Salmon catch

C
CoastalMoe
Disclaimer - please know this comment is from a new member who never fished rivers before nor has yet to wet my line in your waters...:sad:

Can someone please describe in clearer detail "Flossing"...

Is it a technique being used in which the angler is attempting to force or direct their artificial gear through the open mouth of a resting salmon with the attempt to snag the jaw?

or is it illegal gear fished along bottom provoking the fish to strike unnaturally?

Sorry but these are the very important things I want to fully understand before I ever touch your prestine waters...

F
fishsauce
JeannaJigs said:
kids...play nice. That said, even if it wasn't unlawful, flossing is entirely unethical and you won't find many friends on here agreeing with you that it's the only way to catch fish. We have MANY members that fish eagle creek via ethical means. Please do not promote unethical methods, this is a site built with the intent to help new anglers get into the sport and steering them wrong from the start isn't helping anyone.

+1

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
CoastalMoe said:
Disclaimer - please know this comment is from a new member who never fished rivers before nor has yet to wet my line in your waters...:sad:

Can someone please describe in clearer detail "Flossing"...

Is it a technique being used in which the angler is attempting to force or direct their artificial gear through the open mouth of a resting salmon with the attempt to snag the jaw?

or is it illegal gear fished along bottom provoking the fish to strike unnaturally?

Sorry but these are the very important things I want to fully understand before I ever touch your prestine waters...

I would describe it as a technique that uses a sinker then a long leader with a hook on the end dressed with something simple like a piece of floss, it is cast across fish and the goal is to get the leader to pass across the head or mouth of a fish then jerk it back so as to snag the fish in the head area so as to retain it as not being foul hooked.

In areas where flossing/snagging gets extremely bad, they will impose a fly/bobber fishing only rule during the salmon run, such as this:

"Anti-snagging bobber rule in effect - September 1 through November 3 angling is restricted to fly angling and bobber angling only with 1 single point hook. Fly angling gear must include a strike indicator. Bobber angling gear must include a bobber and a leader no longer than 36 inches in length. Any weight (except the bobber or strike indicator) may be no more than 36 inches from the hook when suspended vertically.
The leader below the bobber or strike indicator must remain suspended in the water column and not resting on the river bottom. "

C_Run
C_Run
rogerdodger said:
I would describe it as a technique that uses a sinker then a long leader with a hook on the end dressed with something simple like a piece of floss, it is cast across fish and the goal is to get the leader to pass across the head or mouth of a fish then jerk it back so as to snag the fish in the head area so as to retain it as not being foul hooked.

In areas where flossing/snagging gets extremely bad, they will impose a fly/bobber fishing only rule during the salmon run, such as this:

"Anti-snagging bobber rule in effect - September 1 through November 3 angling is restricted to fly angling and bobber angling only with 1 single point hook. Fly angling gear must include a strike indicator. Bobber angling gear must include a bobber and a leader no longer than 36 inches in length. Any weight (except the bobber or strike indicator) may be no more than 36 inches from the hook when suspended vertically.
The leader below the bobber or strike indicator must remain suspended in the water column and not resting on the river bottom. "

Our friend's daughter was telling my wife about all the salmon she caught over at Three Rivers last year. She told my wife she was using a corkie and an 8 foot leader. That's flossing. I don't think she read the regulations lately. I need to have a chat with that gal next time I see her.

S
Steelheader4Life
I don't condone flossing in anyway, shape, or form but obviously the kid is just misguided. It's sad because I see it on regular basis, young people being taught by their father, uncle, friend, etc. how to floss. I have no experience fishing Eagle Creek but maybe someone that does would be willing to show him the right way to catch those ho's. I would guess it is the same as the coastal fish which is spinners or bobber and eggs but sometimes all someone needs is a little guidance to get on the right path.

B
burlajohnny
Steelheader4Life said:
I don't condone flossing in anyway, shape, or form but obviously the kid is just misguided. It's sad because I see it on regular basis, young people being taught by their father, uncle, friend, etc. how to floss. I have no experience fishing Eagle Creek but maybe someone that does would be willing to show him the right way to catch those ho's. I would guess it is the same as the coastal fish which is spinners or bobber and eggs but sometimes all someone needs is a little guidance to get on the right path.
I wasn't taught by anyone. I just did what the other people at the place did.

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Steelheader4Life said:

agreed. my posts (and I suspect those from Dr.T) were intended to come across as an attempt to instruct and help avoid an expensive citation. a stern lecture if you like.

