Sturgeon C&R closure on Willamette

bass
bass
Reminder that sturgeon is closing starting May 1st to even C&R from Oak Grove-Lake Oswego RR bridge up to the falls on the Willie. This is a bigger area than in the past.

E
eugene1
Good reminder.

But I'm wondering what are you gonna do now, bass??

D
DrTheopolis
eugene1 said:
Good reminder.

But I'm wondering what are you gonna do now, bass??

My name isn't bass, but I'll give it a go...

fish below Milwaukie? The Harbor?

bass
bass
I will just fish downstream a ways. Many great bass and sturgeon spots below the closure. I will can launch at Johnson street, Sellwood, Swan Island, etc when I want to fish for sturgeon. When I launch up at George Rogers or Cedaroak they will be pure bass days.

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
What about c&r sturgeon near the water front is that closed?

T
troutmasta
Sturgeon retention or c&r above the falls. That's right folks.

D
DrTheopolis
AYouthFullOfFishing said:
What about c&r sturgeon near the water front is that closed?

Depends which waterfront you're talking about.

If you meant Waterfront Park in Downtown Portland, that's well below the Milwaukie RR Bridge.

bass
bass
troutmasta said:
Sturgeon retention or c&r above the falls. That's right folks.

Great point. Completely open above the falls, C&R below L.O. - Oak Grove RR bridge to mouth. Only closed to any type of sturgeon fishing L.O. - Oak Grove RR bridge to falls.

To be clear, here is the closed area (circled in red).

cdjLx24.jpg

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
that's aw some! Thank you bass

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
I've been c&r on rose quarter side. Pulled in afew 5' can't take em out to take a good pic tho.

C
cdumitru78
So what are some decent bank areas for C & R now with the closures? I could still do Sauvie's Island right?

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
Downtown Portland on the moda center side in between the steel and burnside bridge there's a dock that I fish on. U don't need the traditional 10-12 ft pole because its a 40ft hole right under the dock. Go half way down the dock.

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
Cast to the left, down stream

C
cdumitru78
Thank u, I may try that! Are there any other more remote areas I could try? If I am reading right, sauvie is open as well right? I love fishing away from the madness of the city if at all possible. Thank u though, much appreciated.

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
I agree I like to get out of the city as much as I can. I don't have a car to get where I want. There's a 80ft hole by the sellwood bridge but its hard to get to if you don't have a big pole.

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
And if u don't mind walking a bit Kelly point park is great bank fishin.

D
DrTheopolis
AYouthFullOfFishing said:
Go half way down the dock.

Past the big sign that says "No Fishing"?

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
Where Kelly point? It wasn't afew years ago.

D
DrTheopolis
You can fish anywhere you want at Kelly Point -- saw guys doing it when I rode a bike through there today. I was also on a dock on the Eastbank today, and there were "No Fishing" signs. There was also a dude casting a massive flyrod right OFF the end of the dock. Pretty sure they have some stupid rule against fishing from the downtown area docks.

Knock yourself out, since it's a stupid rule -- I'm just sayin' it likely isn't legal (I seem to remember hearing about someone complaining about it to the city council). Then again, in those areas, I'm pretty sure the cops have bigger fish to fry than some guy fishing.

A
AYouthFullOfFishing
Its illegal at just about any dock downtown except on the one I mentioned