Taking a fly fishing class and getting college credit

A
AssassinfromOR
Hey all,

So I just recently get into the world of fly fishing a few months ago. I have been learning everything I can about it, while I have yet to wet a line on my fly rod (chinook and steelies have been taking up all my precious limited time) I hope to be changing that soon.

Anyway I had to register for my fall classes at WOU today and was in need of a few extra credits to keep full time status in my senior year. Well I was thumbing through the catalog and came across a fly fishing class that I actually receive credit for! I'm pretty excited about it. Not exactly sure what the class will be covering just yet but looking forward to it regardless.

Anyone else ever take a class like this in college?

R
radarnut
I took a fly fishing class at Eastern Wash Univ a few years ago and had a blast! We met on either Thursday or Friday night to go over the basics and get some practice in the gym. The class split into two groups for the weekend, one group fishing on Saturday and the other on Sunday. Even though most of us were beginners, there were a few who were experienced and just wanted to get some college credit for doing what they loved to do. On our day we went to a nearby lake and practiced from the bank for a while, then went out in canoes to fish some different spots in the lake. It was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone looking to do it.

P
PNW Sam
How many credits is it? I've seen classes of this type offered, but they usually seem to be 1 credit. It would be sweet to take a specialty class like this that's around 3 credits and really learn something about the subject.

R
radarnut
It was a 1 credit class, most classes like that are just 1 credit. Now if they offered a class that was fly fishing AND fly tying, I could see that as a 3 credit class. Maybe it could meet once a week and could also cover topics like entomology, geology, hydrography, map reading, fisheries management, ichthyology, orienteering (need to learn how to find hard to reach places, right?). No doubt there are more topics that would go well in a class like this. THAT would be a class to take, especially if it had field trips!

T
the_intimidator03
Well classes such as Fly Tying and Fly Fishing fall under physical activity classes here at OSU. I am currently taking fly tying classes here. They are 1 credit classes.
As for classes related to entomology, Geology, fisheries management.... those are more substantial than just a single class or such in the subject. Such as the fisheries management and ichthyology would be found in a lot of Fisheries and Wildlife Biology program that I am in. Geology classes would be in Geology department however its finding the right type of geology related in what you want to learn.

R
radarnut
True, those subjects are covered in depth if you are taking those specifically, but to cover one or two of those every class as an overview would really make for a great class. The instructor wouldn't even need to be an expert in those areas, just be able to go over the basics. They could even bring in some guest lecturers who are experts. Besides, this would work great as an introduction to those subjects, and perhaps encourage some people to take more classes in that field. Who knows, they might even decide to change majors.

T
the_intimidator03
well what I would do is talk with advisors that teach those subjects and tell them what you want to acheive (basic knowledge of entomology in a fishing aspect) and they can probably point you to classes to take.

M
Modest_Man
the_intimidator03 said:
Well classes such as Fly Tying and Fly Fishing fall under physical activity classes here at OSU. I am currently taking fly tying classes here. They are 1 credit classes.
As for classes related to entomology, Geology, fisheries management.... those are more substantial than just a single class or such in the subject. Such as the fisheries management and ichthyology would be found in a lot of Fisheries and Wildlife Biology program that I am in. Geology classes would be in Geology department however its finding the right type of geology related in what you want to learn.

Are you in Advanced Fly Tying this quarter? I'm in there...

T
the_intimidator03
fly tying II which I didn't see anything more advanced offered