Trout limit question

S
sapo
I always thought the limit was 5 trout per person per day, but on the ODFW Regulations it says "Trout Catch Limits: Lakes: 5 Trout per day, 2 limits in possession" What does the two limits in possession part mean? Please help as I am going fishing early tomorrow morning.

T
Throbbit _Shane
It means if you're camping you can have two limits on hand. So if your camping for more then two days I guess you better fry up some trout for dinner!

Tight Lines!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
that is a really good question, the details on possession limit on page 8 of the perm. regs. helps:

Possession Limit: Maximum number or amount of a type of fish or shellfish that a person may lawfully possess in the field or forest,
or in transit to the place of permanent residence.

but remember, having 2 limits in possession does not mean you can catch more than 1 limit during any legal fishing day (usually 1hour before sunrise to 1hour after sunset).

cheers, roger

E
eugene1
In california, the possession limit also applies to fish at your permanent residence!

Good luck on your trip, sapo, but I hope you didn't jinx yourself by thinking about this,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
In california, the possession limit also applies to fish at your permanent residence!

OK, now that has me interested in the CA details, how exactly would that work? once the fish are filleted, vacuum sealed, frozen, and others smoked and/or canned, how would you even calculate what you have in possession?

E
eugene1
You're supposed to consume and then go get more. No stocking up or hording fish.

Doesn't seem to be enforced, and there is the issue of where it's from anyway. Lots of people come back from AK with 50# of many fish, which is difficult to distinguish from local fish once processed. So it's unclear to me how it could be regulated.

Best,

rogerdodger said:
OK, now that has me interested in the CA details, how exactly would that work? once the fish are filleted, vacuum sealed, frozen, and others smoked and/or canned, how would you even calculate what you have in possession?

troutdude
troutdude
The main thing is, it is illegal to keep any more than 5 trout per person per day. Putting 10 trout on a stringer, in a single day, is NOT legal. I see people do this; but it is not legal. At least that's how I interpret, the daily bag limit.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
troutdude said:
The main thing is, it is illegal to keep any more than 5 trout per person per day. Putting 10 trout on a stringer, in a single day, is NOT legal. I see people do this; but it is not legal. At least that's how I interpret, the daily bag limit.
Perfectly legal as long as there are two or more folks fishing together. Sharing a stringer is allowed.

E
Explorer21
5 trout per day per person, no matter how many lakes you fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Raincatcher said:
Perfectly legal as long as there are two or more folks fishing together. Sharing a stringer is allowed.

What I meant was; only 5 fish can be kept per day (not 10). Many peeps keep 10 per day--because you can have 10 "in possession". But keeping more than 5 in one day, is illegal.