Swinging wet flies

hobster
hobster
I've fly fished dry flies for about 10 years and feel pretty good about my capabilities. Last fall i finally started using nymphs and wet flies (about time, didn't know what i was missing!). Since then i've hooked more and bigger fish, mostly on nymphs. My problem has been the wet fly swing, i seem to loose way too many fish. I hit the Mac this morning for a couple of hours before work and missed quite a few, it was getting frustrating because i feel like i'm learning all over again. I hook them a lot at the end of the swing, but not during the swing. I know you dont set the hook while swinging,which is so tempting when it hits your fly, so i'd let them grab for a second and then give a slight tug but it seems to take the fly out of their mouths. My question is, do you set the hook at all during a swing or just let the fish take off with it? I'm fishing soft hackle flies for trout by the way. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Irishrover
Irishrover
My luck with swining wet flies is the fish do the hook setting for me. Sharp hooks help a lot, along with letting the rod do its job. After you get a hook up what position is your rod in. If it is still down at water level it can't do its job. As soon as practical (without ripping the fly out) bring the rod tip up so the rod can go to work. I suspect you already know this but that all is all that comes to mind right now.

O
OnTheFly
I'm no expert but if my fly bumps and stops in the middle of a swing, I'm setting the hook. Maybe waiting a second allows the fish to turn for a better hook set but I refuse to put that theory to the test. I agree with Irishrover with rod position and keeping your hooks sharp. That's solid advice.:)

Reactions: eggs
hobster
hobster
Hmmmm, maybe my rod tip is too low. I'm used to casting dries so its more in the hook set and not the rod position. I'll work on that next time out, thanks for the advice. I always lift it when i hook a fish of course, but maybe its too low when i swing. I generally have it pretty low during the swing, do you guys lift yours?

O
OnTheFly
I follow the drift with the rod practically level but slightly raised. The lower the rod is held the deeper the fly will go and and at that position gives plenty of room for hook setting.

E
eggs
Swinging wet flies seems my line goes straight and pulls before I realize a fish is on... a slight move of the rod tip down stream to the bank and bring the fish in.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yes my rod tip is down during the swing, pointing at my line and following the line through the swing. When I get a hit I bring the rod tip up but not in a fast or quick move. Basicly what OnThe Fly said. I know some guys who have that rod tip in the water but that's more for steelhead swinging.

hobster
hobster
Eggs that avatar distracts me every time, my 3 favorite things to do. :D Anyway, i got a few more flies at the store today and i'll be tryin them out monday. I'll consider my rod angle and try to let the fish hook itself a little more. My line is always pretty tight and i feel everything that hits it, its hard not to react especially after bouncin corkies for steelies lately. I hope its not too tight, but i think the water speed effects that more than anything and i try too avoid fast water where the fly is dragging on the surface. Thanks guys, i can't wait to get back out there!

F
FlyBum
My perspective on the whole thing (trout and steelhead) is "Lift em, loose em" The way I was taught was to either use a shock loop and when the fish takes let the loop go. http://www.flyfishusa.com/newsletter/100508/ The other thing that I know from guys that use a click-pawl fishing steel, is to let the fish just take the thing and run, don't lift!! This can translate to drag reels too, loosen it up. The other day I was at a favorite trout spot, and the ticket was to swing some caddis emergers under a Tunghead PT. Making the working fly just a few inches under the water, and I slayed em with this technique. :)

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
Now i'm startin to think my line may be too tight when i swing. I never use a loop so i'm gonna try that, thanks for the help flybum. I love learning new techniques and things to try, and i dont' have any friends who fly fish so i try to learn from watching others. I might be hitting some mountain lakes soon and have little experience with stillwater, Randy you seem to be the man - expect a pm!

H
halibuthitman
Dropping a loop never hurts when it is a tail end of the swing strike. It may be your flies as well, often trout, with the exeption of the. Vicious cutthroat will just nip at the fly steelhead especially.. This trait was the primary driving force behind the stinger hook muddlers and intrueders and tube flies... Putting the hook behind the presentation. No tying material should protrude more than 1/3 rd of the length of the fly behind the bend of the hook of the fly. When i swing i trim off anything that protrudes. Behind the hook. If you have to set th hook, do it with a cross body twist without raising the tip.