Steelhead quiz for fun

T
the_intimidator03
I do recall the umpqua getting chinook, coho, steel(pretty sure summer and winters) so wouldnt it qualify?

troutdude
troutdude
I wasn't asking about salmon, only steel runs. And, AGAIN, NOT streams that simply "have fish in them all year". Rather, streams that have active runs all 12 months. You're all reading too much into the original quiz question.

H
halibuthitman
if a stream "has steelhead in it" then there "is" an active run.. wtf? I belive what you were trying to see if anyone knew which rivers have "true" fall steelhead runs, and true spring steelhead, and winters and summers... that would be a completely different question..

M
Mad dog
M
Mad dog
halibuthitman said:
if a stream "has steelhead in it" then there "is" an active run.. wtf? I belive what you were trying to see if anyone knew which rivers have "true" fall steelhead runs, and true spring steelhead, and winters and summers... that would be a completely different question..

The Umpqua has a true fall run, those fish are destined for Little river....a true late strain of fall steelhead! All native!

P
plumb2fish
Mad dog said:
The Umpqua has a true fall run, those fish are destined for Little river....a true late strain of fall steelhead! All native!
Bruisers!!!!!

P
plumb2fish
Here is a link to this "info
"http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/Steelhead_Flyer_Final.pdf
The chart is on page 2....typical of ODFW....Disinformation.....

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
ODFW doe's not recognize fall and spring runs, they just lump them as a/b runs or early or late runs, but they are a completely seperate runs... silly bottom of their classer's...

F
fishferfun2
troutdude said:
Nope. The list DOES include the Columbia. But, it does NOT have continuous runs all year long. The run(s) only last from June - Sept. (Lower Columbia, to be clear. Upper not listed).

I question you source: On the coast Rogue, Umpqua, Siletz all have wild runs year round. The Nestucca and Trask are non-native wild summers.

The Columbia does have year round steelhead runs and so does the Willamette, although it is believe that wild winter steelhead are non-native to the Willamette.

FYI; the summer steelhead that are found in the Trask are planted in the Wilson and there are wild summers in both the Trask and Wilson that are also non-native.

F
fishferfun2
troutdude said:
I wasn't asking about salmon, only steel runs. And, AGAIN, NOT streams that simply "have fish in them all year". Rather, streams that have active runs all 12 months. You're all reading too much into the original quiz question.

So to correctly answer you original quiz question the answer would be;
Columbia, Clackamas, Willamette, N Santiam, S Santiam, Trask, Wilson, Siletz, Nestucca, Umpqua, and Rogue.... Clearly your question was too vague to specify only three rivers. I have seen the question posed before, What three coastal rivers have native populations of steelhead year round.. The answer is simply Rogue, Umpqua, Siletz.

Just thought I would try to help out on the Natural History of Oregon's steelhead runs.

O
OnTheDrop
The Clackamas has a steelhead wandering into it probably 350 days of the year. . Wouldnt that count ? :D

brandon4455
brandon4455
siletz river 100% is one of them. :lol:

P
PNW Sam
I would say Siletz, which I'm pretty sure of, but I have no idea about any other rivers... I'll just say, uhh... Nestucca and Rogue.

Lol I just read the first page and saw that someone already got it. :lol:

Oh well, I guess I was one third right.

Last edited: