Spinner fishing-steelhead

S
SailCat
You are getting excellent advice from some seasoned steelheaders here! I fish spinners exclusively and while I may not share the degree of success as say, Chez, I've hooked fish with 'em.

One thing you might consider (particularly once you've re-stocked your arsenal) is casting quartering upstream rather than straight across. In this manner, the lure is "fishing" as it passes in front of you rather than once it gets into the 'zone' downstream. If you're feeling the bottom/rocks every so often, you're fishing where the fish are. You'll find that the finish will actually get knocked off the spinner. The best part, though, is the more you fish spinners, the fewer you'll lose as you develop your 'feel' for it. So you have that to look forward to!

If you haven't done so, reading Jed Davis' book ain't a bad idea, either. I found parts of it enlightening. On "ah-ha" moment for me was the reference comparing the spinner flash to a conventional light bulb and a strobe. And that was years ago ....

D
DrTheopolis
SailCat said:
One thing you might consider (particularly once you've re-stocked your arsenal) is casting quartering upstream rather than straight across. In this manner, the lure is "fishing" as it passes in front of you rather than once it gets into the 'zone' downstream.

Couldn't agree more. Spinners are more effective when cast about 45 degrees upstream and swung through the drift that way. Spoons are much better for fishing the areas downstream from where you are.

As far as "what size," there is no answer. Every situation is a bit different. The whole "well, I caught one on a brass #4, so those work" is not a sound approach. Water levels haven't approached anywhere near summer lows yet. With some color in 50 degree water, your shiny #4 might just be the ticket. Fish that in late July/August, and it's probably not going to be a very productive day for you.

And the main thing you can learn from Jed Davis' book, is that Jed Davis really loves him some Jed Davis. But some of his theories are pretty darned sound. I don't think he's the end-all, be-all of spinner fishing (like he believes), there's definitely solid info.

S
SailCat
DrTheopolis said:
And the main thing you can learn from Jed Davis' book, is that Jed Davis really loves him some Jed Davis. But some of his theories are pretty darned sound. I don't think he's the end-all, be-all of spinner fishing (like he believes), there's definitely solid info.

Agrees, for the most part. What amused me was his choice to consistently use 12 words when two would have said it just as well. Reminds me of the kinda guy you ask "What time is it?" and he tells you how to build a clock. But, yeah, he knows his stuff ....

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
Couldn't agree more. Spinners are more effective when cast about 45 degrees upstream and swung through the drift that way. Spoons are much better for fishing the areas downstream from where you are.

As far as "what size," there is no answer. Every situation is a bit different. The whole "well, I caught one on a brass #4, so those work" is not a sound approach. Water levels haven't approached anywhere near summer lows yet. With some color in 50 degree water, your shiny #4 might just be the ticket. Fish that in late July/August, and it's probably not going to be a very productive day for you.

LOL, I tend to agree about the Jed Davis arrogance, but the point of size and brightness you mention is why I think the book is a good idea to review because it illustrates the notion that warm, sunny, low water and smaller, darker spinners is the way to go. One might find that exceptional fish that will grab a silver #4 in July, but the odds are usually very low. I don't always fish spinners, but when I do, and use that principle and tie on a black #2 in July, at 11:30 AM in direct sun, it is more likely to get hit.

7/21/2013:
2013-07-21_11-39-04_759.jpg

That same idea is also supported in the number of fish caught on a small black spoon in summer.

Oh, and I will quibble about, "are much better for fishing the areas downstream from where you are." Spoons are just better for fishing anywhere...upstream, downstream...just doesn't matter! :) But seriously, given enough depth and current, I almost always cast my spoons upstream so they are at bottom when they are directly in front of me and I can't even remember how many fish have hit before it reaches the spot in front of me.

S
SailCat
I applaud any accomplished spoon fisher. I'm comfortable 'feeling' what a spinner is doing but I haven't figured out how to get that same degree of tactile contact with a spoon.

C
ChezJfrey
SailCat said:
I applaud any accomplished spoon fisher. I'm comfortable 'feeling' what a spinner is doing but I haven't figured out how to get that same degree of tactile contact with a spoon.

<In my best Yoda impersonation>Ah young Jedi, and that is the problem where is. Rely on contact too much, you do. In the force, you must trust. ;)

I try to have as little touch with the tug of the spoon as I can get away with. If I can feel the spoon, but not the bottom, I give it slack. If I can feel the bottom, I will lift a little, then slack some more. I keep a drooping line much of the time and really only maintain contact if I'm hitting too many rocks. As it starts to swing and I can feel it, I back-pedal my spinning reel fast enough to provide slack so it can resume its roll down river. It will start to tighten again, and I do it again if it's not dragging the bottom (that depends on current speed). I stop that if the current slows enough that I can just barely feel the spoon continue its swing, or it settles and I have to slowly draw the tip up to keep it out of the riverbed. Always let it hang for a few seconds before retrieve...that is also critical as quite a number of fish have hit after the count of 2 while lateral movement had stopped :) Though, if you ask a couple of the guys I've shown what I do, I suspect they cursed my name in the beginning as they duplicate and hang up spoon after spoon and all I can do is shrug my shoulders when they ask, "how?"

