Siuslaw steel head

S
Steel head stalker
I am looking for some information on the Siuslaw River and the Whitaker creek area on the Siuslaw. I am bank fishing and do have chest waders if needed. Anyone with knowledge of the area and any public access would be greatly appreciated. I want to hit the area some time in January and also want to know if that is a good time? Also I noticed on a drive over to Florence where the tide waters hit there are some docks along the river. Are any of them accessible by the public and when can one catch steel head and salmon down there?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I am not aware of anyone fishing for or catching steelhead in the tidewater here, steelhead is an upriver show. there is good bank access up Lake Creek and also up the Siuslaw as you approach Whitaker Creek, just drive along these stretches and you will see cars parked from now through the end of March, especially when this river gauge is in the 7' to 9' range...

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?MPLO3

K
killigan
rogerdodger;n600606 said:
just drive along these stretches and you will see cars parked from now through the end of March, especially when this river gauge is in the 7' to 9' range...

I agree with rogerdodger, take a drive through on a Saturday when the river is prime and observe where and what anglers are doing. You will see quickly where to fish.

hobster
hobster
What they said^^^ January is also a great time, peak of the run. They are starting to show up, I landed my first winter yesterday but it was a native so away she went. Awesome story and fight but I didn't take any pictures so I didn't post. After this next drop....................

Reactions: killigan
troutdude
troutdude
^^^ What they said. That charts shows the range--that Roger posted--will be perfect, as the river drops. But yeah...it's GAME ON right now, on all coastal streams!

Lets us know how you do, and share your stories and pics. It's been WAAAAAY to quiet, on here lately.

Tight lines,

TD

hobster
hobster
troutdude;n600623 said:
It's been WAAAAAY to quiet, on here lately.

No doubt!

K
KevinB
I've been watching this forum for a couple of weeks now looking for anything on the Siuslaw. I'm coming out Thursday to Veneta from Colorado to spend Christmas and New Years. Been tying egg sucking leeches and glow bugs like crazy to try for some winter steelies. This will be my first time on the river this time of year. I'm usually there in the summer for my vacations(in-laws live there) and do pretty well on that river for sea run cutts. I've scoped out lots of places that I envision as great runs for steelies.

Admin
Admin
troutdude;n600623 said:
It's been WAAAAAY to quiet, on here lately.

May be it's because our unofficial Mayor got too old and should be reelected? :D

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Anatoliy;n600636 said:
May be it's because our unofficial Mayor got too old and should be reelected? :D

Ha ha ha. Let's hope not. Have a very Merry Christmas, my friend!

Reactions: Admin
K
killigan
Steel head stalker;n600596 said:
I am looking for some information on the Siuslaw River and the Whitaker creek area on the Siuslaw.

Saw this write-up in the RG and I thought it might be some good info. Cheers