The bass were really biting on Saturday...

bass
bass
... for my buddy. I got my ears pinned back on Saturday as my regular fishing partner caught about 25 bass and 3 huge pikieminnows. I managed to scratch out a meager 8 bass.

My buddy quickly figured out that the bass were out a little deeper. I stubbornly (nice way to say stupidly) kept insisting that the bass were going to move up shallow any minute. I watched him catch fish after fish on soft plastics while I stubbornly stuck with moving baits.

He was quickly had 10 fish to my none. I finally gave in and started fishing slow and deep but my heart was not really in it. From that point on he still outfished me 2:1. Nothing over 2lbs for me and nothing over 3lbs for my buddy. I did eventually catch a small fish on a vibrating jig but that was my only fish caught on a moving bait.

The only redeeming aspect of the day was that I finally caught some fish on a wobblehead jig. That is one of my buddy's favorite lures but I never fished one long enough to get a feel for it or catch a fish on one. In the past I would make a half dozen casts and then put it away. Lack of confidence and lack of success are joined at the hip in fishing.

On Saturday I just stuck with that lure starting midmorning. Probably fished with it 90% of the rest of the day. I caught 5 of my 8 bass on it so I would say that I am now a fan. Definitely more interesting than fishing a drop shot or a Ned rig in my book - especially in the wind and/or current. I am still quite a novice with it but I stink at it less than I did at the start of the day. That is what you call progress :)

I missed a lot of bites and almost even had my rod jerked rod out of my hand once. I am so used to fishing with an open hook where the fish do most of the work in hooking themselves. Early on I set the hook on a lot of rocks and carefully jiggled my wobblehead free from some bass. Doh!

That improved as the day went on, although even at my "best" I still missed more than I should have. I will now fish that lure more often and hopefully improve my skill.

Just to round out the report I did not get a single bite on a crankbait, jerkbait, rattletrap or a swimbait even though I did spend a fair bit of time with each in my hand. Fish were out in 12 to 20' and seemed pretty tight to the bottom. Bite was great (for my buddy) early and then picked up again late in our day. The wind blew us off the water around 3pm. When there are hydrofoil windsurfers doing circles around you it is time to call it a day!

My buddy had a great day and I caught as few fish as I deserved :)

• Haha
Reactions: Slo, 305to503fishermen, fromthelogo and 1 other person
troutdude
troutdude
@bass I went to Hagg last Saturday morning. Got a smallie--in front of the creek to the left of Ramp A--on a power egg and grub! Switched to the Ramp C side and got my trout limit in about 40 minutes. They were all great fighters!

Reactions: Slo and fromthelogo
bass
bass
Nice! I have not been to Hagg in a long time. Maybe another trip is due. This is such a great time to be there since both the trout and the warmwater species are all pretty active.

Reactions: Slo and troutdude
Top Bottom