Some summers were spotted, at the Foster Dam hatchery! BRING IT ON!!! :thumb:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
troutdude said:
Some summers were spotted, at the Foster Dam hatchery! BRING IT ON!!! :thumb:

how colored up were they?

C_Run
C_Run
....and there's two springers over Willamette Falls as of today. Better bust out the plunking gear.

E
eugene1
It's getting to be that time for the first summer runs to be caught on the Mac and the Willy too.

Hope you guys post 'em up here. Maybe we should have an OFF contest?

Best,

troutdude
troutdude
Fresh and early summers; is what I was told.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I was on the mckenzie fishing the march brown hatch this week and we saw a steelheader trying his luck. Pretty early but I can't say I blame him for trying.

H
harley schramm
Any reports on the sandy river yet

E
eugene1
Most probably just dtikey trying to beat his earliest catch!

Take care,

jamisonace said:
I was on the mckenzie fishing the march brown hatch this week and we saw a steelheader trying his luck. Pretty early but I can't say I blame him for trying.

M
mikeee2362
C_Run said:
....and there's two springers over Willamette Falls as of today. Better bust out the plunking gear.

I saw that too. How does the fish count at Willamette Falls usually correspond with the Sandy? I know it's a completely different system, but is there any kind of timing parallels between the two?

H
harley schramm
Well they have to go up the Columbia River first before they reach the Willamette so I think there close in the timing judging the distance but Im just guessing im not a pro is why I was asking

troutdude
troutdude
We are talking about the South Santiam here folks. Not the Sandy. It is early; as they usually don't show--especially all of the way up to Foster Dam--until April.

I see no correlation, between fish moving into the Willy and then the Santiam basin...and those that bypass the Willy, and run up the Sandy. They are 2 completely different drainage basins.

T
todd_brooks
Completely different basins but steelhead are steelhead and if there truly are some in the Santiam already its pretty easy to imagine its likely there are some in the Sandy. They're all coming from the big blue and its a much shorter swim to make their way to the Sandy.

D
DrTheopolis
I'm no expert on the subject, but I'd say there's probably a better correlation between the Bonneville counts and the Sandy than Willamette Falls.

When the counts jump at the Falls, it usually indicates that fish are moving through the Willy, and although the Clack is below the Falls, the fish show up when the counts go up... generally.

Heard a report of someone landing a summer on the Clack this weekend (but I didn't actually see the fish).

Reactions: mikeee2362
R
rippin fish lips
For all of you wondering, there should be a few summer in the sandy, south santiam, willy and Mac. I will say I have been on a few trying to chase them. Nothing yet but and I just got 2 days off. A lot of the lower willy is slow flowin so a lot of the steelhead shoot righ on theou

Reactions: mikeee2362
M
mikeee2362
rippin fish lips said:
For all of you wondering, there should be a few summer in the sandy, south santiam, willy and Mac.
Thanx, for that...cuz I was wondering. Being new here in Oregon, I'm trying to get these fish's patterns down. I'm trying to find indicators that I can draw any info from to try to fill in a calender of what fish are where and when. Without a fish counter on the Sandy(my "home" river) I have to either guess or look at countless other sources or wait to hear of fish being caught to know when they are present. ie: Springers in the Sandy? Is there a correlation "timing wise" to any other river? Is it just a guessing game? I'm soooo confuzzled. Sorry but my noobism coupled with an insatiable craving for info might make me ask dumb questions sometimes. Any info is appreciated!!

M
mikeee2362
DrTheopolis said:
I'm no expert on the subject, but I'd say there's probably a better correlation between the Bonneville counts and the Sandy than Willamette Falls.

When the counts jump at the Falls, it usually indicates that fish are moving through the Willy, and although the Clack is below the Falls, the fish show up when the counts go up... generally.

Heard a report of someone landing a summer on the Clack this weekend (but I didn't actually see the fish).
Ahh thanx for this too!!

D
DrTheopolis
mikeee2362 said:
Springers in the Sandy? Is there a correlation "timing wise" to any other river? Is it just a guessing game? I'm soooo confuzzled. Sorry but my noobism coupled with an insatiable craving for info might make me ask dumb questions sometimes. Any info is appreciated!!

Again, your best "easy" resource is the Bonney counts. And I read somewhere (ODFW site, maybe) that a fish checker checked a springer on the Sandy in the last few days. One fish does not fishable numbers make, but if that guy caught one, you can too, right?

As far as your home-river -- I've rarely fished it (decades of fishing the Portland area, go figure), but you moved near a good one. There's some sort of fish there year-round, for the most part. Weird how the two mountain streams in the Portland area get the best runs in terms in size of the river... pretty sure that's by design. Don't know about the Sandy, but summers aren't native to the Clack.

As far as you trying to get the fish patterns down... good luck with that. People have been trying to figure it out forever. While there's somewhat predictable trends, the fish don't read these forums, and do whatever they want.

D
DrTheopolis
rippin fish lips said:
A lot of the lower willy is slow flowin so a lot of the steelhead shoot righ on theou

Also a factor in Willy Falls vs Bonneville counts. This is my understanding, too. In the mostly-dredged Willy, where the channel is almost the entire width of the river, combined with the very slow flows as it fights the Columbia, I don't think fish hold up, or even slow down through the Harbor. Not much decent "holding" water until above the Sellwood or thereabouts, and I don't think they spend a whole lot of time between the Sellwood to Meldrum stretch, either. The Columbia offers much more variety of water, which I think effects the speed that they travel upstream.

T
todd_brooks
DrTheopolis said:
Also a factor in Willy Falls vs Bonneville counts. This is my understanding, too. In the mostly-dredged Willy, where the channel is almost the entire width of the river, combined with the very slow flows as it fights the Columbia, I don't think fish hold up, or even slow down through the Harbor. Not much decent "holding" water until above the Sellwood or thereabouts, and I don't think they spend a whole lot of time between the Sellwood to Meldrum stretch, either. The Columbia offers much more variety of water, which I think effects the speed that they travel upstream.

Interesting idea!