The war on bait continues

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
pinstriper said:
Scent doesn't count as chum, so why would it be bait ? isn't there bait in most scent ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, scent is liquefied bait, it is 'fish sauce' for fish!

B
Billamicasr
pinstriper said:
Scent doesn't count as chum, so why would it be bait ? isn't there bait in most scent ?

I believe Pro-Cure is the only or I should say main one that actually grinds up bait to make their scents. I've been in their "stinky" factory numerous times when I lived in Salem and watched the process; owner Phil Pirone is a good friend.

I read about one company, East Coast, who uses ground up night crawlers to make a Bass fishing product that is sold in a form like ChapStick. I don't know who they are by name. I would guess others will start or should start to use some bait in their scent to try to catch up with the number 1 rating of Pro-Cure.

Should have Googled it first... there is another one sold in a tube called Liquid Meyham, found that at Amazon.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
On page 8, of the 2016 reg book, "Scent is NOT considered bait."

P
pinstriper
troutdude said:
On page 8, of the 2016 reg book, "Scent is NOT considered bait."

That was my point. Scent isn't bait and it isn't chum, and scents are made of the same stuff as bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
pinstriper said:
That was my point. Scent isn't bait and it isn't chum, and scents are made of the same stuff as bait.

True dat. Scents, to me, have always been akin to "old school" chumming. My gramps used to smash up corn, salmon eggs, worms, etc. back in the 1940's. Then put the mix into a can; with holes punched into it. Then drop overboard; and attract fish to the boat. Way before my time...so not sure if that was legal then, or not.

T
troutmasta
I like it, I may have to develop some scents.

troutdude
troutdude
troutmasta said:
I like it, I may have to develop some scents.

Hmm...am I detecting a subliminal message...a conundrum, as it where? LOL

T
troutmasta
Not intentionally but I'll roll with it. ;)

H
Hookset
if you fill a brad's cut plug with fillet of sardine or hearing is that scent or bait? Technically it is encased in a hard plastic shell and only acting as a scent?

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I think a pretty good way to objectively categorize something as "bait" would be to ask two simple questions.

1) Is it now, or was it ever, alive? If the answer is no, proceed to the next question.

2) Is it edible and nutritious to anything that is alive, bacteria excluded?

If the answer to both questions is "no" then I am going to say, categorically, that it is not bait. The first question covers critters, the second things like bread. Of course, ingredients used to make bread came from something that was alive, so you almost don't need the second question.

Oregon regs... a horse designed by committee.

R
Rain
This topic is 5 months old but I wanted to update it so anybody reading it wont be misinformed.

ODFW updated the regulations a few months after I made this topic. They added "clarifications". Use of bait is indeed allowed in the Corvallis area Willamette river, just as it has been in previous years. Much to my relief.

OgQFsLb.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YSTsUS3.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though there is no bait allowed in the Marys river in Corvallis, which is a change from earlier years :/

Last edited: