Steel & trout limits raised on the Santiams!!!

C_Run
C_Run
I'd love to catch four steelhead a day on the Santiam. In fact, I'd love to catch one steelhead on the Santiam. Where are those fin clipped trout coming from? I know they used to stock them some years back.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
C_Run said:
I'd love to catch four steelhead a day on the Santiam. In fact, I'd love to catch one steelhead on the Santiam. Where are those fin clipped trout coming from? I know they used to stock them some years back.

I think they always plant fin clipped trout in streams/rivers that have protected native trout...McKenzie, Santium...and so on...cheers...

E
eugene1
Wow, four summer-runs in a day! ONE time I caught three on the willy in a day, out of the hundreds of days I fished.

I just hope this isn't a slippery slope. There has been some murmurs of eliminating the summer steel plants in the Willy basin since they interbreed with native trout and winter steel (albeit at a low level). If you do catch the marked fish, I'd say retain them if you can and take them out of the gene pool. Plus, they taste great!

Best,

S
Socaaron
I went to school with a guy who could. Seriously he would leave on our 45 min lunch break(20 of which was spent getting to the river and back) and return with 2 in his cooler. He just had the touch I guess...that or he was fishing with dynamite..
This was on the South Santiam and lets say 12 years ago.

C
Combat Chuck
C_Run said:
I'd love to catch four steelhead a day on the Santiam. In fact, I'd love to catch one steelhead on the Santiam.
My thoughts exactly!

S
Steeliekiller
I think its going to have its pro and cons.