Small stream salmon fishing

D
Drew9870
I personally don't see much difference in a yarn egg pattern and a plastic egg pattern, if it is attached to a leader and a weight, anything is bound to happen in the gravity of the water and the moving current, all it takes really is a line, hook, and current, could be a spinner. Just because it is or is not hooked in the corner of the mouth, doesn't prove anything, a hook can turn any which way, and the gravity of the water + a hookset can really make for an unpredictable result. Don't think I am saying the whole Salmon won't eat anything, because they ''can'' be curious at time, they don't have hands.

When I see pics of people on a small stream 'drift fishing', I just keep my lips sealed, stick a freakin diver out there or back bounce some eggs and a spin n glo onto their noggin.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
bleh

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
WOW! :shock: I wasn't really intending to start a mini-battle in this thread. I was just pointing out that the stream that those guys were catching the salmon in was quite small. I was amazed at how small the waters were and how big the fish were. That is all that I was saying. The place is beautiful and I would have a heyday C&R'n trout all day long. :lol:

I can understand that some people have a passion and strong opinions regarding certain aspects of fishing/places/techniques/etc. But I really hope that no one who read/replied to this thread was offended, because that would be quite poignant to have it end that way. It was supposed to be something interesting to look at and curious to see how others fish for larger salmon.

I personally enjoyed reading the article and seeing the place. The fish were beautiful to observe and I am glad that they shared it. Anyone could comment and state that they were flossing, snagging, or using any other means of unlawful catching to collect the fish. But the article doesn't state that they did and even if it is the "norm" to assume such a thing due to the surrounding circumstances (being the water levels, type of gear, size of fish, time of year/season, etc.), it doesn't mean that it actually happened that way. Without any proof of it happening that way, it is just all subjective input based upon personal opinions regarding a possible, and possibly plausible, outcome.

And to cause/participate in a debate regarding such a trivial thing seems like such a waste of time and somewhat puerile. I can agree that having debates is healthy and needed at times. And this forum is a perfect place to have them and to express one's opinion openly. But to start one over something so insignificant is just droll.

I am not pointing to one individual or to any group of individuals for that matter. I don't care who said what or when they said it. And I hope that who ever reads this post will not act like a child and say "Hmm!!! :mad: Well I am never going to post in his threads again!!! He offended me and is a complete moron. He doesn't know what he is talking about" That is not what I am trying to get at.

I just hope that in the future, it can be taken for what it is. Something that someone else posted because they wanted to share it. They thought it was interesting and thought that perhaps others would have thought the same too. Not something to start a mini-battle with. That kills the enjoyment that the original poster intended it to be and takes away from his/her own personal enjoyment of sharing it with others.

I hope you all can see what I mean and that I am not pointing any fingers at anyone nor am I trying to shun people. I also hope that y'all won't shun me now. :pray:

Take care y'all and I hope to see ya on the water.

-Spydey

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
Nice link, Spydey. Thanks for sharing.

GD

T
todd_brooks
Wow maybe some of you should spend some time looking/reading that board before you jump to conclusions. The young guy in those shots,Teddy, is studying to be a fish biologist or the like. He and Matt both have the highest respect for fish and are as ethical a fisher person as you'll ever find and I guarantee you they weren't snagging. Did some of you even read that post or did you just look at the pretty pictures?
There has been Off'ers dropping in over there like never before, I think because of how juvenile this place gets at times. I like to see the reports and sharing of knowledge but this place is like high school sometimes and no thats not a good thing.

P.S. That creek has no or next to no wild run of Chinook and they release over 3.5 million smolt in that creek alone. Can you say egg wagen?

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsteel and brandon4455
brandon4455
brandon4455
oooh yeah it's so ethical to fish for salmon in 1ft deep water where they probably spawn

M
mgdguy
This thread reminds me of another fishing forum... :rolleyes:

S
spark
I think Scappoose is near enough to drive with my kids lived in Beaverton. Could you guys give me the stream which we can fly fishing with safe for fishing?
Saw the original link(small stream and salmon fishing) but looks like Scappoose has a specific season for fishing. Can't find the regulation.
Would you please give me the page number that I can refer as well?

Thank you,
spark

H
halibuthitman
Scappoose creek is closed to all salmon and steelhead fishing