I used to lose a lot, but now I can go weeks using the same lure and I can only surmise that I somehow developed a sense and intuition to mitigate loss through substantial trial and error that formed a technique that I can't fully explain as I think some of it became unconscious action that I haven't really stopped to analyze. I just always remember, "a common mistake is not fishing low enough and fishing too fast," and wanted to ensure I don't fall into that trap; everything I do is aimed at staying low without dragging the bottom and minimizing almost all lure action induced by line tension...I started catching many more fish that way, so now you'll see me out there with a drooping line half the time. Gotta pay attention to it though, because you won't feel some of the hits.

Reactions: FishFinger
S
SailCat
On the contrary. From your description, it sounds like you've developed a keen sense of feel, ChezJ. Thanks for the insight but, damn, I love my spinners.

And I'm afraid I qualify as neither Jedi nor young. After six decades of fishing, I'll probably leave the wobbly metal to you, SpoonMaster.

B
BamaDan
Thanks for this thread. I went earlier this week and applied my newfound knowledge. Everybody else was drifting and nobody was catching. I found a promising boulder away from where everybody else was fishing, swung my modified copper spoon -muted to reduce flash- parallel to it and slowly backed it into the current break when a nice 27" steelhead slammed it. I'm becoming a believer in the metal.

Reactions: rogerdodger
C
ChezJfrey
BamaDan said:
Thanks for this thread. I went earlier this week and applied my newfound knowledge. Everybody else was drifting and nobody was catching. I found a promising boulder away from where everybody else was fishing, swung my modified copper spoon -muted to reduce flash- parallel to it and slowly backed it into the current break when a nice 27" steelhead slammed it. I'm becoming a believer in the metal.

Ha! Excellent!

S
steelhead_slayer
Does anyone have a Jed Davis book lying around they want to sell?

D
DrTheopolis
I guess in my earlier advice, I omitted the direct upstream spinner cast. Into the seam in the current straight above you (if you are working upstream, and haven't walked past it yet) along the near bank. Bomb the spinner up as far as you can, reel like mad til you have the belly in, then right at current speed with a very slight belly. Pretty deadly on close in holding water, and you'll know when you got a bite (not quite as effective as in winter in high water, but works).

I AM going to learn spoons for downstream presentation. Haven't even tried in 20 years, but I know it's the extension of my passion -- spinners.

B
bigboy70
steelhead_slayer said:
Does anyone have a Jed Davis book lying around they want to sell?

Check freddies they carry them and most the time are beat to hell, I found one torn and tattered and asked if it would be discounted they told me 10% waited a few weeks even more tears and up to 20% off and then they had a sale of there home stuff and it fell into that category some how so ended up getting it for 45% off

D
DrTheopolis
Mr. Big -- you picked up a great read. The theories on colors and lighting, Jed pretty much nails it. But the thing to remember, is at the time it was published (over 20 years? Where does the time go?), Arrogant Jed was trying to get rich selling spinner parts. One of the things was tubing for the hook shank (at about a 3 million percent markup) -- in my experience, the colored tubing is inconsequential, does absolutely nothing. While silver-plate might be a little better in winter...

It's more about where you put the lure, not what it looks like. While reflection is important to avoid for summers with direct sun (an important point to be gleaned from Jed), technique is still king.

In summer, a Marks-A-Lot is you'll thank me.r friend. Remember this, and you'll thank me someday. I hope you enjoy tossing spinners, since it's my passion for a long time. We're a patient breed.

If I could only fish one technique for the rest of my life, it's a no-brainer. And when you really get it dialed in, the tackle bill drops dramatically. I don't lose many these days, which is the result of an expensive, long education. There's a "zen factor" to it that can't be taught. At some point, you don't feel the bottom -- you feel when you're just above the bottom. It's an art.

S
SailCat
I share your passion for the spinner, DrTheopolis, and agree whole-heatedly with the statement, "you'll know when you got a bite ...." It ain't like drift fishin,' where you've gotta sort out rocks, leaves and sticks from a pickup, huh ....

S
SandyChrome
Finally got a steelhead with a spoon. Wish i had figured out how to fish them sooner!

C
ChezJfrey
SandyChrome said:
Finally got a steelhead with a spoon. Wish i had figured out how to fish them sooner!

So sad...yet another fish bites the dust due to the almighty spoon ;)

S
SailCat
Chez, as the OFF Spoon Guru, does a steelhead hit a wobbler as they do a spinner? In my experience, they will either stop the latter dead or hit it like a train., ergo my remark above regarding no doubt about it.

C
ChezJfrey
SailCat said:
Chez, as the OFF Spoon Guru, does a steelhead hit a wobbler as they do a spinner? In my experience, they will either stop the latter dead or hit it like a train., ergo my remark above regarding no doubt about it.

Pretty much the same...sometimes it just stops moving and you feel nothing, sometimes it's a tug, tug, shake, sometimes it's a 'rod doubles and nearly flies out of your hands' freight train. Usually it's the jerk/tug and unmistakable, but you will get the occasional sneaky take that you've gotta be watching the line for movement. But you live for that last one...BOOOM, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)