To all steelheaders, ticket alert.

R
rippin fish lips
But no, really... They are out in "full force" this year. Get your passes now if you don't already have one. I did not get one but the other guy in front of me did.

now to the main part of the thread.

Sorry guys :D I just love getting peoples attention... March is coming, the first springer had been caught. This is the time where i start putting my casts in for summer steelhead and i plan to do work on these lil fellas even more. So i got a question for you.. or 2 or 3 or idk how many. so here goes!

1) What is the "method" you prefer to use 90% of the time?

2) If you would please, tell me the setup that you use for that method.
Please include your rod, real, line, and leader, (rigging). You can make your answer simple, or get tech with it, it sup to you.

Last edited:
N
nativefish
spinnner... they catch everything from big to small from chinook to junk fish. 9'2 north river 4-10lb spinning rod, shimano stradic 3000 reel, 10lb cx moss green, plug snap to blue fox size 3 spinner, no added weight or leader. I like the plug snap i feel i get more action on the spinner as opposed to using a snap swivel and suprisingly i dont get as much line twist as one would expect

S
SantiamDrifter
Well its all depends on water conditions and weather conditions. But typically Bobber fishing bait either eggs or prawns/coon shrimp, Pink worms or jigs. I like a good long rod, no shorter than 9'6. A good braided line, I like power pro in 30# test. All my mono leaders will be 10 or 8# UG, and my flouro leaders will be 12# Seaguar.

The type of float fishing depends on water height. In high water I will float drift. It keeps my bait on the bottom moving real slow. I like to target the slow water where the fish hold up in high water, so that method puts the bait in front of their face for the longest possible time. In high snag areas I'll use a stick weight, but in all other places I'll just use a slinkie weight. I always run a bigger bobber then needed, that way it helps pull the weight up off the bottom, causing less snags. Sense I'm float drifting, I dont worry about matching the weight of the bobber to the weight I'm using.

In medium to low water I perfer a vertical presentation. If Im fishing bait, I'll use an inline weight and maybe a spilt shot or two to keep my bait in the zone. If I change up to pink worms or jigs. I like to run a Thrill wire float for max sensitivity. I add on a Mono/flouro bumber of line to my braid and run my fixed thrill float on that, stright down to my pink worm/jig. I'll add a couple spilt shot to help it get down if need be.

So theres 3 different baits, 2 different presentaion styles and 4 different ways to rig your weights.

E
eggs
Flies

E
eugene1
In hatchery areas my go-to is divers and bait back trolled down the tailouts. I've been playing around with side drifting more too though.

I'm looking forward to summer steelhead as well. Might be fun to start a first summer steelhead contest for various basins? I saw the first springer passed over the Willy falls today, so they are coming.

brandon4455
brandon4455
are we talking about springers or summer steel?

R
rippin fish lips
brandon4455 said:
are we talking about springers or summer steel?

Summer steel. I will make another thread for the springers.

E
eugene1
I was talking about fishing for summer runs, but just mentioned that the spring Chinook were coming up also.

brandon4455
brandon4455
oh okay, i agree with eggs then. flies :lol: im a newb for summer steel but two rigs i would use

: 6lb leader,split shot,thingamabobber strike indicator and an egg sucking leech,egg sucking stonefly or a possie bugger and mega prince setup

i would also us an 8lb leader straight to a moal leech or streetwalker and swing it in a tailout

M
Merle
rippin fish lips,
I'm a little slow on the uptake, what are they giving tickets for and what are the passes you are refering to ?

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
For summers eh? First off. Are you in a Boat or Bank?And are you focusing on tributaries or mainstreams? I'm a bankie usually so here's what I got for you. Always carry a few rods. ( IF POSSIBLE ) I like to carry a drift rod for bait/corkies/yarn etc.. 8'6-9ft in length. 8-12 lb ratio. Next rod a bobber set up. Depending on the specific water you are fishing a 1/4 oz-3/4oz float will be the range you're looking for. On a 9'6 pole or longer. 4-10lb ratio. I also like the power pro line. Under bobbers for summers it doesn't get better than jigs... Ive seen summer steel dart 20 yards to hit a jig. Quite different than a winter when you sometimes have to hit 'em on the nose. I usually use 18-24 inches of leader from my swivel to jig. ( Almost fishing immediately when it hits the water) My favorite patterns are nightmare/light pinks with whites/light orange with white. I like a white jig head too on my jigs ( as do the steelhead ) And for a third rod another spinning set up similar to the first one imnthe 6-12lb range atleast 9ft in length for spoons and spinners with mono line 10-12lb...Lets just say if the other options aren't working throw your hardware out in the run you were just fishing and hold on tight. They smack it so hard ive had a few almost rip the pole out of my hands ( Mostly Native Bucks ) Oh, and when you're fishing spoons and spinners fish them off the bottom..If you don't lose some spinners or spoons on an outting you probably weren't fishing them right..Thats my 2 cents. Little unorganized but I think you get the jist of it..GOOD LUCK

R
rippin fish lips
Merle said:
rippin fish lips,
I'm a little slow on the uptake, what are they giving tickets for and what are the passes you are refering to ?

For not paying the (parking fee) at (lane county) public boat ramps. The year round parking pass, you can pick up at bi-mart, wal-mart, any fishing retail store. its 30$ and is a great investment... now back to my rod/gear questions... ill answer mine later tonight. got stuff to do.

M
mccarrel
I've had a lot of success fishing spinners for summers, 12 lb mainline with an 8lb leader with a swivel in between. size 3 and 4 with darker colors like a Michael Jackson with an Orange blade or Chrome. Bonus, I've hooked Springers in the same whole as my buddy was hooking steel. Now that I've figured out Jig fishing for winters I'll probably try it for summers before tossing the hardware into a run.

S
Steelheader4Life
All I need for summers is a 9'6 spinning rod equipped with any spinning reel (I prefer Shimano's or Pfluegers but in all honesty it doesn't matter), 10lb fluoro clear (P-Line) and a #3 Bud's Spinner (in silver or gold). I always have my bobber rod with me as well but there's nothing better than small spinners for summers.