Salmon rod

P
Pni_fisherdude
Hello everyone, I have recently acquired a Penn GTO 220 level wind reel from a garage sale and I am wondering if any of you have advice on a rod that is affordable and would make a good match for the reel. I am thinking I will be using it mostly on the Columbia and the bigger rivers. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
JB

T
taconight2night
I'm guessing that this is a fairly large reel by looking at the specs and pics. This looks like a good reel to do some salmon and steelhead plunking. I would recommend and good plunking rod, pretty long (around 10 feet or so) with a lot of backbone. Go into a Fisherman's Marine store and as to look at plunking rods!

P
Pni_fisherdude
Yeah it is fairly large. And I will use it for plunking in the future but I figured I could throw it on a smaller rod and do some back bouncing/trolling etc... With it. I am a cheap guy and if I can get away with doing something like that I will.
Thanks
JB

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

P
Pni_fisherdude
Well I ended up getting a 7' tiger series ugly stick. A medium/light rod. It should work great. No I can't wait to get on the water

O
OnTheDrop
Pni_fisherdude said:
Well I ended up getting a 7' tiger series ugly stick. A medium/light rod. It should work great. No I can't wait to get on the water

Good luck dude, Fall Nooks will be here in no time...

P
Pni_fisherdude
Cool thanks dude. I should be going out this Friday. I'll give a report on how we do.
JB

C
coyo7e
I finally caved in and hit up Mazama sporting goods in Eugene, and picked up a 2 pc, 9' Okuma SST and a Penn Battle II 5000. I put 30# hi-vis braid no the Penn, and I've also got a pretty large Cabela's Salt Striker full of mono in case someone decides to take offense at the braided line. Looking forward to this season.