steel Head
Im still not catching anything on my new rod but hoping to soon
not sure what flys to use. useing olive colored any suggestions

S
Spydeyrch
steel Head said:
Im still not catching anything on my new rod but hoping to soon
not sure what flys to use. useing olive colored any suggestions

Well, what are you targeting? Bass, trout, blue gill?

-Spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
where are you fishing?

S
steel Head
trout i have been fishing benson lake and the sandy river at dodge park

brandon4455
brandon4455
try fishing other rivers for trout then the sandy its more of a salmon and steelhead destination. check out the fishing regultions for smaller streams within your reach and try them out. the wilson river is also an excellent place for trout try that out. for stocked trout in lakes/ponds you can't go wrong with olive or black mini buggers and wooly buggers with a small bead head chironomid 18 inches behind it. strip them in or fish them under a strike indicator

S
steel Head
brandon4455 said:
try fishing other rivers for trout then the sandy its more of a salmon and steelhead destination. check out the fishing regultions for smaller streams within your reach and try them out. the wilson river is also an excellent place for trout try that out. for stocked trout in lakes/ponds you can't go wrong with olive or black mini buggers and wooly buggers with a small bead head chironomid 18 inches behind it. strip them in or fish them under a strike indicator
what do you mean by "strip them in"

brandon4455
brandon4455
like take your line that is pinned under your fingers and pull it. medium speed 10 inch long strips with a few pauses

S
steel Head
thanks Brandon I will give that a try tomorrow Im deff not gonna give up on this I have not touched my gear set up other than setting it up for my wife today. on that note she had a few hooked but not caught, great way to get back into fishing after not touching a pole for at least 10 years so im pretty proud going again tomorrow. any other advise for me? Knowlege is power

S
Spydeyrch
steel Head said:
any other advise for me? Knowlege is power

Dude, check out:

howtoflyfish.orvis.com

TONS of info. Listen to the podcasts (all 178 of them) and you will walk away that much more smarter and ready. :clap:

Watch the videos too. Great stuff!!

I also think that one of the best things you could do is go out fishing with someone that has a little bit more experience and see what they are doing, ask questions, get advice, etc.

Good luck out there and enjoy the water!!

-Spydey

S
steel Head
thanks spydey I am going to check that out now. great info guys

brandon4455
brandon4455
if you ever find yourself down this way((Dallas/salem area i would be glad to show you some stuff..let me know.

S
steel Head
brandon4455 said:
if you ever find yourself down this way((Dallas/salem area i would be glad to show you some stuff..let me know.

deffinatly might take a trip that way to take you up on the OFFer. let you know if I do. thanks for the invite

S
steelhead_slayer
Nymphing can be very effective on rivers. Some good flies to try are prince nymphs and pheasant tails

O
OnTheFly
All the above advice is excellent. If you're fishing lakes you need to let the Bugger sink then give it some action like the real bug. Woolly Buggers imitate leeches (and other stuff) but a leech will swim a short distance, stop, swim a short distance, stop etc. so you need to 'strip' or 'retrieve' in line to make it do that. 6 to 12 inch pulls then pause. Mix up the retrieve and pull in intervals e.g. 1...2....pause.....1....pause.....1...2..3....pause...1...pause...and so on. Still no fish, try retrieving faster. Sometimes this will not let the fish get a good look at it and may bite to not let something get away. Also, when you're near the end of the line and the bug is a couple feet below the top, raise the rod up slow to make the fly approach the surface. I can't tell you how many fish have followed my fly all the way to the top then slammed it just before it left the water.

T
Tribal16
You'll never catch anything in benson lake its to shallow. Only time to catch fish is 1-2 weeks after they stock it. The clackamas above north fork has some trout. They are all pretty small but a great place to learn!

S
steel Head
Tribal16 said:
You'll never catch anything in benson lake its to shallow. Only time to catch fish is 1-2 weeks after they stock it. The clackamas above north fork has some trout. They are all pretty small but a great place to learn!

I have been wanting to try around the north fork area

Troutski
Troutski
steelhead_slayer said:
Nymphing can be very effective on rivers. Some good flies to try are prince nymphs and pheasant tails

At first defiantly give nymphing a shot, the fact is that all fish feed under the surface 90% of the time. This time of year give the Salmon fly nymphs a try, very productive fly pattern; give line mending some serious time and effort.
Tight lines and stick with it....

Chuck

Irishrover
Irishrover
There are a couple of real good, easy to read, fun books that will put you way up on the learning curve and help you land a few trout. If you can swing by a place like BiMart pick up the Curtis Creek Manifesto. You can read that book in short order and learn a lot about the how to do it's of fly fishing. Then pick up a copy of Lake Fly Fishing Guide by the late Jim Bradbury and Beverly Miller (also at BiMart). The Lake Guide give you information on a lot of the small lakes around here like Badger, Trillium, Timothy, and even the pools on the upper Clackamas. It tells you when to fish, where to fish and what fly to use. The book even gives directions on how to get to the different places. Don't get me wrong this is a good place to get information too. But if you want to get a ton of information in a short time give those books a shot.;)

S
steel Head
Irishrover said:
There are a couple of real good, easy to read, fun books that will put you way up on the learning curve and help you land a few trout. If you can swing by a place like BiMart pick up the Curtis Creek Manifesto. You can read that book in short order and learn a lot about the how to do it's of fly fishing. Then pick up a copy of Lake Fly Fishing Guide by the late Jim Bradbury and Beverly Miller (also at BiMart). The Lake Guide give you information on a lot of the small lakes around here like Badger, Trillium, Timothy, and even the pools on the upper Clackamas. It tells you when to fish, where to fish and what fly to use. The book even gives directions on how to get to the different places. Don't get me wrong this is a good place to get information too. But if you want to get a ton of information in a short time give those books a shot.;)

good to know I have been looking for books to read I have been told about the first book you mentioned just couldnt find it i will try bimart for it now thanks