Slay fest

O
OnTheDrop
This weekend it was. . As the rain came a lot of fish seemed to follow... Go figureee.. :shock: Floated a river my two buddies or I have never floated before. We headed over to the Alsea on a wimb early Sunday morning and came to find the river populated with only a few boats...Needless to say fishing was onnn and fish were being hooked by most. Atleast a fish or two a boat. We did ALRIGHT Sunday, but today had it more dialed down. The drift from Mill Cr. to Campbell has so much prime steelhead water we fished all d:cool:ay both days and still couldn't hit half the holes. It's steelhead heaven... And today with only one boat in sight besides ours was a great way to end our little two day fishing adventure. We hooked quite a bit of fish and lost a lot more... Most fish came on yarn balls, pink worms ( Couple awesome strikes ) and the usual epic plug smackdowns... Was great to get out with some of my best buds that I've grown up with. With all of our lives leading different directions these past few days have been epic. Here's some pics from the two days, and we got A LOT of awesome footage on our GoPro's. The new 3Black edition takes some incredible video and I am working on compiling it down into one video. Will be neat to see...

• P1000523.jpg
  • P1000524.jpg
  • P1000528.jpg
  • P1000531.jpg
  • P1000534.jpg
  • P1000536.jpg
  • P1000540.jpg
  • P1000542.jpg
  • P1000551.jpg
Reactions: C_Run and eugene1
S
Scott M
Holly Moley!! Nicely done!! Great looking fresh run fish!

J
JeannaJigs
Good to see some fish might finally be making an appearance. Awesome report.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Sweet couple of days! Nice work. I need to hit that river someday.

Y
Yogidabear
Note to self grab the boat and hit the alsea. :) way to go nice fish

O
OnTheDrop
Thanks all, Was truly a blast considering I haven't been out much at all lately.

O
OnTheDrop
Yogidabear said:

Haha! The only reason we headed there because we thought it would have the least amount of pressure....I fished it once by the hatchery from the bank a month ago and the fish counts were so poooooor I couldn't believe it. We really weren't anticipating anything stellar at all.

S
steelhead1
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Haha! The only reason we headed there because we thought it would have the least amount of pressure....I fished it once by the hatchery from the bank a month ago and the fish counts were so poooooor I couldn't believe it. We really weren't anticipating anything stellar at all.
Right on dudes! Think we launched about the same time as you guys,in the blue willys. Epic day!:D

Casting Call
Casting Call
Boy! Can't wait to see the Vid. Nice going guys. That's what memories are made of. The tug is the drug

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice fish. Congrats

J
jabs67
Awesome report!!!!! Great pics. Way to get after em!! :cool:

C
ChezJfrey
Yogidabear said:

I don't know man, if I were you, I'd stick to what you've been doing...you're getting pretty dialed in to wherever you've already been fishing :)

Nice work Steelmon, glad the trip with your buddies turned out well.

N
need to fish
way to get on those fish love the blood shot

R
rippin fish lips
Nice fish guys!! I have been thinking about changing it up and hittin the alsea lately. Seems like there is still a decent number down low.

O
OnTheDrop
steelhead1 said:
Right on dudes! Think we launched about the same time as you guys,in the blue willys. Epic day!:D

Absoooluteeelyy!

U
underparbilly
Great day for you guys. Way to go.

