

J
john montana
I have two thoughts.

One: Waders leak.

Two: Simms are by FAR the most comfortable waders out there.

So i go simms, and deal with the small leaks. If it gets heavy, send 'em in. i've got two pairs though, so i rotate the one being repaired and stay relatively dry that way. I'm like you...extremely tough on gear. I bash pretty much everything, but the simms have held up better than anything over the years so i pretty much stick with their stuff. if i had to go to a second brand, i would buy patagonia in a heartbeat.

as for boots...i love the simms guide boots with the rubber soles. i don't need felt for what i do, and the guide boots are simply tougher than the g4's...the uppers have less mesh so they don't rip out etc. and the rubber soles are much tougher than the felt. i haven't had any issues with those ripping out or the soles breaking.

E
eggs
waders that cost 2-3x more are more comfy and will handle the abuse and last 10x longer than cheap ones IMO

H
halibuthitman
patagonia, hodgman guide models, simms guide model, filson waders are the most comfortable but the pocket catches on oars too easily and they cost at least a hundred bucks more than they should. simms guide boot... korkers suck... period. patagonia boots also rock... but I have to ask, is it just the knees you keep wearing out? BBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAA BAAHHHAAAA.. from climbing banks and stuff ya know;)

Y
Yogidabear
Go contact USIA They make the best scuba drysuits, they can custom make you some waders that will last much longer then anything on the market at a fair price. He does suits for the military. I have one of his drysuits that I have probably over a thousand dives on and it still has no leaks and those have been in the ocean around barnacle laden rocks.

F
FlyBum
halibuthitman said:
patagonia, hodgman guide models, simms guide model, filson waders are the most comfortable but the pocket catches on oars too easily and they cost at least a hundred bucks more than they should. simms guide boot... korkers suck... period. patagonia boots also rock... but I have to ask, is it just the knees you keep wearing out? BBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAA BAAHHHAAAA.. from climbing banks and stuff ya know;)

Believe it or not....They have been leaking in the crotch the most. I don't know why they don't put a zipper all the way down for easier access. LOL

I'd like to stick with Simms but getting maybe two pair or the G4s. Unless I get a screaming deal on some Pats....... The Reddingtons are a thought because I think a friend may be able to get me a pair for around 50 bucks.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I wet wade barefoot year round.

Reactions: eggs
E
eggs
jamisonace said:

True man right there!

hobster
hobster
jonson said:
I've only had them for abount 8 months, but I've been very happy with Reddington as well.

I used an old pair of Reddingtons for about 7 years, granted i didn't fish them a ton but they lasted until last years steelhead fishing obsession began. I did use them every year for trout in the spring and autumn, and they did me right. I just got a pair of Cabellas, lets see how long those suckers last.

F
FlyBum
jamisonace said:

I'm inviting you to come fish the Metolius this winter for Bull Trout with me. Butt............Only if you are wet wading :)

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
I'm inviting you to come fish the Metolius this winter for Bull Trout with me. Butt............Only if you are wet wading :)
Probably don't have an issue busting out the front of those waders in those conditions.

E
eggs
I usually need a wading partner to help hold my bull trout. 2 hands just can't handle those big slippery bullies.

F
FlyBum
It was a referral to both the wet wading comment, your comment (OTF/tfo), and fishing in the snow on the Met. Plus I don't think you've ever seen Bulls that big except for in the pictures I've taken.

jamisonace
jamisonace
That sounds cold and judging by the picture you posted I might have to wear a long sleeve shirt that day. :)

FlyBum said:

Reactions: FlyBum