Satisfying days carpin'

F
flocaster
Fished from 7am-7pm today and got 3 fish. 1 on boiled popcorn kernels, 1 on sweet corn and 1 on bread. They weighed 8lbs, 11.25lbs and 12.5lbs respectively. I decided late in the evening to try bread on the surface since i was in a fairly duck free spot lol. And wouldn't you know it the big one slurped the bread right off the surface...it was pretty sweet! My first carp on the surface and my new personal best. A little slow but worth the wait for 3 fish totaling 31.75lbs! Sorry no pics but i promise to make sure my camera is charged next time hahaha. All in all a pretty good day and i even found my new favorite pond! :thumb:

Last edited:
U
universalfishermatt
Nice job!! :D keep at it and in no time you'll be a pro! Why not use your phone as camera too? I do it Lol but I have a portable charger I keep with me on long sessions. Either way that's awesome you hit your pb!

T
Troutslayerjenn
Nice job! I've never fished for carp but want to. I hear they are really fun to catch. Can you fish for them all year or is there a session that is better? Can't wait for future pics.

S
sapo
For me, carp are kinda boring but I've had some insane hits at a pond right by my house...(After that the carp aren't super fun to fight unless they're really big). I almost lost my rod on a 20# carp, it hit so hard. I've heard that carp are most aggressive in August/summertime...They are a warm water species, so the fishing is best in late spring into mid-fall. Carp fishing should still be decent considering we've had a very warm October.

F
flocaster
Troutslayerjenn said:
Nice job! I've never fished for carp but want to. I hear they are really fun to catch. Can you fish for them all year or is there a session that is better? Can't wait for future pics.

I only started targeting them a few weeks ago but the fishing has been pretty decent, lots of visible cruising and feeding fish. I've seen videos of people catching them on partially iced over ponds and rivers so i'm sure they can be caught year round but their metabolism slows down when the water is cold so the have a tendency to feed much less. I personally prefer to sight fish for them and with polarized sunglasses you can watch them take your bait...it's pretty exciting if you ask me lol

S
sapo
Ya, some people really get into carp fishing, and that's cool. I mean, I hate fishing dirty water, but when fishing dirty water is the only time that I fish for carp. When I'm fishing clean water, I focus my efforts on fish I prefer over carp. For any of you in the Portland/Tigard area, there's a few "secret" ponds that have 20+ pound carp in them, I can pm u if you want the locations. I know the ponds have 20-30 pound carp because I've seen and hooked them. On a 4 wt fly rod, they are a blast.

F
flocaster
sapo said:
Ya, some people really get into carp fishing, and that's cool. I mean, I hate fishing dirty water, but when fishing dirty water is the only time that I fish for carp. When I'm fishing clean water, I focus my efforts on fish I prefer over carp. For any of you in the Portland/Tigard area, there's a few "secret" ponds that have 20+ pound carp in them, I can pm u if you want the locations. I know the ponds have 20-30 pound carp because I've seen and hooked them. On a 4 wt fly rod, they are a blast.

Know of any in the Eugene/Springfield area? lol I'm always on the lookout for new spots!

T
Troutslayerjenn
I would love a little help with places to go for my first carp fishing experience. Also when you fly fish for them do you use weighted line or floating? I'm also very new to fly fishing. Thanks!

M
montym
Check out posts from igquick and universalfishermatt, they are the carp kind here, Jenn.

M
montym
Silly phone, carp kings became carp kind. Not able to edit from the phone.

F
flocaster
Troutslayerjenn said:
I would love a little help with places to go for my first carp fishing experience. Also when you fly fish for them do you use weighted line or floating? I'm also very new to fly fishing. Thanks!

If you're ever in my area i'd be glad to see if i can put you on some fish

T
Troutslayerjenn
Thanks montym I will defiantly check them out!

If Im ever in your area flocaster I will let ya know, thanks.

S
sapo
flocaster said:
Know of any in the Eugene/Springfield area? lol I'm always on the lookout for new spots!

No, but I think there are some threads about some ponds in that area...However the Mckenzie river offers some excellent salmon, steelhead, and trout fishing, and that's in your area! Also, a "secret" spot (not sure if its secret but I've never seen anyone fishing there): Leaburg canal, below leaburg lake. The mckenzie river is below leaburg lake, but there is a pull off on the road right next to a canal called Leaburg canal, its literally 200 feet from the mckenzie but the canal has a lot of trout...most of them are near the bridge where you park and where the dam pours water into the canal, 20+ inch trout I've hooked in there.

F
flocaster
Made it out for a few hours this evening and managed to pick up 1 fish. She went 14.5lbs (new personal best) and my scale only reads to 15 so it might be time to get a bigger one lol. Sorry about the pic quality but it was nearly dark

• carp pics 001.jpg
  • carp pics 002.jpg
  • carp pics 003.jpg
U
universalfishermatt
That's a fatty!!! Stocking up on fat reserves for the winter! :D

F
flocaster
universalfishermatt said:
That's a fatty!!! Stocking up on fat reserves for the winter! :D

Thanks! The pics don't show it very well but she had quite the pudgy belly lol

F
flocaster
So i decided to be a little bold and try frying up some carp...aside from getting used to the Y bones its really a lot better than i would have expected! Kinda reminds me of fish sticks without the "ocean" flavor lol. Here's a few pics just to prove i'm not lying hahaha

Last edited:
M
montym
Aw man, that's making me hungry. You can try without the batter as well, I posted an Indian recipe a few days ago.

F
flocaster
I'll have to check that out

F
flocaster
Well, I'm getting ready to head out and try those "super duper" boilies i made last night. Hopefully i'll have lots of pics to post later