I would like to apologize to burlajohnny for assuming that he was aware of the regulations; I definitely would have worded things differently...cheers, roger

T
Troutslayerjenn
So this may sound dumb but I'm still not 100% on what flossing is? I have fished for salmon with a simple hook, corky and yarn with about 36-46" of lead line. Is that flossing? If so please let me know because I don't want to fish like that if it is. Thanks.

C
coyo7e
Troutslayerjenn, you're aware of what "snagging" is correct? When people will drag a large hook setup across the body of a fish which isn't interested in biting - I've seen some posts around here of how people will do this directly below hatcheries when fish are released, for instance. Flossing is roughly the same thing, except you are trying harder to drag the hook through the fish' mouth - kind of like flossing his teeth for him. I was kind of foggy on the terms when I first started coming to fishing forums but it seems to be a well-used bit of slang that's been around for a while.

Basically, if you're trying to set a hook on a fish that's not taking it on purpose, you're flossing or snagging depending on where you hit them, from how I understand. I'm no expert so anyone please feel free to correct me.

S
sapo
@coyo7e and troutslayerjenn, troutslayerjenn is definitely not flossing. A corky and yarn with 3 or 4 feet of leader is drift fishing, which is an effective method to fish (VERY effective on the Deschutes) and is not illegal. When you see people with the same setup, but with an 8 foot leader, that's when you know they are flossing.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sapo said:
@coyo7e and troutslayerjenn, troutslayerjenn is definitely not flossing. A corky and yarn with 3 or 4 feet of leader is drift fishing, which is an effective method to fish (VERY effective on the Deschutes) and is not illegal. When you see people with the same setup, but with an 8 foot leader, that's when you know they are flossing.

agreed, that long leader set-up and a snagging process (such as periodically jerking the line aggressively with rod tip low to the water).

S
Steelheader4Life
burlajohnny said:
I wasn't taught by anyone. I just did what the other people at the place did.

Then you were taught by those "other people" at Eagle Creek.

S
Steelheader4Life
rogerdodger said:
agreed. my posts (and I suspect those from Dr.T) were intended to come across as an attempt to instruct and help avoid an expensive citation. a stern lecture if you like.

I would like to apologize to burlajohnny for assuming that he was aware of the regulations; I definitely would have worded things differently...cheers, roger

I know they were but I don't think that he did. That's all I was trying at say. I have converted a few flossers over the years and most of the time all they need is a little direction on how to really fish.

Markk
Markk
I am not familiar with the term flossing. It sounds to me that it is an attempt to skirt the law and legally snag or foul hook salmon. I am not impressed.

C
coyo7e
Markk said:
I am not familiar with the term flossing. It sounds to me that it is an attempt to skirt the law and legally snag or foul hook salmon. I am not impressed.
I think that is almost entirely correct? Flossing allows you to (in theory) set a hook in or near the head/mouth, which means that if someone stops to check your catch, there's no "proof" of snagging, as was mentioned in passing earlier in the thread I think?

That was why I added the caveat "trying to set a hook in a fish that's not interested or attempting to take the hook".. It's the kind of thing I tried to do when I was a little kid fishing in gravel ponds - I didn't know better until I thought about the reasoning and ethics of hunting/fishing and pursuing game in a sportsmanlike manner.

D
downes157
JeannaJigs said:
kids...play nice. That said, even if it wasn't unlawful, flossing is entirely unethical and you won't find many friends on here agreeing with you that it's the only way to catch fish. We have MANY members that fish eagle creek via ethical means. Please do not promote unethical methods, this is a site built with the intent to help new anglers get into the sport and steering them wrong from the start isn't helping anyone.

Where are some spots to bank fish at eagle creek? Thinking about heading up there but have only been a handful of times... Any suggestions?

D
DrTheopolis
downes157 said:
Where are some spots to bank fish at eagle creek? Thinking about heading up there but have only been a handful of times... Any suggestions?

With the low water, head for the mouth (accessable from Bonnie Lure Park, if you can find a place to park).

For myself, I hate fishing up in the creek itself. Crowded, and the snaggers kind of make me sick. Plenty of places to fish on the Clack itself.

D
downes157
Well I am new to this area and looking for any information on where there are some good spots to bank fish. I dont have a boat so I am a little limited so please feel free to share places to go. Maybe even a Honey hole or two would be nice

D
DrTheopolis
downes157 said:
Maybe even a Honey hole or two would be nice

Hehehe.

Only time you'll ever be shown my "secret" spots will be in person.

D
downes157
DrTheopolis said:
Hehehe.

Only time you'll ever be shown my "secret" spots will be in person.

ok... Well do you have any locations you could direct me to? Like I said I am new up here and just am looking for some guidance.. Thanks