Tualatin Fishing

F
FlyGuy#1
I am Heading To Portland for a week long Training and will be staying in Tualatin. are there any trout streams or bass ponds within say, 30 mins of there? i hate to be away from the water that long. i know there is good salmon and steelhead fishing on the columbia but a nice small stream would be ideal.

V
Van
Well, the Tualatin river runs right through town. You could catch some bass, trout, monster carp, etc. Access could be an issue though since the bank of the river is very heavy vegetation in most areas. There is a park on the nw side of town that should allow you some access. There is also the Willamette just quick run down I-5. The first exit after Wilsonville will get you to Champoeg park. Not sure of exactly how much fishing access is there however. Even further south, 20-30 mins down near Woodburn are the St. Louis ponds.. Lots of pan fish, ect. Good access

J
john montana
The Tualatin is tough without a boat. You might try hitting the pudding river down by canby. Not a ton of big bass but it is easy to wade around and catch some small bass.

Reactions: eggs
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
If you want to try the Tualatin, there's wade access at Cook Park in Tigard (it's near Tigard high, near Durham and Hall blvd intersection, river is at the far back of the park). There's a boat launch at Cook, and you can easily wade upstream from it (rockier bottom, down stream of the ramp is pretty muddy). Small bass, perch, s q u a w fish, carp... there's also more limited access at Brown's Ferry Park in Tualatin off Nyberg Road, and the big city park on Tualatin Road near the city hall and police stations. That park is near the confluence of Fanno Creek and the Tualatin river. Fanno dumps water that is normally cooler than the Tualatin main stem, so if there's trout to be had this time of year, they'll probably be near there. Lots of squawfish around there, and carp, and more small bass. River is deeper there too, so wading might be a challenge.

You can also access the river off Hazelbrook Rd, near the intersection with Hwy 99. Limited access there, but fishing under the bridge can be decent.

Drive south to Wilsonville, and head down Boone's Ferry Rd on the north side of the river, and it dead ends at the Willamette. There's some decent bank access/wade access there, just upstream of the Boone Bridge on I-5, across from the big boat launch at Butteville. I've done well with bass in that area. There's also river access at the city park off Wilsonville Rd on the east end of town.

You can drive to Canby and hit up not just the poodin (pudding) river, but you can fish the Mollala also - access off Knights Bridge Rd. The Mo' will still be running cool enough to trout fish, and there's smallmouth bass in that stretch too if you choose.

You can also hop over to West Linn and fish Willamette Park - where the Tualatin meets the Willamette river. Good bank access, good wading access. It's mostly a bass show at this time of year - smallmouths mostly. Big carp around there too - and a chance at a coho (well, at least in the last few years. If the 'ho's are moving up river, I've not heard many people speaking about them yet) or a steelhead. There's a small park near where Dollar Street meets Borland Rd that you can get to the river from. Bass & carp show again. Very trouty looking water - hardly recognizable as the lower Tualatin river if you didn't know better :)

Are you going to have a day off at all while you're up here, or is it training every day with only afternoons off to fish?

F
FlyGuy#1
only the after noons to fish. im staying in bridge port, so the tualitan is not far away. i appreciate all the info. i will be fly fishing but that will make for some fun Small Mouth fishing.

J
john montana
I hit the Tualatin with the kids today...over by west linn. Caught a ton of crayfish and hooked a few small bass on spinning rods. Didn't land any. Pretty tough to fish that river with a 5 and 6 year old.

Here is JJ on the pudding from Wednesday night. Decent largemouth for a 5 year old and an ultralight rod.

b08b6f50.jpg
51f6a230.jpg

We hit the pudding again last night and the kids caught about 15 little smallies.