F
fuson22
I also fished the Alsea last weekend. I also had some luck. Not as much as you guys did, but either way it was a blast! Friday I fished the holes I have always fished. Knowing that with the current rains that were coming down it was gonna be a good weekend to fish it. Hooked 2 landed 1, but my bro hooked a handful and landed 2 also anyone else we talked to on the bank was having the same luck or better. I've been wasting tackle on the Snag-Slaw since early Jan, because the Alsea just didn't have the numbers yet. But I've fished the Alsea for years so I knew that water rise (even if it was just a little) would have a good impact on the fishing. Then it rained some more on into Sunday. Went out with a buddy and fished from the bank on a couple different spots that are only really fishable when the water level is at around 5.00, Sunday water was around 4.92 (close enough) and the fishing was even better. Got a late start and only had a few hours to fish, but my buddy hooked and landed probably in the top 3 BRIGHTEST steelies I've ever seen! Then I hooked and lost 1, then hooked a MONSTER native. Lot's of red and just a beautiful colorful fish. I fish 10lb P-line CXX ultra-green which I consider some strong ass line. I fought this toad for probably 6 or 7 min's, and every time I got him up near the net he would run and tear off more line each time. Finally I could feel him starting to tire out and my buddy was 50 yards down the bank trying to net the monster, but he was NOT done yet. I had my drag as tight as I possibly could and was thumbing my spool as hard as I felt comfortable without breaking the fish off. Then boom... Fish off... It broke off rite at my hook. But oh well, what can ya do, it was one hell of a fight, with one hell of a fish, surely the biggest fish I've hooked this year. I would have had to let the beautiful nate go anyways. So now I at least know the fish are in there, so I can FINALLY fish my personal favorite coastal river. I'm hoping the water is still decently high enough to float it this weekend! Question's........ How long is the float from Mill cr. to Campbell? And is it sketchy water, or can someone with moderate oarsman skills navigate it? Any tips/ advice for that float would be GREATLY appreciated :)

bass
bass
Beautiful fish. Nice to see folks having a good day! Thanks for sharing.

O
OnTheDrop
fuson22 said:
I also fished the Alsea last weekend. I also had some luck. Not as much as you guys did, but either way it was a blast! Friday I fished the holes I have always fished. Knowing that with the current rains that were coming down it was gonna be a good weekend to fish it. Hooked 2 landed 1, but my bro hooked a handful and landed 2 also anyone else we talked to on the bank was having the same luck or better. I've been wasting tackle on the Snag-Slaw since early Jan, because the Alsea just didn't have the numbers yet. But I've fished the Alsea for years so I knew that water rise (even if it was just a little) would have a good impact on the fishing. Then it rained some more on into Sunday. Went out with a buddy and fished from the bank on a couple different spots that are only really fishable when the water level is at around 5.00, Sunday water was around 4.92 (close enough) and the fishing was even better. Got a late start and only had a few hours to fish, but my buddy hooked and landed probably in the top 3 BRIGHTEST steelies I've ever seen! Then I hooked and lost 1, then hooked a MONSTER native. Lot's of red and just a beautiful colorful fish. I fish 10lb P-line CXX ultra-green which I consider some strong ass line. I fought this toad for probably 6 or 7 min's, and every time I got him up near the net he would run and tear off more line each time. Finally I could feel him starting to tire out and my buddy was 50 yards down the bank trying to net the monster, but he was NOT done yet. I had my drag as tight as I possibly could and was thumbing my spool as hard as I felt comfortable without breaking the fish off. Then boom... Fish off... It broke off rite at my hook. But oh well, what can ya do, it was one hell of a fight, with one hell of a fish, surely the biggest fish I've hooked this year. I would have had to let the beautiful nate go anyways. So now I at least know the fish are in there, so I can FINALLY fish my personal favorite coastal river. I'm hoping the water is still decently high enough to float it this weekend! Question's........ How long is the float from Mill cr. to Campbell? And is it sketchy water, or can someone with moderate oarsman skills navigate it? Any tips/ advice for that float would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Thanks man, Sounds like you killed it too. Yeah I heard the bankies up high wasted them. I bet the pressure on that river is going to be nuts this week and weekend. Thank god it's not one of my go to's... ( Well, it might be soon. Haha. ) There really is so much water though its incredible. 50 boats could do the stretch we were on and everyone would have there own hole. The Mills to Campbell is an all day event i'd say. We made a mistake the first day and did Mill to Missouri.. ( Rowed ass for 45 mins at atleast 10mph to get back before dark ) Nothing too dangerous on either float. I'd really like to take my toon down when I don't got access to the drift boat sometime. Couple rapids, and if proceeded with common sense there shouldn't be an issue.

Let the lines stay tight..

M
Montana
Nice day of fishing! I need to get me a few of those!